Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rough Night on Titration - When Does the Suffocation feeling go away?
Rough Night on Titration - When Does the Suffocation feeling go away?
I'm still doing home titration and I had a bad night. When does the suffocation feeling go away Sad

The high pressure wakes me up in the middle of the night and it really scares me - I find it hard to breathe against the pressure.

I don't know my numbers because I am on titration still. I really hope things get easier after titration.

Feeling a little down...and I need to find a less claustrophobic mask. Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rough Night on Titration - When Does the Suffocation feeling go away?
linn,
That suffocation feeling can be from an ill fitting mask, a pressure that is too low, or just the fact that you are not used to cpap therapy.

Just because your on Titration doesn't mean you shouldn't know your pressure.
What type of machine did they give you to titrate on?

You need to ask your doctor or whoever you are dealing with in Canada, as I know things are run much differently than in the US. Find out your pressure, and ask if there is an EPR setting you can use. This is a comfort feature that will help you breath against the pressure.

Next, fill out you profile, even if the machine and mask are temporary. You can always change it later.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2015, 06:20 PM)OpalRose Wrote: linn,
That suffocation feeling can be from an ill fitting mask, a pressure that is too low, or just the fact that you are not used to cpap therapy.

Just because your on Titration doesn't mean you shouldn't know your pressure.
What type of machine did they give you to titrate on?

You need to ask your doctor or whoever you are dealing with in Canada, as I know things are run much differently than in the US. Find out your pressure, and ask if there is an EPR setting you can use. This is a comfort feature that will help you breath against the pressure.

Next, fill out you profile, even if the machine and mask are temporary. You can always change it later.

Hi Opal, Thanks for the feedback :grin: I filled out my data.

The Dr. said that if I do 2 more nights of titration that he will set me with a pressure number. My range is 5-20 for the titration and I can't see the numbers in the middle of the night. I have no idea how high the numbers go when I am in REM. They are recording everything so I can't touch the data card.

I looked for an EPR setting and I couldn't find one.

My doctor says that I need to wear it during the day to get acclimatized. I don't mind doing the work - I just want to know if it gets easier. I am wearing the mask now and it is at 5.7 - quite comfortable pressure but a bit hot and stuffy.

Post Reply Post Reply
you get used to it amazingly fast. the suffocation feeling at higher pressure could be alleviated by a higher EPR - but honestly it takes little time before you are completely used to the pressure. That said - I max my EPR as a preference.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2015, 06:46 PM)DariaVader Wrote: you get used to it amazingly fast. the suffocation feeling at higher pressure could be alleviated by a higher EPR - but honestly it takes little time before you are completely used to the pressure. That said - I max my EPR as a preference.

Thanks Daria Smile When you say fast - is that a week, month or more? When they give me my permanent CPAP I am going to ask them to set the EPR for me. I am also going to ask for the DreamWear mask

I can't believe how deep I sleep on the CPAP - it's almost like I'm drugged.
Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone is different, but the first week was probably the hardest for me. Even still tho, some nights I cant feel it there and others I struggle some.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
I just started using the same machine 2 weeks ago and also struggled with feelings of suffocation. I got some great advice here to try turning up the minimum pressure. I was prescribed 4 to 14. I slowly increased the minimum pressure to 8 and the feeling of not getting enough air is gone. I actually have to lift my mask now to be sure its on.

I also struggled with exhaling against the pressure, especially since I have asthma. The pressure relief feature helps a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2015, 04:43 PM)linn Wrote: I'm still doing home titration and I had a bad night. When does the suffocation feeling go away Sad

It goes away as soon as your doctor decides to not be a slacker, and puts you ahead of his convenience.

If he had set a reasonable range to start, like 7-12, you could have tried that for a while, gotten used to it, then he could have checked it again and decided if the range needed to be changed.

Sending you home the machine set to "wide open" *might* be more convenient for him, but is almost guaranteed to be a bad time for you when starting out.

There are (at least) two places where people feel like they can't breathe:
  • When the pressure is too low and the mask doesn't ventilate enough (not enough air through the exhaust port)
  • When the pressure is too high and you feel "inflated" and can't exhale enough

These are both caused by letting the pressure get too low or too high.

The machine should make you happier and your breathing easier. It's not supposed to be a torture device.

Terry
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone...I slept quite well last night and I am dealing with the suffocation feelings. I will ask the Dr. to make the machine more comfortable for me.

I haven't slept this deep since I was a child and I can't believe that this went undiagnosed for 20+ years. It's going to take my body a long to heal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Feeling of suffocation or having to use too much effort to breath are quickly fixed by increasing minimum pressure. It will be interesting to hear what your doctor comes up with. Keep in touch.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 13 412 7 hours ago
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 137 04-17-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,144 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 157 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 113 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 151 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 187 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.