Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12cm H20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
S8 vs S9 AHI Event readings
I just got my new S9 Autoset yesterday.

I been running an S8 Autoset for the past few years with AHI Events between 4 and 5.

First night on the S9 I got a 1.32 AHI.

I wonder if it was just an extra good night (although I never had a number below 3.0 AHI with the S8).

Setup is the same. Both machines running in plain CPAP mode at 12cm H20. Same mask, same bed, same pillow, same wife.

I wonder if anyone else experience lower AHI numbers with the S9 over the S8???
04-18-2012 02:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
CHanlon Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Activa LT
Humidifier: ResMed Hi5
CPAP Pressure: 12 -20

Other Comments: Mirage Activa LT nasal mask

RE: S8 vs S9 AHI Event readings
I've only ever had an S9, but I do notice different numbers when I swap wives. :-p
04-18-2012 02:23 PM
Dreamcatcher Offline

Members-b

Machine: Resmed Autoset Spirit II with Quattro F/F & FX Masks
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: H4i
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

(04-18-2012 02:23 PM)CHanlon Wrote:  I've only ever had an S9, but I do notice different numbers when I swap wives. :-p

Laugh-a-lot Too-funny Bigwink

Its been said over the years that the S8 is more agressive when it comes to registering apneas and again you have seemed to add more weight to the argument. The only real way of getting proof is to wear two machines at once but this cant be done. It does seem to be though that the information is true but thats only my opinion.
04-18-2012 02:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Each machine having a different algorithm is going to record AHI differently, (such as the variations between the S8s and S9s which have differing algorithms). Probably more variation between two separate brands of machine as well (ResMed S9 vs. PR System One Auto).

What's important is not so much what the recorded AHI is, but rather your trend data. Most of these modern machines will accurately record the trends for you, which is what you will use to determine the most effective pressure(s) over time.

In other words, it would be inaccurate to say "since the S9 is recording my AHI at 2.0 and the S8 records it at 2.3, the S9 is doing a better job of lowering my AHI levels".

Now, some of that decrease in AHI may in fact be due to a more refined and updated algorithm and better equipment in the S9 units over the S8 units. So some of the lowering of your AHI is for real... but you can't determine that for certain unless you use two machines simultaneously (which as Dreamcatcher pointed out, is impossible).

One thing I will say, is that with a 1.32 AHI on your first night, that is AWESOME. I wouldn't change a thing at this point in your therapy. I can only wish that I could get AHI numbers at that level on a consistent basis.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

04-18-2012 03:13 PM
Tom Offline

Members

Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12cm H20

Other Comments:

All good points.

I agree the AHI Events reading is more of a relative thing. As long as the trend in numbers stays the same or goes down I am happy.

Main reason for upgrading to the S9 was for the CA detection. The older S8 would not do that.
04-18-2012 04:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SlightlySleepy Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Puritan Breeze
Humidifier: Resmed H5
CPAP Pressure: 6-10

Other Comments: EPR off, humidifier 80 deg, heated hose, chin strap to reduce mouth breathing. BMI 21-22

Can any more experienced user comment on how the S9 reports CA (presumably central apnea)? In other words, could it be inferred from the marked reduction in AHI on the S9 that many of the 'AHI' recorded by the S8 were actually CA and no longer treated by the algorithm or recorded? Or are they recorded in some way but just not treated (by escalating pressure)?

I am considering the purchase of an S9 so this is not just a rhetorical question for me. The answer might have some clinical significance for Tom also.

(04-18-2012 04:15 PM)Tom Wrote:  All good points.

I agree the AHI Events reading is more of a relative thing. As long as the trend in numbers stays the same or goes down I am happy.

Main reason for upgrading to the S9 was for the CA detection. The older S8 would not do that.
04-19-2012 12:43 AM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

CSA detection
It uses the Forced Oscillation Technique (FOT) to determine whether the airway is open or closed during an apnoea. Small oscillations in pressure are added to the current device pressure.
The CSA algorithm uses the resulting flow and pressures to measure whether the airway is open or closed.
http://www.s9morecomfort.com/s9morecomfo...toset.html

Central Sleep Apnea Detection and the Enhanced AutoSet Algorithm
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...-paper.pdf
04-19-2012 01:13 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
CHanlon Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: ResMed Activa LT
Humidifier: ResMed Hi5
CPAP Pressure: 12 -20

Other Comments: Mirage Activa LT nasal mask

(04-19-2012 12:43 AM)SlightlySleepy Wrote:  Can any more experienced user comment on how the S9 reports CA (presumably central apnea)? In other words, could it be inferred from the marked reduction in AHI on the S9 that many of the 'AHI' recorded by the S8 were actually CA and no longer treated by the algorithm or recorded? Or are they recorded in some way but just not treated (by escalating pressure)?

I am considering the purchase of an S9 so this is not just a rhetorical question for me. The answer might have some clinical significance for Tom also.

(04-18-2012 04:15 PM)Tom Wrote:  All good points.

(04-19-2012 01:13 AM)zonk Wrote:  CSA detection
It uses the Forced Oscillation Technique (FOT) to determine whether the airway is open or closed during an apnoea. Small oscillations in pressure are added to the current device pressure.
The CSA algorithm uses the resulting flow and pressures to measure whether the airway is open or closed.
http://www.s9morecomfort.com/s9morecomfo...toset.html

Central Sleep Apnea Detection and the Enhanced AutoSet Algorithm
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...-paper.pdf

It still records them as events, and they still add to your AHI - so that doesn't explain the AHI reduction. That could be a change in the algorithm that detects them, or a "policy change" on what constitutes an event. Or even a higher success rate at preventing them. Don't think I've seen any definitive answer.
04-19-2012 08:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  AHI Readings Appear High - New to OSA Ken Middleton 15 759 09-06-2016 06:13 PM
Last Post: Ken Middleton
  A new wrinkle--big CSR event dclaryjr 44 1,729 08-25-2016 09:29 PM
Last Post: dclaryjr
  Please Help Analyze My Data (Pause Event) SkinTone 5 388 08-06-2016 10:55 AM
Last Post: SkinTone
Question High SPO2 readings? natyprueba 6 591 07-15-2016 09:10 AM
Last Post: natyprueba
  Event flagging - How it is performed. NorthernGuy 1 246 07-11-2016 12:04 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Different AHI readings Sleepyjohnnie 4 442 06-19-2016 06:23 PM
Last Post: green wings
  [Equipment] High voltage causing false readings Rcgop 2 361 05-13-2016 09:11 PM
Last Post: palerider