Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rice95 Therapy
Rice95 Therapy
Hi all

I have since really improved my AHI with my pillow change thanks to great advice last weekend. For the last 3 days they have been 3 , 4 and then 6 last night. Not sure why the numbers are getting higher. Maybe I'm  slipping onto my back? 

I posted the one from last night. 

(How do you zoom in a little more so I can get the rest of my chart to show?)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: numbers going up slightly [Rice95 Therapy Thread]
In another thread, it was suggested you look into wearing a soft cervical collar.  You have positional apnea (see the clusters on the graph).  It's unlikely a pressure adjustment will help.  

You should try the collar and if you don't want to wear that, then find a way to keep your chin from tucking into your chest.

Positional apnea can occur whether you are on your side or back.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

One more thing... try to keep your therapy questions to one thread (preferably this thread).  Starting new threads every time you have a new question or a new chart makes it harder for folk to advise. I have revised your thread title slightly.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Opal nailed it.
Chin tucking!!!
You need a collar if this happens regularly.
I'll guess your other charts, that I'm not going to chase down also show this so get a collar and read the links
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you to you both!! I actually purchased a collar per advice from my original post. I haven’t worn it yet because I tried a flatter pillow first to see if it would help. It really helped but numbers started to rise the last 3 consecutive days. It’s my OA numbers that are messing everything up. I’m glad I don’t need to increase pressure.

So you are saying it wouldn’t help me to increase pressure in this situation correct? I could try going to 11 but the last time I tried I had some bloating. My bed is raised about 3-4 inches at the head of the bed. Do you think that could cause my head to tuck?
Post Reply Post Reply
It's possible that the elevated bed could cause your head to tilt forward.

Please note, we aren't saying you don't need more pressure... we are saying that raising pressure doesn't normally correct positional apnea. What you are doing is cutting off your airway when you tuck your chin into your chest.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We very likely will offer additional suggestions once you have eliminated the clusters of obstructive events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all Unsure

I used my new collar last night. I made sure my chin was not able to fall inside the collar but it wasnt too tight, but tight enough to sleep. It was not all that comfortable but I toughed it out through the night. I tried it out with a new cpap pillow that came in last night too that was about 2 inches thicker than the plain old flatter non-cpap memory foam pillow I've been using. Maybe I should have just used the same pillow I was using before...all aside my numbers aren't impressive with the collar. My OA numbers ARE better than last night WITH the collar but my AHI is still at 5. 

I've attached last night's chart.

Post Reply Post Reply
Can you try your original pillow with the collar?
Right now ignore your numbers, just look at the clusters of obstructive events you are having. Your immediate goal is just to eliminate those clusters.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
(04-23-2021, 05:31 AM)Gideon Wrote: Can you try your original pillow with the collar?
Right now ignore your numbers, just look at the clusters of obstructive events you are having. Your immediate goal is just to eliminate those clusters.

Yes, I’ll try the original pillow tonight and see how it goes and report back in the morning. Thank you so much
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all  Thanks

Report much better this morning without the cpap pillow I bought, which apparently was too thick and too high. I used my traditional much flatter memory foam last night with my collar of which the latter I am getting used to after only 2 days using it. 

There are still obstructions present on the graph but not near as many. I am sleeping with the head of my bed slightly elevated(maybe 3 inches)to help with swallowing air which I am accustomed to do as well as my vertigo that always happens when I am laying completely flat.  

I welcome any comments on this morning's chart.

Thank you

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,068 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 165 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,357 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 966 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 26 815 03-22-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: jakespeare65

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.