Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rough start with AirSense 10 for Her
Rough start with AirSense 10 for Her
Hello,

I have had a Resmed S9 for 7 years, and as the motor is at end of life, I decided to get a new machine and bought the Resmed AireSense 10 for Her.  I set it up with all of the same settings as the S9, but have had 2 horrible nights with it.  Pressure is 4-14 and EPR is on for Ramp Only and set at 1.

It starts out great, super quiet, but I have had trouble getting to sleep due to my husband snoring.  I think I'm then hitting the end of the ramp up period, and it starts making this whining noise, I think when I'm breathing out, so then I continue to have trouble getting to sleep.

I'm using my Quattro full face mask that I've had from the start, and in the night when I have managed to go to sleep, it wakes me up because the pressure has gone way up and is blowing the mask away from my face and filling my cheeks.  Even when I'm then awake, it keeps doing this, so it shouldn't be from an apnea.  It says the pressure was 11.2 and leakage 7L/min.

I had no troubles at all with the S9, so am really disappointed that I'm not able to make a smooth transition to the S10 so far.  I don't quite understand the EPR setting, and am wondering if that could be part of the problem?  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dooley
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rough start with AirSense 10 for Her
What were the settings on the S9? A pressure beginning at 4 and including Ramp is pretty low,, especially when it is getting to 11 pretty quickly. What mode are you using? EPR is exhale pressure relief and provides from 0 to 3 cm of pressure relief during exhale. What is your setting?

The best thing you can do is to install OSCAR and import both your S9 data and the new Airsense 10 For Her data. We can help you to interpret what is going on. As far as noise, your new machine is very quiet, but if you need even less sound, consider a hose cover or putting the machine in a bedside drawer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
About machine noise, my ResMed machines have been really very quiet, but there’s a little whine they make that I’m sensitive to. I did a couple of things: put a folded hand towel under the machine, with a thin piece of cork on top; added some heavy books inside the bedside cabinet to prevent any vibration; angled the machine so the motor noise wouldn’t bounce off a wall toward my head; and used a noise machine.

Can’t resist asking—do you think your husband has apnea??
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider,

Thanks for your response.  I took my settings on the S9 and duplicated them on the S10, so 4-14 is what I have been using and it has worked very well for me (AHI always below 2).  However, I just checked, and I was sloppy - a few things weren't set the same, like the EPR, ramp time, etc.  I have duplicated everything, so will try again tonight and see how I go.

Thanks for the tips Dormeo, I will give them a go.

Good question about Hubby.  I have wondered, because he snores A LOT, but it seems very nasal and I have never noticed him appear to stop breathing.  He had his sinuses checked out a while back, and they are somewhat obstructed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope he’ll find a fix for the sinuses and help you in your quest for good sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply
Me too!  It definitely contributes to my sleep issues.  If I don't go to bed and get to sleep before him, I am screwed, unless I wear earplugs, which have their own issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since your using a mask, he should jump on the wagon and get his own machine, snoring is just as bad.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know, it's exhausting
Post Reply Post Reply
I wanted to report back on my situation. After I changed the settings so they were all identical to the ones on my S9, I've been doing much better. The only thing that is weird, is how fast the S10 uses up the water in the humidifier. I could go around 4 days with my S9, but only 2 with the S10. I'm also waking up with a dry mouth but also a bit of condensation in my mask. The climate control is set to auto. Very strange.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
Arrow [Symptoms] Having a very rough night Soundman73 14 516 02-06-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Soundman73
  Central Sleep Apnea, CPAP, and rough early mornings middleraven 4 386 02-02-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: middleraven
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,276 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,183 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Need to start CPAP and feeling overwhelmed shipofools999 11 1,183 10-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Fabby
  DreamStation Auto Initial Start-up WilliamZ 3 503 09-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.