Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Run away pressure
Run away pressure
My Resmed S9's pressure goes really high every night about three hours in for no known reason. I turn it off and start up again and it is fine for a while, then runs away again. Ahrg! I understand that this machine has been known to have this run away pressure issue. How do I fix this?
I have the Ramp up setting off, but I do use the automatic turn off and on thing set.
Thanks, Jemstone
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Run away pressure
First, exactly which S9 do you have? Look near the power button. Autoset?
Please put that in your profile.

Your profile indicates 4 to 13 pressure. Does it exceed 13? If not, then it must be scoring snore, flow limitation and/or obstructive apnea to increase pressure.

I suggest you get either SleepyHead or ResScan software from this board and start reading your SD data card with your computer.
Likely there are good reasons for pressure increase.

Side note: Many folks find a starting pressure of 4 to be too low -- they feel they are not getting enough air.
They usually set the lower limit to 6 cm-H2O
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
if there is any way to post a one night graph that shows the events, the flow rate, the pressure, leaks, and flow limitation, it would give us something to chew on. hopefully you can get one that show the runaway happening.

I read in another thread that you have the maximum at 13. So, when you say "really high" do you mean right up to 13?

I use F10 as well, so familiar with the issues you may be having with mask leakage, press points on your checks and movement during the night.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jemstone,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Much success to you as you continue and fine tune your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, we really do need to see exactly what your experience is at this point. Does your machine perk along at let's say 8 or 10 for instance and control your events? Then perhaps adjustment to the low end and even the high end of your pressures would be wise. But we can't know that until we see more information.

As to the auto on/off stuff? That has been known to create issues especially where your pressures are very low. I don't know that it would cause a "runaway" however. I would turn the auto on/off to the "forgetaboutit" setting, and just push the cute little button when I mask up, and again when I mask down. See if that seems to make any difference for you.

Post Reply Post Reply
When you say you had run away pressure and it goes up "really high", how high does it actually go and how are you determining that it is high. Does it go over 13 cm/H2O and do you see what the pressure has gotten to in Sleepyhead? I am assuming that 13 listed in your profile is the max pressure set in the machine and that the machine is an autoset or maybe an S9 VPAP Auto.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey y'all! Thank you sooo much for your willingness to help me. I got an appointment to have a home sleep study done. Looking at the graphs, I don't think it ever shows pressure above 13.
Now, Im going to try to copy the info from SleepyHead....what exactly do
I need to post OR what Page and graph should I post. It's all sorta Greek to me! Jemstone
Post Reply Post Reply
Most will want to see the detail page. The graphs on the detail page would be the events, flow rate, pressure, leak rate, flow limitation, and snore in that order of importance. I just noticed that you are using the S9 VPAP Auto. Nice machine. I use the same one. Facts that it would be good to post are the mode in use. It looks like you are using it in auto mode. If so, the min EPAP, max IPAP, Pressure Support, ramp on or off, if on the ramp start pressure, smart start on or off. The graphs will tell everyone some of this.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
While in the Daily View with flow rate displayed, press F12. You will find the saved screen image in the SleepyheadData-Testing>Screenshots directory. It will be a .png file with the date as the filename.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
How to do images:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-an-Image

How to do attachments:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ttachments
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,647 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 925 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 648 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,558 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,357 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,360 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,648 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.