Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ripping headgear off in middle of the night
Ripping headgear off in middle of the night
Hello - I just finished my first week using the CPAP machine. My wife has indicated the snoring has completely stopped except for the times which the mask is not on. For some reason I am taking the mask off in the middle of the night. And most of the time I do not remember taking it off and turning the machine off. I'm currently using the swift FX bella mask system but I also have the ResMed Swift FX Nano Mask Cushion, ResMed Swift FX Nano CPAP headgear coming next week. The two different configurations will allow me to rotate them in and out allowing some time for my skin to recover.

Does anybody have a remedy's to prevent taking the mask off?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ripping headgear off in middle of the night
This is a common thing so you aren't alone.

Wear the mask with the machine on during the day. Like when watching television or something. This gets you and your body used to the mask, the air, the everything.

Put something over or on top of the machine that you have to move to get to it. Something that makes noise or creates light. This may wake you up enough to make you realize what you are doing so you don't turn the machine off.

Make a loop of cloth and attach the hose to your pillow or your shirt. That way when you take off the machine, you can't remove it very far without hearing the air.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've a chinstrap, worn over the mask... helps keeps the mask in place and minimize mouth leaks .. mouth leaks can dry the mouth

Mask has to feel comfortable, right size, type, and fitted correctly
Are you using humidifier
Humidity is important for some, too warm or too cold can be irritating for me

It would helps tremendously, if you put the machine model, CPAP pressure, software in your profile
If the machine is "auto" and set at default 4-20 or on fixed mode with Ramp for a long period ... leaks and feeling of overwhelming as pressure increase to therapeutic level in case of auto or set pressure in case of fixed mode
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2015, 02:36 PM)macheta Wrote: Hello - I just finished my first week using the CPAP machine. My wife has indicated the snoring has completely stopped except for the times which the mask is not on. For some reason I am taking the mask off in the middle of the night. And most of the time I do not remember taking it off and turning the machine off. I'm currently using the swift FX bella mask system but I also have the ResMed Swift FX Nano Mask Cushion, ResMed Swift FX Nano CPAP headgear coming next week. The two different configurations will allow me to rotate them in and out allowing some time for my skin to recover.

Does anybody have a remedy's to prevent taking the mask off?

I did the same thing for the first week that I was using my CPAP. For the first few days I'd wake up in the middle of the night and be like "what is this thing on my face? Why is it blowing air at me? Where does that hose go?" and I'd take it off and turn the machine off, then go back to sleep and have no memory of that happening. But all of this movement would wake my wife and she'd poke me and tell me to put it back on. Being woken a second time in a short period would make me realize what was going on and I'd be a little more coherent.

I've been using mine for a little over 2 weeks and I don't think I've taken the mask off at all during the 2nd week.

I don't have a solution for you but maybe you'll get more used to it as you use it more and will be less likely to take it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Macheta - I've been on therapy now for 4 months. I still occasionally rip the darn thing off and storm into the living room to brood.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to do that... not any more.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2015, 04:48 PM)zonk Wrote: It would helps tremendously, if you put the machine model, CPAP pressure, software in your profile

I updated my profile... thanks for the feedback.

(07-18-2015, 05:57 PM)player Wrote: I used to do that... not any more.

How long did it take to adjust?
Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]

How long did it take to adjust?
[/quote]

Well, let's see -- it's been around four years for me and I still pull it off occasionally. Best bet is to try and not think about it. You're new, so in time, excellent chance this will be a thing of the past. When you realize you've taken it off, put it back on and go back to sleep. Somehow that tells your brain that it has to stay on your face. That's called getting used to it.

Also, the most important thing is that your mask be comfortable!! The lightest mask I've found (if you don't absolutely need a FFM) is the Airfit P10. As you've read here, this is very common.. so keep the faith! :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressure is set wide open. That might be part of the problem. Most people feel like they are suffocating when the pressure is too low. What were you titrated at when you had your sleep study? You did have one, right? Are you looking at your data on a regular basis? Do you have a ramp on and if you do, for how long? That could also be causing part of the problem.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Headgear for very large heads NogginOff 1 48 9 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 8 1,661 01-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Question [Equipment] Is the headgear on AirFit N20 the same as AirFit F20? James87 4 441 01-12-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: labrat
  P10 Headgear paulag1955 2 358 12-14-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  F&P Solo Headgear Columbiabill 1 478 12-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Equipment] Resmed N30i/P30i headgear sleeve issues Himrent 1 424 11-23-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 851 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.