Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S8 Autoset?
S8 Autoset?
I have looked at the dealers here on the pages for second hand S9 Auto Sets but they have some great ones if you are in the USofA but for Canada, there is very little.
We in Canada are used to this. No matter what we wish to buy online we are very limited in comparison to Americans

Someone is selling a S8 on my locale kijijij which appears to be an AutoSet although they don't yet say how much they want for it but in my looking around i am finding that the S8 is much more common than the S9

Seeing as Im having little luck finding an S9 Auto set, IF its a barely used S8 will it do the same as the S9?

The only advantage of the AUT0 SET for me at this point is that it can read the card and i can see how i am doing and all the things u all do with yours but as nice as I suppose the pressure being lessened might be, its not a problem for me running at full speed the whole night. I don't seem to suffer any claustrophobia, etc........hence, i am wondering IF the ability to read the card, have software, etc, is going to make a huge enough difference for me in the long run?

I know people like others to get the auto set as too many people give up on CPAP as they cannot handle the pressure, which might have been the case for the hubby, seconded by the doctor telling him he really didn't need it anyhow but if i am not suffering that same problem, then getting the ability to lower the pressure at some points during the night is not going to make a difference for me as to whether I remain papping for i will with the Escape model anyhow...?!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: S8 Autoset?
I have an S8 VPAP auto and I like it. If I had my druthers, I would get an S9 VPAP auto. I get data from my machine but not as much info as the S9s. I do not get waveforms nor I get any distinction between OAs and CAs. I do get things like AHI, leaks, minute ventilation, etc. The VPAP machines are bilevel and the S8 VPAP auto can be used in CPAP, S mode (bi-level), and auto bi-level. Of course there are other S8 machines but the VPAP auto is the one that I am familiar with.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2014, 10:12 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: I have looked at the dealers here on the pages for second hand S9 Auto Sets but they have some great ones if you are in the USofA but for Canada, there is very little.
. . .
Seeing as Im having little luck finding an S9 Auto set, IF its a barely used S8 will it do the same as the S9?
. . .

Hi ShelaghDB,
I'm relatively new (PAPing since Jan 2014), and I started w/ the S9 Autoset, so I have no direct experience w/ the earlier model S8.

I'm sure others may jump in here with any corrections, but I seem to recall reading posts indicating the following:

(1) The S8 does not use a standard SD card, but rather a special format card that is specific for the Resmed S8 machines. As such, you would need to obtain an S8 Card reader in order to download the data. I also seem to recall this Card reader costing $50 or more, and it may require loading device drivers in order for ResScan to access it.

(2) I don't think that Sleepyhead supports the S8 series machines. I believe you would need to use ResScan (MS windows only) to look at your data. This would be a downer for me, as I much prefer looking at Sleepyhead for the graphs. ResScan uses Y-axis scaling that is so compressed that it's hard to see much detail.

(3) I believe the algorithms in the S9 for detecting and differentiating types of apneas and treating them appropriately were enhanced over the S8.

(4) I believe the S9 series were the first to use a humidifier reservoir that can be disassembled for cleaning. After reading about mold issues, this is one feature I would not willingly do without.

My suggestion would be to keep on looking . . .

Good luck in your hunt!
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply
It is possible to buy brand new from the web. I just did. That includes getting the Script also.
Post Reply Post Reply
For reason outlined by 'becker44a', I would with S9 AutoSet (not S9 Escape Auto)

Suppliers #2 (sell used machines too) and #10 ship To Canada
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

CPAP machnes are multi voltages, you need plug adapter but suppose its all the same US and Canada
Post Reply Post Reply
This may be a little late, but I started with an S8 Elite II, which is data capable, and as a CPAP it works fine. It is not an APAP. Yes, I did have to obtain a special card reader and the software to see the data, but it served me well for 4.5 years. I now have an S9Autoset, and use it in auto mode, and probably will use the S8 as a spare machine. My original titration showed I needed a pressure of 10, but the autoset shows that the median pressure should be 11.5. Quite a difference. That is the simplest data that shows anything worth having as a 1st time user, in my opinion. Keep at it, it is worth it in staying healthy.
I-love-CPAP Rycharde
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, so basically I shall just hang in for an S9 AutoSet.
It seems to me that I only need the AutoSet for its ability to give me the data for if i wish to get better, etc I want to be able to take care of this by myself.
As is stands of today, I no longer have a doctor for this but will be looking for a good one in Toronto IF A GOOD ONE exists here in the near future??!!! ;-)

