Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rhythmical Spikes in pressure?
Rhythmical Spikes in pressure?
Ah, what a wonderful night's sleep I had! Couldn't wait to grab a cup of coffee and analyze the results.

Well um, I guess things look pretty good... but what in the world are these rhythmical spikes in pressure all about? Thinking-about

[attachment=1572]
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rhythmical Spikes in pressure?
Your profile does not say what machine you use, but it's not necessary. The Respironics PRS1 Auto is programmed to evaluate pressure increases of 2 cmH2O at regular intervals. If it does not find an improvement, it drops the pressure back to minimum or until it detects flow limitation or snores. Your chart is absolutely typical for that machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, it's the Respironics. Thanks for reminding me to update my profile, I'll do that now. Smile
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2015, 08:10 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your profile does not say what machine you use, but it's not necessary. The Respironics PRS1 Auto is programmed to evaluate pressure increases of 2 cmH2O at regular intervals. If it does not find an improvement, it drops the pressure back to minimum or until it detects flow limitation or snores. Your chart is absolutely typical for that machine.

I did not know this about the PR. 2 cm seems like a big step, how is this not a disruptive characteristic? I'm pretty sure I would "feel" these pulses. Does it take a series of flow limits or some other happening to trigger these spikes or is it a given regardless of flow pattern? Since I haven't heard about this before I guess most people don't have a problem with it.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2015, 06:46 PM)MobileBasset Wrote: I did not know this about the PR. 2 cm seems like a big step, how is this not a disruptive characteristic? I'm pretty sure I would "feel" these pulses. Does it take a series of flow limits or some other happening to trigger these spikes or is it a given regardless of flow pattern?

Actually, theses are slow adjustments rather than pulses.

On the waveform posted, each major horizontal division was 20 minutes, and each minor division was 2 minutes.

The pressure appears to ramp up slowly, taking around 2 minutes for each 1 cmH2O while ramping up, and the pressure ramps down slowly, taking around 1 minute while ramping down.

Indications of Flow Limitation will cause the machine to increase the pressure (IPAP) right away.

Separately, the slow background variation periodically raises the pressure to see if the Flow waveform looks better (smoother and less flattened) if the pressure is higher (in which case the pressure will remain at the higher level), or if the Flow looks just as good when the pressure is lower (in which case the pressure will remain at the lower level).
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the information. I notice the slope on decrease is often twice as steep as the increase and I don't see the correlation between the spikes and the event flags. Maybe the flow data would show that. Anyway it all seems rather intense. I need pressure support but am very sensitive to the level so I know I would definitely try a PR out before I would decide to buy.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2015, 07:55 AM)Ailu Wrote: Ah, what a wonderful night's sleep I had! Couldn't wait to grab a cup of coffee and analyze the results.

Well um, I guess things look pretty good... but what in the world are these rhythmical spikes in pressure all about? Thinking-about
Is this nightly occurrence or just one-off?
Comparison with EncoreBasic would be interesting

I'll get a coffee too Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I've only had the machine 2 nights. And the first night, I was a mess. But the 2nd night was bliss, and the rythmical spikes are from that night. I'll watch the next couple of nights and report back on them...

(07-03-2015, 09:15 PM)zonk Wrote:
(07-03-2015, 07:55 AM)Ailu Wrote: Ah, what a wonderful night's sleep I had! Couldn't wait to grab a cup of coffee and analyze the results.

Is this nightly occurrence or just one-off?
Comparison with EncoreBasic would be interesting

I'll get a coffee too Coffee

-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
just keep in mind - these routine blips are a sign of things being good. the pressure change is gradual and not even 2 cm. looking carefully, it is 1.5 cm.

see post http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid101641

It is important to note - the study uses a signal generator to mimic normal and then flow limited breathing. It clearly shows that the algorithm bumps up pressure periodically even when no flow limitations occur.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Huh. I found the pressure going up and down so quickly was not helping me (I have a Respironics loaner). It got so bad that I finally changed from auto-pressure to straight pressure at 11. I'm still not sleeping great, but I'm not as compelled to nap as I am without a cpap. I really didn't expect that. Even though the algorithms are different, the results should have been somewhat similar based on DocWils experiment. Of course, not all my problem is cpap related - I still have the restless legs although the new treatment (magnesium & zinc) has helped.

Still awaiting my replacement Resmed Airsense for Her.

I'm glad you are feeling the help from the cpap, Ailu. It took me a week before I started to see improvement (no need to nap), the first time out with my former used machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 680 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 291 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Fairly consistent pulse rate spikes every night shyrwall 4 327 01-12-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: shyrwall
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,108 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,643 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Many Awakenings with Heart Rate Spikes jr991 3 497 11-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: jr991

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.