Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

RE: Reuse of needles w insulin pens
I still have 4 boxes of generic lancets from Walgreens and Wal-Mart. They fit in both styles of Bayer Contour lancet devices (the pen and the short stubby one). The funny thing about it was they didn't work in the newer pens from either Walgreens or Relion. I'm terrible about replacing the lancets, but now I put in a new one every day.
06-19-2015 08:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Sex: Male

I use BD Ultra-Fine Nano needles for both my insulin and Victoza; they are 4mm x 32G. I'm pretty sure the hair on my head is thicker than these needles.
As for lancets, I re-use them until I start feeling pain - usually for about a month. But then again I'm not very good at taking my blood more than twice a day.

Since we are on this subject, I'd like to point out my experiences with a couple of the testing equipment. I started out using a Freestyle meter and lancet device; this meter requires a small droplet of blood. About a year ago, I switched to an Accu-chek device because I liked the idea that the meter stored the new test strips internally. Boy, what a mistake that was; this new device requires about twice as much blood as my old meter! I recently told my endo that I'd continue to use the newer device until I'd used up my supply of test strips but then I was going back to a Freestyle machine. Hearing that she gave two new Freestyle meters and a promise to prescribe the test strips when I needed them.
06-19-2015 10:26 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

Lancet size does not depend much on the meter you use - so long as you can squeeze enough blood to cover the strip head, that is all that counts, and of course, you all know to use not the first drop but the second drop after wiping away the first drop, I am sure, so the lancet must penetrate the skin surface enough that you can get two drops out of it (squeeze, of course) and still allow the skin to seal almost immediately after.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2015 04:31 AM by DocWils.)
06-20-2015 04:29 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(06-20-2015 04:29 AM)DocWils Wrote:  Lancet size does not depend much on the meter you use - so long as you can squeeze enough blood to cover the strip head, that is all that counts, and of course, you all know to use not the first drop but the second drop after wiping away the first drop, I am sure, so the lancet must penetrate the skin surface enough that you can get two drops out of it (squeeze, of course) and still allow the skin to seal almost immediately after.

that is good information to know. I sure didn't know that and if my teenager coming to visit doesn't know, I will sure share this information. Thanks.
06-20-2015 05:45 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

I've been using the BD 30g Ultra Fine lancets. I put a fresh one in every morning; and I clean the lancing shield with alcohol.
I started this thread about needles for pens as my doc gave me some pens.
Normally, I use syringe and vial. The syringes I use are 30g x 12.7mm and 1 ml capacity. I reuse them for a day... I'd use a new one every time if they would charge a decent price for them. My insurance does not pay for them.

Everything costs double what it cost only a few years ago -- but, "we have no inflation." Our money is just as worthless as a Mark in the Wiemar Republic. Can you change a $100,000 Bill?
[Image: 100k%20Mark%20Front.jpeg]

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-20-2015 06:27 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Used to have one of those when I was a child - no, I tell a lie, it was a million mark note, good for a litre of milk and some bread. I wonder whatever happened to it, or the rest of my coin collection, for that matter?

For syringes, the answer is clear, new one each time unless otherwise indicated, for pens, it is recommended to change the needle each time, but there are those who manage a few uses per needle. Note that the needle on the pen is designed for single use, so if you do manage two or three uses before it dulls or breaks off in your skin, you are lucky. About the price I can only sympathise - everything is more expensive, and medical supplies are massively more expensive now than twenty years ago. I went to buy some Fixomul Stretch and a gift of a fully loaded up doctor's bag (the latter for a graduating student that I am fond of) and nearly fainted at the price of both - my first bag, fully loaded, cost me around SFR 30, a replacement bag, fully loaded, I bought more or less halfway through my career was SFR 50, now the same bag with the same basic supplies costs almost SFR 500, the Fixomul Stretch tape that I like to use daily was SFR 2.80 a roll only three years ago, the last time I bulk bought for me, now it is SFR14.80 for the same size roll. So I do get where you are coming from. If it is any comfort, our hospital is drowning under the massive increase in costs for disposables and it is constantly pushing up the basic rate of insurance and forcing clinics to cut services.
06-20-2015 05:13 PM
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

(06-20-2015 04:29 AM)DocWils Wrote:  you all know to use not the first drop but the second drop after wiping away the first drop, I am sure, so the lancet must penetrate the skin surface enough that you can get two drops out of it (squeeze, of course) and still allow the skin to seal almost immediately after.

I gave never been told this by any doctor or diabetes educator.
06-20-2015 10:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Depends on who you ask. Some say it matters, some say not. Some say don't squeeze but stroke the finger, some say squeeze.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-20-2015 10:36 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

(06-19-2015 10:26 PM)PollCat Wrote:  I use BD Ultra-Fine Nano needles for both my insulin and Victoza; they are 4mm x 32G. I'm pretty sure the hair on my head is thicker than these needles.
As for lancets, I re-use them until I start feeling pain - usually for about a month. But then again I'm not very good at taking my blood more than twice a day.

Since we are on this subject, I'd like to point out my experiences with a couple of the testing equipment. I started out using a Freestyle meter and lancet device; this meter requires a small droplet of blood. About a year ago, I switched to an Accu-chek device because I liked the idea that the meter stored the new test strips internally. Boy, what a mistake that was; this new device requires about twice as much blood as my old meter! I recently told my endo that I'd continue to use the newer device until I'd used up my supply of test strips but then I was going back to a Freestyle machine. Hearing that she gave two new Freestyle meters and a promise to prescribe the test strips when I needed them.

what is a freestyle meter and how is it different than the one you use now other than you only need a minute drop of blood with the freestyle meter?
06-21-2015 12:59 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

(06-20-2015 10:32 PM)PollCat Wrote:  
(06-20-2015 04:29 AM)DocWils Wrote:  you all know to use not the first drop but the second drop after wiping away the first drop, I am sure, so the lancet must penetrate the skin surface enough that you can get two drops out of it (squeeze, of course) and still allow the skin to seal almost immediately after.

I gave never been told this by any doctor or diabetes educator.

This is how we were taught and is standard practice here. Can't say for the US.
06-21-2015 11:02 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Insulin, Inject cold or at room temp? justMongo 20 656 07-25-2016 03:18 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Definition of Insulin Dependent justMongo 4 658 12-11-2014 07:16 PM
Last Post: archangle