Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 AutoSet - Noise at the breathing out!
RE: S9 AutoSet - Noise at the breathing out!
SMenasco Wrote:I received a loaner UltraMirage nasal mask from my DME, suggested by the ResMed representative, to see if the larger tubing (Swift II has small supply tubing to the pillows) would eliminate exhalation noise. They also sent a hose wrap. Why, I do not know. I have never had a rain out nor any noises from humidifier or tubing. With the nasal mask, the noise changed from an elongated bleep to a shorter bleep at the end of the exhalation. Based on all the different settings and things I have tried, I am now pretty well convinced this is an unintended consequence of the engineering design of the turbine/impeller system; especially since this replacement for the first S9 machine did the same exact thing. The S9 Autoset is a great machine. The auto function is really comfortable and has enhanced my rest, compared to my old S8 Lightweight cpap. However, as punishment for honking at me with every breath, it is now relegated from the nightstand back to the short penalty stool between the bed and nightstand, out of earshot, with a pillow on top of it. The noise is masked to the point where it at least doesn't wake me up three or more times a night. It's a shame that an attractive, extremely quiet (except for the obnoxious bleep) machine will spend its life almost on the floor covered up with a pillow. I'm really disappointed. At this stage, this is my fifth and possibly the final RedMed machine. We'll see.
Post Reply Post Reply
PaulaO Wrote:The noise with mine (S9 Escape) seems really sporadic. Some nights it does it, others it doesn't. When I don't hear it when I go to sleep, it wakes me up a few hours later and I put a pillow over it.

I can tolerate a drone sound but one that is matched to my breathing is very very annoying.
Post Reply Post Reply
SMenasco Wrote:PaulaO, i agree. The noise isn't loud, it's just so unlike any other noise you might hear in a quiet bedroom. I can't help myself when it starts, I just cannot ignore it. My wife can hear it and says it sounds like a goose honking from afar.

PaulaO Wrote:Yes! LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2012, 01:35 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: [parts of this thread were copied from our old forum]

Gustave Wrote:Hello everyone!

Does the user of ResMed S9 Autoset can help me?

Can you tell me if your S9 device makes a little stride flickering noise at the breathing out only, and much stronger if the pressure is above 9.5 cm H2O.
I checked and the noise comes from the engine compartment, seems like wind whistle sound. For direct connection, without the humidifier, noise appears again, always at the breathing out. I check the mask too, I tried with a other one, it's the same thing. Sometimes it's more or less strong, more or less constant with variations of frequency. Other times it's gone completly...

My device is brand new, I use it since a week and I am very pleased with this S9 except for that. I wonder if this noise is "standard" with this product or it is defective?

Thank you to help me

Gustave

Read my post ( New Auto Machine )
Post Reply Post Reply
There were few issues with the S9 mainly with the climate line but were addressed by ResMed and the updated model with the new software version might be even better.
I've read more problems with PR system one and Philips Respironics launched an updated model PRS1 60 series Auto with heated hose to compete with S9 climate line and Icon heated hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2012, 05:10 PM)The Dreamer Wrote: Read my post ( New Auto Machine )

That thread is HERE.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have ResMed S9 autoset, and it does not make any noise at all...pressure is only 6 so that may be the reason that I do not get the noise. Machine is at bedside table level. I do find that sometimes it is difficult to breathe thru my ResMed mirage fx..nasal mask..but brushing the vent holes with a soft toothbrush corrects the problem....
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2012, 09:16 PM)cpapped Wrote: I have ResMed S9 autoset, and it does not make any noise at all...pressure is only 6 so that may be the reason that I do not get the noise. Machine is at bedside table level. I do find that sometimes it is difficult to breathe thru my ResMed mirage fx..nasal mask..but brushing the vent holes with a soft toothbrush corrects the problem....

Hi cpapped, welcome! After reading though this thread yesterday, last night I was trying to intently listen to my S9 AutoSet for any noise... Maybe I'm getting deaf in my old age, but that thing is darn near silent except for the air coming out of my mask holes.

I was used to my old pre-2007 REMstar Pro, which was rather noisy, so maybe it's just because I'm comparing it with that REMstar Pro (nick-named "the tank"). Dont-know

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my S9. :grin:

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2012, 10:24 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Hi cpapped, welcome! After reading though this thread yesterday, last night I was trying to intently listen to my S9 AutoSet for any noise... Maybe I'm getting deaf in my old age, but that thing is darn near silent except for the air coming out of my mask holes.
Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my S9. :grin:

Mine makes a *very* slight whistle on exhale, always has (had it 14 months now), and my average pressure is usually 14+ at least. But it's so slight it doesn't even bother my wife. Honestly, I think its just the fact that the machine is so quiet that you can hear things like that.

That said, we have a small humidifier in the room that's usually on at night. It's slightly louder then the S9, and tends to drown out the S9 even when the humidifier is 10 feet away from me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have the S9 and have the same noise problem. I sent it back to Resmed and they decided there was a trapped wire in the casing and replaced the motor as they claimed the insulation was damaged.

They said there was "no evidence of noise" Although the noise level is low, it is very annoying in a quiet room.

I still have the noise despite me asking Resmed to Google the subject and do something about it!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,174 11 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,295 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 147 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 152 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 173 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.