Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 AutoSet - Faulty Machine OR Operator Faulty ?
RE: S9 AutoSet - Faulty Machine OR Operator Faulty ?
Thank you Gentlemen, what would we do without a Forum like this!

This is where I'm at:- autostart (smart start) is now Off. The Ramp has been reduced to 10 mins and may soon go to 5. My EPR is set at 3 and I now know it won't operate until the Ramp hit 7 (I'll try to reduce EPR to 2). My Ramp starts at 4.8 and I have a min pressure of 5.8 with a max of just 10 (yes I know that's pretty low).

To switch off or not switch off when getting up in the that is the question. Well, as I sleep alone (sad isn't it) I am going to try just leaving the thing on and hence avoiding any ramp effect.

I'm sure this must have been covered in another thread but I have found leaving the machine to choose it's own high level of pressure brings me problems. If I move to a difficult position the pressure goes up and I am forced awake by that. At a lower setting nearly all my apnoea events are eliminated and I have a better night.

thanks Roger
Post Reply Post Reply
Your sidebar shows you have a set cpap pressure of 9. Is that still correct? If so, the max ramp of 10 won't do anything. But the more important question is are you receiving proper therapy at 9? What is your ahi experience at this time?

You're doing well with modest modifications to your settings. The key to success is to make small changes and that's what you're doing. That said, if it were my cute little machine I would be teaching it the virtues of a small range of pressures. Something like a minimum of 7 and a maximum of 11 for instance. You're right that a wide range can create problems, but it's also true that a nice narrow focus of min/max pressures can maximize therapy. So it's all about avoiding one extreme or the other.

I also believe you will be a happier camper once you eliminate the ramp feature altogether, and just turn the machine on when you mask up, and off when you take the mask off. That's really a nice and simple way to live.

There are those that disagree, and point out that everyone's different. But I'm not different. I'm the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2015, 01:54 PM)RogerS Wrote: I'm sure this must have been covered in another thread but I have found leaving the machine to choose it's own high level of pressure brings me problems. If I move to a difficult position the pressure goes up and I am forced awake by that. At a lower setting nearly all my apnoea events are eliminated and I have a better night.

thanks Roger

It has been postulated several times but it bears repeating since new users show up all the time. Depending on how long the events last, sometimes it's better to endure the event than to endure the pressure needed to prevent it since the pressure sticks around long after the event is forgotten. There are also circumstances where the autoset feature goes higher than necessary and actually rouses a sleeper that otherwise would have rode out the limitation without having been flagged with an event. All that applies mostly when first starting treatment since the pressure doesn't tend to bother old time users.

It's good to hear that you're doing well and on your way to mastering this sometimes tricky therapy.

Best regards,

Dude

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2015, 01:54 PM)RogerS Wrote: Thank you Gentlemen, what would we do without a Forum like this!

This is where I'm at:- autostart (smart start) is now Off. The Ramp has been reduced to 10 mins and may soon go to 5. My EPR is set at 3 and I now know it won't operate until the Ramp hit 7 (I'll try to reduce EPR to 2). My Ramp starts at 4.8 and I have a min pressure of 5.8 with a max of just 10 (yes I know that's pretty low).

To switch off or not switch off when getting up in the that is the question. Well, as I sleep alone (sad isn't it) I am going to try just leaving the thing on and hence avoiding any ramp effect.

I'm sure this must have been covered in another thread but I have found leaving the machine to choose it's own high level of pressure brings me problems. If I move to a difficult position the pressure goes up and I am forced awake by that. At a lower setting nearly all my apnoea events are eliminated and I have a better night.

thanks Roger

You may find leaving the machine to blow will prove uncomfortable when you refit tge mask. If so, try shortening the ramp to 5mins, that way you'll be back at treatment pressure almost at the same time as you fall asleep. I found this worked very well for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2015, 01:54 PM)RogerS Wrote: My EPR is set at 3 and I now know it won't operate until the Ramp hit 7 (I'll try to reduce EPR to 2). My Ramp starts at 4.8 and I have a min pressure of 5.8 with a max of just 10 (yes I know that's pretty low).

If you are still having problems, consider turning off the EPR. The EPR caused problems for me because my airway would close on exhale due to the pressure drop. It seems I need the back pressure to keep it open. Also, my numbers dropped just by turning it off.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,098 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 189 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going. marvin2023 2 584 10-10-2023, 07:26 PM
Last Post: marvin2023
  [Equipment] I think my ResMed Airsense 10 machine is faulty – Can any one please help . BangkokBoy 13 2,023 09-28-2023, 06:50 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Old Resmed Autoset S9 machine SteveC 4 635 09-13-2023, 08:30 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Could My Aircurve 10 ASV Be Faulty From New? Trevor G 7 869 05-14-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Trevor G
  autoset vs autoset for her on airsense 11? Uzupan 7 1,439 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.