Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rice95 Therapy
RE: Rice95 Therapy
Good Morning!  Coffee

I've been having leaks the past few days. Tightening the gear causes sharp pain under my nose. The mask has gotten flimsy and tightening just causes  pain and leaks anyway. This is the first time I've ever had any mask issues since I've started therapy. It all started when I got new straps, and then attaching them to an older mask. I go through masks once a month, but I can get them on Amazon for 12 bucks so its worth it. I think I must have oily skin and the latex degrades over the course of a month and it just doesn't stay completely sealed as the end of the month approaches. It's time for new headgear too it looks like. It's been 6 months and it isn't as rigid as it used to be I've noticed. 

Therapy going great. No more positional issues!

Blessings everyone Coffee

Chart attached

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

CA and OA decided to call HYOP and the 3 of them crashed RERA's place, and then the 4 of them decided to call Large Leak to meet in an Unclassified location while Rice95 had the best night of his life.

Bed         best sleep I've ever had...
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to replace my nasal pillows monthly, as they start to lose their ability to seal well.

The spikes on the leak rate chart are from mask movement. Your leak rate overall is low, but even small annoying mask leaks will disturb your sleep.

Just watch for sales from some of the online vendors and stock up on mask parts when you can. I find Amazon a good source.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Opal as always! Coffee
CA and OA decided to call HYOP and the 3 of them crashed RERA's place, and then the 4 of them decided to call Large Leak to meet in an Unclassified location while Rice95 had the best night of his life.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good Morning Coffee

Would someone kindly check my Leak Rate? I need to know what is acceptable so I can self diagnose for next time. 

Thank you !

Post Reply Post Reply
This morning was better. It must have been a fluke. 

Have a great Tuesday everyone!  Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
It's no fluke. It's because of the skill you've found in improving your treatment and sleep quality. Hat is off to you!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2021, 06:03 AM)Rice95 Wrote: Good Morning Coffee

Would someone kindly check my Leak Rate? I need to know what is acceptable so I can self diagnose for next time. 

Thank you !

Looks good to me.

My story (it doesn't matter, but maybe it will show you what I think)

I watch my leak trends. As they increase I realize I don't wash my mask often enough. So I wash it and things improve. If they don't I finally replace the insert in the mask or buy a new mask.  I find masks don't last as long as I think they should...

Prevention? I resolve--wash my mask for frequently.  It'll be healthier for me.

Sometimes the offender is the headgear has stretched. BG has suggested washing it  in hot water.

Sometimes the offender is the darn Knightsbridge Dual Band.  (My first try--it was perfect. Now I can't repeat that. Now it's falling down over my eyes by the time I wake up. Don't know why? Maybe I do it up too tight.) Question to Larry--what do you think?

When that happens I go back to my home-made pad under my chin. It's working well for me right now.  AND I can see when I wake up.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I myself accept a Max leak rate of about 10-12 on ResMed. It need not be zero but the lower it is the better. 24 is ResMed's leak redline.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Dave stated, 24 is ResMed's leak redline. What that means is if you see a leak rate reaching that mark or going above 24, the machine may not be able to detect apnea with any accuracy.

A lower leak can also be distributive to your sleep and is usually related to mask movement as I see on your leak graph. (See the spikes) But a lower leak rate under 24 isn't going to hamper the machines ability to detect apnea.

I seldom look at the max leak number as it could just be a one time mask movement.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to both Daves and Opal! Its been a while since I've corresponded with you all. 

BTW, Good Sunday Morning to you and everyone here!  Coffee

This thread length is not ideal for consistent interaction   Oh-jeez

I thought I would post my chart this morning. Max leak at 14 which is higher than normal. I find myself pulling it off my face briefly to reset it and that's where I'm getting the spikes. Overall it is not too bad, but I did notice my apneas lining up with mask fluctuation. When the F30i gets cheaper I'll give that one a try. It's very similar to the DreamWear mask I'm wearing now, but may fit my face better. I can get the DreamWear FFM for 12 bucks brand new in factory packaging on Amazon...can't beat that. I replaced my headgear too which may have monkey'd up my seal, but it was WAY past due for replacement. 

I hope everyone is doing great! I'm enjoying partial retirement and good health.

Blessings  Coffee

PS Opal you solved my positional apnea!!!!  THANK YOU

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 58 901 1 hour ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 68 1,281 11 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 587 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 487 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 556 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 815 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  OviBerger - AC11 Therapy OviBerger 3 107 04-09-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.