Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 AutoSet - Noise at the breathing out!
RE: S9 AutoSet - Noise at the breathing out!
SMenasco,(time=1324067369) Wrote:Until I receive them, I have set the machine down low on a little stool and covered it with a thick towel. The noise is still there, but minimized considerably. I'll report again after I try the new masks.
Just a thought, but covering up a CPAP with a towel may not be the best solution. As with all electronic equipment, the unit needs to dissipate heat effectively to remain at a cool operating temperature. Covering with a towel retains more heat within the unit and may eventually cause some damage over time. Granted, CPAPs don't put out as much heat as a personal computer, but they still put out some heat.

I would definitely not do this if you're using a heated humidifier as that could risk fire.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
PaulaO Wrote:I have a pillow over mine.

But you'd think that a mask's hose would not add that much back pressure as say, an apnea event would.
Post Reply Post Reply
SMenasco Wrote:With respect, SS, I support a different viewpoint. The humidifier heater plate never gets warmer than 165 degrees F. and a good portion of that heat is transferred into the water. The turbine can revolve at up to 20k rpm. Very little heat is generated in the turbine housing, best bearings available. I submit there's no danger of overheating nor of fire by laying something on top of the machine, as the air intake to the impeller provides internal cooling. However, individuals must determine what's best for their piece of mind and comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
SMenasco,(time=1324073619) Wrote:Very little heat is generated in the turbine housing, best bearings available. I submit there's no danger of overheating nor of fire by laying something on top of the machine, as the air intake to the impeller provides internal cooling. However, individuals must determine what's best for their piece of mind and comfort.
I guess I'm very cautious when it comes to electronic equipment. I don't put anything on it that causes reduced airflow or carries the risk of possible fire. My father-in-law is a retired firefighter and my dad used to teach electronics (not that I know a lot about those subjects)... but in any case they both instilled in me a healthy dose of caution when it comes to electronic equipment... Big Grin

From the S9 Manual there are some warnings:
Quote:Blocking the air tubing and/or air inlet of the S9 device while in operation could lead to overheating of the device.

If you put the device on the floor, make sure the area is free from dust and clear of bedding, clothes
or other objects that could block the air inlet or cover the power supply unit.

The airflow for breathing produced by these devices can be as much as 6ºC higher than the
temperature of the room.
So, even though you might use some sort of fabric to muffle the sound, I'd still be careful that the fabric does not fall off the sides enough to cover the air inlet.

If a fire actually DID happen that was traced back to the CPAP... and it was found out that you didn't follow manufacturer's instructions above ("make sure the area is free from dust and clear of bedding, clothes or other objects that could block the air inlet or cover the power supply unit") it might be possible that you would be found negligent when it comes time for insurance to pay for repairs or replacement to your home due to the fire. I'd take a detailed look through my fire insurance policy to make sure that there isn't a clause in their that would cause them to refuse payment in the case of homeowner neglect. They are in the business to make money and to minimize payouts and they can be terrible to deal with if it's found out that the homeowner caused the fire.

I could very well be over-estimating the risk, and I would agree that the risk is probably very small... I don't know enough to know for sure, so I take the safe route.

You are right - each of us must decide for ourselves. Coffee

Let us know what happens once you try the other masks... thanks!
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
zonk Wrote:I,m not blocking anything just placing the machine on a small stool wedged between the night stand and the bed, sometimes switch the fan to muffle the continuous annoying sound the machine makes when exhaling .
Edit: Just came to me while having my coffee this morning, put piece of cotton wool in the ear or an ear plug. May be ear plug is not good idea . Any thought
Post Reply Post Reply
SMenasco Wrote:I tried ear plugs. It did eliminate hearing the machine noise, but intensified the air rush noise through the tubing, which, prior to the insertion of the plugs, was silent. Sometimes we can't win for losing.
Post Reply Post Reply
PaulaO Wrote:I think if we are using a machine that needs to have towels or pillows over it or we feel compelled to sleep with earplugs, that something is wrong with the machine.

I'm tempted to go with another brand and tell Resmed to either fix it or take it off the market.
Post Reply Post Reply
zonk Wrote:Philips Respironics claim that their PRS1 is quieter than the ResMed S9 but i have seen PRS1 owners complain as well .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT0wjfXVTFU
Post Reply Post Reply
SMenasco Wrote:I haven't received my new mask yet. DME, upon direction of ResMed rep., is sending a nasal mask with a larger supply tube to replace my Swift II, thinking that the small supply tube is causing the turbine to create the exhalation noise. We'll see. Until then, machine is still voicing its opinion on every breath. However, sitting it on a small stool near the floor and covering it with TWO large bath towels has pretty well masked the noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
zonk Wrote:I have noticed that the noise level has decreased since using the slim line.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,151 4 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 121 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,286 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 147 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 151 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.