Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rough First Night
Rough First Night
So, I have a few kinks to work out--clearly  Unsure

I have a brand new AirSense 10 Autoset for her. I am using the Respironics DreamWear mask.

First, I suppose this isn't uncommon, but I am swallowing a lot of air. So I had to burp a lot during the night and when I woke up. That is uncomfortable.

Second, the setup puts off this awful hot, plastic smell! I don't know if that's the plate heating up in the water reservoir or the heated tube itself, but it was pretty bad last night!

I know that part of last night's struggle was being unaccustomed to wearing the mask while sleeping. I feel confident that I will get used to that with time! The mask itself is not at all uncomfortable.

I'll search around the board for tips and tricks that relate to the air and the smell, but any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rough First Night
Another new user of the same machine is also having an issue with the smell. Look at HalfAsleep's thread, Wheezing? [due to CPAP use]. Although no one has replied or commented about the issue yet, but at least you know you're not alone.

I also had a lot of air swallowing at first. Someone will be along soon to help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2017, 04:28 AM)Anaja09 Wrote: So, I have a few kinks to work out--clearly  Unsure

I have a brand new AirSense 10 Autoset for her. I am using the Respironics DreamWear mask.

First, I suppose this isn't uncommon, but I am swallowing a lot of air. So I had to burp a lot during the night and when I woke up. That is uncomfortable.

Second, the setup puts off this awful hot, plastic smell! I don't know if that's the plate heating up in the water reservoir or the heated tube itself, but it was pretty bad last night!

I know that part of last night's struggle was being unaccustomed to wearing the mask while sleeping. I feel confident that I will get used to that with time! The mask itself is not at all uncomfortable.

I'll search around the board for tips and tricks that relate to the air and the smell, but any advice will be greatly appreciated!

That burning smell is exactly what I mentioned in a previous post! I have the same unit and it's only 2 days old. It smells like a pan handle when the hot plate on the stove is too big.

I checked the humidifier and made sure the heating plates don't have water on them. NO. I checked to make sure the power supply isn't overheating.NO. I unplugged everything else. NO.

My machine stopped working in the night, too. I have to run to work now. I'll address that problem later.

Let's collaborate on this issue so we can both resolve it!

I decided to focus on the compliance goals first, no matter what. Then I can relax. I put in some hours yesterday during the day.

Kiwii has input on the gas thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am going to the DME store this morning to buy a non-heated tube if they have one. If not, I will thoroughly wash the one I have and also turn the tube temp way down tonight and see if that will help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Anaja09,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a whole, multi-page discussion about that burning smell....

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ight=smell
Post Reply Post Reply
Anaja09, the people that can help with your aerophagia will need to see the data from your machine. Install SleepyHead and get an imgur account for the images. Instructions are in various people's signature lines - look for Sleeprider - or go to the Software section of these forums.
Post Reply Post Reply
Read on how to go to the clinical settings of you machine and try turing off the humidifier. I live where it is deust so I covermy machine during the day and change filters alot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2017, 08:29 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Anaja09,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, good luck with CPAP therapy.

Thank you, trish!

(09-30-2017, 08:48 AM)kiwii Wrote: Anaja09, the people that can help with your aerophagia will need to see the data from your machine. Install SleepyHead and get an imgur account for the images. Instructions are in various people's signature lines - look for Sleeprider - or go to the Software section of these forums.

I have downloaded and installed Sleepyhead this morning. I am on my way to get an SD card now Smile

(09-30-2017, 09:07 AM)Gary1of2 Wrote: Read on how to go to the clinical settings of you machine and try turing off the humidifier.  I live where it is deust so I covermy machine during the day and change filters alot.

Thank you! Yes, I saw that there were instructions available. I really want to turn that exhale setting up or down or whatever way will make it not feel as though I am trying to exhale into a hurricane.

Thank you all so much!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Anaja, we can probably help you find more comfortable settings even without posting a chart. Be sure you have your Setup Manual and know how to enter the clinical settings (Control knob + Home button, select settings).

In Settings, scroll down to Essentials, select, highlight PLUS, sel.ect, exit. Your sleep report will not provide a lot more detail on pressure and events.

In Settings, check COMFORT settings. EPR should be set to ON and FULL TIME. The EPR setting can be set to 1-3. The exhale pressure relief increases from 1 cm to 3 cm based on the setting your select. Before setting up EPR, look on your sleep report for median pressure. If it is above 7.0 you can choose EPR at 3. If it is less than 7, use a smaller EPR setting.

Finally once you have chosen the EPR setting, set your minimum CPAP pressure so that EPR works correctly. If you chose 3, then your minimum pressure should be 7.0, for 2 use 6.0, and for EPR at 1, choose a minimum pressure of 5. The reasons for this is to ensure your machine remains responsive and does not get "stuck" at 4.0. For example, with your current settings of 4.0-20.0, if you set EPR at 3.0, your exhale pressure remains at 4 until the inhale pressure goes above 7.0. This can cause you problems if you need higher pressure to avoid obstructive apnea.

If you have questions about this, feel free to ask. Once you can see the Essentials Plus sleep report, we can comment on your therapy if you post (transcribe) the results here.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Arrow [Symptoms] Having a very rough night Soundman73 14 518 02-06-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Soundman73
  Central Sleep Apnea, CPAP, and rough early mornings middleraven 4 387 02-02-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: middleraven
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Rough couple nights Mike3ga8 1 480 08-29-2022, 09:09 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New user - overall good results but last night rough djpax13 3 582 08-01-2022, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Rough start Kephus 8 1,156 01-05-2021, 12:33 PM
Last Post: stanleydean

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.