But a fairly new person to CPAP, although the pressure difference would be nice its not the end of the world if i don't have that ability as I am fine doing this on the constant pressure. I gather it can turn some people new to CPAP off but it hasn't with me..
Last but not least, here in Canada, we cannot import from the US easily online.

The only time worth shopping in the US and having something shipped up here is if it small enough to send by regular registered mail.
The minute something needs a shipping company we get dinged badly with import fees.
I believe it is in an attempt to make sure we stick to buying at home.
What we get "dinged" with can often cost ⅓ to almost ½ of the purchase price, hence, we are best off ordering from home.

Unless there is a way around being "dinged" I am not aware of that some other Canadian might know of, I am generally stuck on where I purchase from.
I saw only one Canadian related dealer in the list and only new products.

I'm not going to spend $1,000 when I can likely get on Kijijij here for half of that or just a bit more than half.
But you didn't know that so thank you though for looking that up for me though! Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2014, 10:12 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: i am wondering IF the ability to read the card, have software, etc, is going to make a huge enough difference for me in the long run?

I know people like others to get the auto set as too many people give up on CPAP as they cannot handle the pressure, which might have been the case for the hubby, seconded by the doctor telling him he really didn't need it anyhow but if i am not suffering that same problem, then getting the ability to lower the pressure at some points during the night is not going to make a difference for me as to whether I remain papping for i will with the Escape model anyhow...?!!

Are you having problems with the fixed pressure CPAP therapy as you have it now? If you're not in a big hurry, maybe you could just wait until someone local has one for sale. Here in the US, I've sometimes watched the local Craigslist for a few months to get a better machine when it wasn't urgent to do it now.

Do you ever take visits to your wild, lawless neighbor to the south? Maybe you could find one for sale down in New York state, drive around the lake and do some other shopping or visiting and bring it back. I don't know how hard it is to bring things back into Canada, but I suspect that medical equipment isn't screened as hard as other things. For that matter, do they search or charge you at all for bringing stuff back if you go shopping in the US?

Data capable is "worth it" long term, in my opinion, but unless you're having problems or are thinking of quitting, I don't see a big hurry. You've probably been living with apnea for years. It probably won't do you any harm to use the current setup for a while.

I think some people have used some sort of US based trans-shipping service to get around the restrictions on cross border sales, but don't have the details.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there a reason you are stuck on Resmed?
I have an s9 and I think its great, but I also have a devilbiss intellipap that works just as good.
The devilbiss doesn't give quite as pretty graphs, but I actually prefer the smartflex, and it will automatically switch to battery if the power goes out. That is important to me since I am the last house on the line.
I also have a Respironics system one. Gives more info then either the s9 or the intellipap, but it is not my favorite, more because it doesn't fit my breathing pattern as well as the other two. As for price, the s9 I often see used around $500, which is more then the intellipap new, and around here the prs1 is pretty cheap used, around $300 or less.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 116 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  autoset vs autoset for her on airsense 11? Uzupan 7 1,386 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 Autoset or S11 Autoset? The Latinist 3 1,864 02-01-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: tomtiki
  AirSense11 AutoSet dougsooley 4 756 10-22-2022, 03:49 PM
Last Post: dougsooley
  [Equipment] From iBreeze to Autoset 10 kirby4564 12 1,238 10-15-2022, 11:34 AM
Last Post: kirby4564
  Airsense Autoset 11 eroemer 3 708 10-02-2022, 10:36 AM
Last Post: eroemer
  Autoset 10 repair? Nightynite 8 1,131 06-22-2022, 10:17 AM
Last Post: cpapuserzzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.