Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 AutoSet - Noise at the breathing out!
RE: S9 AutoSet - Noise at the breathing out!
Check this out.

Post Reply Post Reply
My trial unit was an autoset s9 and it was quiet. My new unit (s9 elite) has the SX474-0905 software, with a pressure of 12 and I am just about to take it back because of the exhale whistle. To me it sounds like a turbine blade problem with cavitation occuring when the flow decreases. I have also woken up in the night gasping for air as it seems like the flow just is not there and moving the device/hose starts the flow again. Has anyone else seen this effect? I cannot see anything on the graphs that would indicate any problem though? So I am a little confused about what exactly is happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2012, 10:50 PM)oldteddybear Wrote: I have also woken up in the night gasping for air as it seems like the flow just is not there and moving the device/hose starts the flow again. Has anyone else seen this effect?
Hi oldteddybear
I haven,t notice it could be faulty.
Do you by chance use SmartStart or may be the mask vent holes get locked by bed covers.

Post Reply Post Reply
I used to have this issue from time to time with my Autoset S9, sounded kind of like Darth Vader inhaling and exhaling. The blower itself wasn't making much if any noise. That was before when I had my machine sitting on top of the hard surface of my nightstand which is slightly higher than the level of my mattress. I now place my machine on a small step stool about a foot off the ground right next to my bed with a towel on the step stool to assist in absorbing any sounds. This for me has eliminated all of the inhale/exhale sounds and the machine is now virtually silent.ShhhDancing
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Went back to the supplier and demonstrated the problem. They contacted Resmed to try and find how to correct the problem. We removed ramp, epr and tried everything that they asked as well as trying 2 other new units and I was able to re-create the noise with all of them. My new unit is on the way back to Resmed to be examined, and the supplier is not certain what to do with the other new units that have the same problem. It appears to be a design flaw that shows up when the pressure is at the higher pressures.

So I am now on a trial of a REMstar Pro C-Flex + with no climateline (which may be a problem in my cold bedroom).
Post Reply Post Reply
You would think with all the technology we have today, they could make cpap's that you could not hear. I'm sure it can be done, they say it's becouse they have made them so small that they can't get enough sound deadening material in them.

I say if thats the case, make them bigger! at lest you could stand to sleep beside it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2012, 02:06 PM)oldteddybear Wrote: My new unit is on the way back to Resmed to be examined, and the supplier is not certain what to do with the other new units that have the same problem.
I would think they keep giving out those machines till won,t come back any more.
ResMed as other manufacturers don,t tell us about faults they just fix them and bring out a new updated version.
Recently ResMed and Phillips Respironics updated their S9 and System One.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2012, 09:20 PM)zonk Wrote:
(03-06-2012, 02:06 PM)oldteddybear Wrote: My new unit is on the way back to Resmed to be examined, and the supplier is not certain what to do with the other new units that have the same problem.
I would think they keep giving out those machines till won,t come back any more.
ResMed as other manufacturers don,t tell us about faults they just fix them and bring out a new updated version.
Recently ResMed and Phillips Respironics updated their S9 and System One.

I think that they went the wrong way with this one. These are all of the most current units.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well we need Steven on this one
He is an authority on the new S9 updated software version and whether indeed the units were the most recent ones.

(03-06-2012, 09:20 PM)zonk Wrote:
(03-06-2012, 02:06 PM)oldteddybear Wrote:
I think that they went the wrong way with this one. These are all of the most current units.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well the trial of the REMstar Pro C-Flex + ended in failure. The machine was so loud that I could not sleep with a huge difference in inhale/exhale noise levels and it kept on trying to change my breathing patterns by switching to blow while I was exhaling and dropping the flow while I was trying to breath in. So I am back to the trial S9 Auto set to CPAP (old model) while they try and sort out the problems with the elite.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 44 1,086 1 hour ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 106 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,259 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 87 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.