Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 AutoSet - Noise at the breathing out!
RE: S9 AutoSet - Noise at the breathing out!
It's a pity the S8 is not available any more. Apart from the heated hose that the S9 has, the S8 was a good machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am too new to CPAP to have seen that model. I just hope that something good happens soon as I am about to start 10 weeks of 60 Hour weeks at work and I need this!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2012, 02:02 PM)oldteddybear Wrote: I am too new to CPAP to have seen that model. I just hope that something good happens soon as I am about to start 10 weeks of 60 Hour weeks at work and I need this!!!

I'd try changing things like the position of the unit, etc. - several people have suggested putting it down closer to the floor, just to get it off the same plane as your ear.

As I noted above, my S9 Autoset sometimes makes a slight whistle on exhales - and I'm averaging about 16 cm pressure, so if what you're hearing is related to higher pressures, I'd hear it. :-) My machine is actually at about my ear level on the nightstand next to me, but there's also a humidifier in the far corner of the room. It more then covers the sound of the APAP, and the "white noise" from it tends to mask noise from outside as well. Perhaps some sort of white noise generator would help in your case.

Also, as you say, you're new to it... you *will* get used to hearing whatever machine you finally choose. Eventually you won't be comfortable *not* hearing it. My wife and I have travelled with the machine, and at those times we're able to hear it... and it doesn't even bother her then.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2012, 12:56 PM)oldteddybear Wrote: Well the trial of the REMstar Pro C-Flex + ended in failure. The machine was so loud that I could not sleep with a huge difference in inhale/exhale noise levels and it kept on trying to change my breathing patterns by switching to blow while I was exhaling and dropping the flow while I was trying to breath in. So I am back to the trial S9 Auto set to CPAP (old model) while they try and sort out the problems with the elite.

The new PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine with A-Flex is real quite, you may want to give one a try.

The old PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine with A-Flex that I had was not all that quite, but the new one is, they sad they fixed the sound problems when they made the newer one's

Post Reply Post Reply
I found a fix for the loud cpap noise !

SleepPhones
Don't let the hum of your CPAP machine keep you up. SleepPhones are headphones made from a washable lightweight, fleece headband with speakers woven into the sides. Use any audio device with a headphone output jack to listen to your favorite band or relaxation tracks.

[Image: SleepPhonewithCord.jpg] Laugh-a-lot Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
On a scale using the apparent sound for the S9 auto as a 1-1.2, the s9 elite was a 3-4 and the REMstar was 8-10(inhale exhale and quite Darth Vaderish). The difficulty is that the machines acting on the siren principle in which the continuous changing dual tone will grab your attention. If the machines were just as loud but generated a totally consistant noise then it would be easier to block it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2012, 10:50 PM)oldteddybear Wrote: My trial unit was an autoset s9 and it was quiet. My new unit (s9 elite) has the SX474-0905 software, with a pressure of 12 and I am just about to take it back because of the exhale whistle. To me it sounds like a turbine blade problem with cavitation occuring when the flow decreases. I have also woken up in the night gasping for air as it seems like the flow just is not there and moving the device/hose starts the flow again. Has anyone else seen this effect? I cannot see anything on the graphs that would indicate any problem though? So I am a little confused about what exactly is happening.

My pressure does sometimes get over 15 & I don't hear that whistle.
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply
I am eligible for a new machine adn "thought" I was sold on the S9 Autoset.

But after reading these many posts, and other on toher forums, I am re-thinking this choice.

Whatever I get this time, I will be stuck with for 5 years and I don't want to be stuck with one that whistles on exhale.

Perhaps the New PR System 1 Remstar 60 series is a better choice ?

Has anyone here had a chance to compare the S9 Autoset and the new PR System 1 Remster series 60 ?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
There's some theory about the whistle is coming from the filter area. That changing or repositioning the filter "fixes" the issue.

The noise from mine is very intermittent. Either that or I've gotten used to it.

Check out this thread for discussion between the two machines/manufacturers.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...vs-S9-Auto
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2012, 12:22 PM)timp4411 Wrote: I am eligible for a new machine adn "thought" I was sold on the S9 Autoset.

But after reading these many posts, and other on toher forums, I am re-thinking this choice.

Whatever I get this time, I will be stuck with for 5 years and I don't want to be stuck with one that whistles on exhale.

Perhaps the New PR System 1 Remstar 60 series is a better choice ?

Has anyone here had a chance to compare the S9 Autoset and the new PR System 1 Remster series 60 ?

Thanks

Anytime I've heard mine whistle it's been so slight as to not be an issue. Actually, I only realised a couple months ago that it stopped doing it right sometime after I last changed the filters. If I hear it again, I'll change them again and see if that solves it.

Try the machine out, if you can, somewhere quiet. It might not be something you notice, and thus might not be a factor in your final decision.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,048 4 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 104 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,254 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 84 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 141 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 146 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.