Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S-9 bypassing the filter
S-9 bypassing the filter
One thing I meant to ask about - on the S-9, whenever I went to replace the filter, there was always dust/dirt smudges on the intake where crap has bypassed the edges of the filter. The filters were an aftermarket hypo-allergenic filter. Probably saved the DME 10 cents each over Resmed brand OEM filters. Couldn't see any difference, but it did bother me that I saw the smudges.

Is it a problem with the filters or the design of the intake?

I am wondering if it may have anything to do with the premature wear on the motor I experienced (motor bearing whine at 1,800 hours).

Anyone else observed this? With generic/DME substitute brand filters? genuine ResMed OEM filters?

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: S-9 bypassing the filter
How often do you change the filters? Is the fit visually tight? 1800 hours is a very young machine considering just over 2900 hours for one year of therapy as average. I think any motor wear at that age is related to manufacture rather than the filters. It's very hard to know how much bypass you get on the filters. It wouldn't cost you much to get some OEM filters off Amazon or specify to your DME you want original filters, not equivalent replacements.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
S-9 filters don't fit "tight" - there is nothing to seal against. They just sort of hang out. Stuck between the intake and the cover that snaps on. I have always thought that was a very serious oversight on the part of the manufacturer's engineers.

I have begun insisting on manufacturer OEM filters, much to the dismay of my local DME (which won't get them) as well as a few online suppliers. Seems they want to argue that the replacement filters "are just as good - even better" than the OEM filters. May be. Ask them if they'll replace your machine if the motor gets crap in it. Nobody wants to take me up on that.

Supplier #26 seems to stock only manufacturer filters, at least from what I've seen, so they're now the ones getting most of my supplies business.

OMM

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2015, 09:22 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: One thing I meant to ask about - on the S-9, whenever I went to replace the filter, there was always dust/dirt smudges on the intake where crap has bypassed the edges of the filter. The filters were an aftermarket hypo-allergenic filter. Probably saved the DME 10 cents each over Resmed brand OEM filters. Couldn't see any difference, but it did bother me that I saw the smudges.

Is it a problem with the filters or the design of the intake?

I am wondering if it may have anything to do with the premature wear on the motor I experienced (motor bearing whine at 1,800 hours).

Anyone else observed this? With generic/DME substitute brand filters? genuine ResMed OEM filters?

OMM

FWIW my DME also 'substitutes' generic filters for the manufacturers brand. The generic brand they substitute just "feels" different to the touch, can't say whether it affects the motor or not. My DME chewed me out the last time I brought my machine in for some minor repair. They said I had no business accessing the Clinicians menu because I wasn't a professional. Dont-know

Post Reply Post Reply
I find the generic filters do not quite fit right. The generics do feel "different." And, the generics frustrate me by falling out while I'm trying snap in the cover. So, I will not accept anything but ResMed's filters. With brand name filters I push the filter into the cover at the left/right edges; and it stays in place while I snap the cover in place.

Yes, I think there is a design weakness in the S9 filter cover. There does appear to be a path around the edge for "dirty" air to get past.
I doubt the bit of bypass "dirt" hurts the motor. I believe the bearings are sealed.

I can hear my blower motor speed up and slow with each breath; and I'm near deaf in one ear.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2015, 12:17 PM)justMongo Wrote: I find the generic filters do not quite fit right. The generics do feel "different." And, the generics frustrate me by falling out while I'm trying snap in the cover. So, I will not accept anything but ResMed's filters. With brand name filters I push the filter into the cover at the left/right edges; and it stays in place while I snap the cover in place.

Yes, I think there is a design weakness in the S9 filter cover. There does appear to be a path around the edge for "dirty" air to get past.
I doubt the bit of bypass "dirt" hurts the motor. I believe the bearings are sealed.

I can hear my blower motor speed up and slow with each breath; and I'm near deaf in one ear.

I'm sure glad to learn that I'm not the only one who thinks the generic filters "feel" different. And yep, there is a slight amount of dust around the intake filter. Guess I will be ordering some mfg filters online. Hate having to deal with the DME anyway.

I also can hear the blower motor speed up and slow down with each breath, and I am deaf in one ear and have a significant hearing loss in the remaining ear. Do NOT understand how I can hear it like that, but I do. It is really annoying when I am trying to get to sleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2015, 02:34 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(03-30-2015, 12:17 PM)justMongo Wrote: I can hear my blower motor speed up and slow with each breath; and I'm near deaf in one ear.

I also can hear the blower motor speed up and slow down with each breath, and I am deaf in one ear and have a significant hearing loss in the remaining ear. Do NOT understand how I can hear it like that, but I do. It is really annoying when I am trying to get to sleep.

The S-9 is hands down the quietest of any CPAP I have ever experienced. At least when it was working. Often I would have to pull my mask slightly off to ensure air was flowing.

When it would get silent in the house, I would hear a very faint whine every time I breathed out. That was quite commonly reproted WRT the S-9. But noise wise it was nowhere near what the old S-8 Elite ver. 1.0 was (which was not really bad at all - I kind of enjoyed it as white noise). The Respironics System One Auto 560 is only very slightly louder than the S-9, but if I listen close (and I have to try) I can almost hear a very faint blower pitch change with it. The S-9 that I referred to in the first post in this thread started slient and ended up with the back and forth zzz-ZZZ-zzz-ZZZ-zzz-ZZZ pulsating noise.

And with regard to hearing it with hearing loss, it may be that you are not hearing coming through your ears, but from inside your ears, since it may be coming down the tube through your sinuses and into your inner ears. Just guessing.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
I've only ordered oem filters off the web, but honestly have never checked for dust around the edges. I guess I have homework tonight now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 845 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 120 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 1,881 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Wink Replacing filter fiber in N30i and P30i QuietAir vents - possible! PurpleOx 2 3,186 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Konomoose
  [Equipment] cleaning the filter on a nasal mask msherman1000 3 911 06-23-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,807 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT
  AirSense 10 & 11 filter comparison ejbpesca 0 820 02-21-2023, 05:02 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.