Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Respironics vs ResMed Differences
RE: Respironics vs ResMed Differences
To return to the video showing the two algorithms, it is worth noting that the minimum pressure was set to 4 so of course the aggressive action of the Resmed would be better. However, if you set your min and max pressure either side of your titrated level then I strongly suspect that the Respironics would deal with OSAs just as effectively.

I've just bought (but not yet received) a Remstar 560 APAP. I am currently using an S9 loaner so I will soon see if there is a significant difference. Those who've used both suggest that there will be little to no difference so this research encouraged me to purchase the Philips.

However, if the Respironics doesn't work as well as the Resmed, as I got it for a very good price, I am sure I can I sell it and recoup most if not all of my money considering the cost of APAP here in Australia. The deciding factor for me, btw, was the 12 volt option
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know much about the whole respironics vs resmed business but I can tell you that I recently got an airsense 10 and it makes my m-series respironics look defective.

I had 2 m-series units one was the auto c-flex and the other was the auto a-flex and both of them would go to max pressure constantly (regardless of how high i set max pressure to). The resmed airsense 10 goes up and down just like you would expect it to and it never reached the max pressure. I can confirm a more aggressive increase in pressure but it also has a setting you can change to soften that increase.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2016, 06:27 AM)ceromus Wrote: I don't know much about the whole respironics vs resmed business but I can tell you that I recently got an airsense 10 and it makes my m-series respironics look defective.

I had 2 m-series units one was the auto c-flex and the other was the auto a-flex and both of them would go to max pressure constantly (regardless of how high i set max pressure to). The resmed airsense 10 goes up and down just like you would expect it to and it never reached the max pressure. I can confirm a more aggressive increase in pressure but it also has a setting you can change to soften that increase.

I found the Philips dreamstation auto fine, I have set pressure of 6-10 and 90% of the time its under 8. With the airsense 10 I found the reverse I found it to aggressive, got wind gas etc.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2016, 07:28 AM)stephennic Wrote: I found the Philips dreamstation auto fine, I have set pressure of 6-10 and 90% of the time its under 8. With the airsense 10 I found the reverse I found it to aggressive, got wind gas etc.
Cheers
Steve

sweet! maybe I just had bad luck with m-series units or maybe the auto was bad back then.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I used the M-series auto from 2008 through 2014 without problems. Using Encore software from Respirionics, I could see pressure changes and events, and the machine was effective for me. Data was stored on a smartcard and required a special reader to access, but I did that throughout my use of the machine. While your machine may have been defective or became that way over time, without looking at the data, how would you know? The M-series gave detailed efficacy data on non-responsive apnea, flow limitation, obstructive apnea, hypopnea, vibratory snores and leaks. It was not capable of providing detailed wave-form of flow and events which was possible with the PRS1 50 and 60 series, and Sleepyhead was never designed to import the smartcard data.

The old machines by Respironics and by Resmed only acquired the ability to wrote to SD cards starting about 2011 or 2012, but therapeutically, they worked very similarly to current machines. Keep in mind that more modern data storage and transfer methods like SD Bluetooth and wireless was intended to make data more available to clinicians. An unintended consequence was that it became more available to patients as well. To this day, manufacturer's consumer software is severely disabled to only show summary information and compliance information. The professional Encore and Resscan software was not intended for patient use, nor were clinician manuals supposed to be distributed to end-users. Forums like Apneaboard have made the software and manuals available by request, and the development of Sleepyhead by Mark Watkins in 2011 was very empowering. Prior to that, data was difficult to get and required expensive card readers and somewhat sophisticated computer ability, as well as access to software that was not publicly available. I recall spending $99 for the consumer version of EncoreViewer in 2008. What a rip-off!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,053 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 229 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,406 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,294 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Respironics Recall Resolved Jeremy H 0 349 09-16-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.