Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 Autoset goes to Max pressure with N30i mask
RE: S9 Autoset goes to Max pressure with N30i mask
I have downloaded sleepyhead and will try it out in the next day or so.  I already use EPR.  Interestingly, I have a loan Dreamstation Go Auto for the next week or.  And I notice that the same masks that were giving me the straight to max issue did not have the same issue on this machine.  Testing them (awake) resulted them staying very close to the minimum setting.  At present I am still using my S9/Mirage Activa setup for my overnight sleep, but at the weekend I may give the N30i a go with the Dreamstation and see how it goes with in a real run.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2019, 03:01 AM)elliotg Wrote: I have downloaded sleepyhead and will try it out in the next day or so.  I already use EPR.  Interestingly, I have a loan Dreamstation Go Auto for the next week or.  And I notice that the same masks that were giving me the straight to max issue did not have the same issue on this machine.  Testing them (awake) resulted them staying very close to the minimum setting.  At present I am still using my S9/Mirage Activa setup for my overnight sleep, but at the weekend I may give the N30i a go with the Dreamstation and see how it goes with in a real run.

The Resmed machines are highly responsive to flow limitation, which we discussed earlier. Philips machines are not very responsive to flow limit, so pressure does not increase.  In some people, flow limitation is a precursor to hypopnea and obstructive apnea events.  For those that have the events, the Resmed is better because it increases pressure to prevent them. If you have flow limitation without events, the maximum pressure of the Resmed can be limited to what is comfortable.  If you were using Sleepyhead, our advise would be more concise.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2019, 09:46 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 03:01 AM)elliotg Wrote: I have downloaded sleepyhead and will try it out in the next day or so.  I already use EPR.  Interestingly, I have a loan Dreamstation Go Auto for the next week or.  And I notice that the same masks that were giving me the straight to max issue did not have the same issue on this machine.  Testing them (awake) resulted them staying very close to the minimum setting.  At present I am still using my S9/Mirage Activa setup for my overnight sleep, but at the weekend I may give the N30i a go with the Dreamstation and see how it goes with in a real run.

The Resmed machines are highly responsive to flow limitation, which we discussed earlier. Philips machines are not very responsive to flow limit, so pressure does not increase.  In some people, flow limitation is a precursor to hypopnea and obstructive apnea events.  For those that have the events, the Resmed is better because it increases pressure to prevent them. If you have flow limitation without events, the maximum pressure of the Resmed can be limited to what is comfortable.  If you were using Sleepyhead, our advise would be more concise.

What is the best way of sending a sleepyhead result to this forum?  I tried Print to PDF but the document was rejected as too large!

I will for now just paste in a few screen shots pasted into a word Doc
Ignore the first run - it was with the wrong cushion.

Let me know if you find anything useful.  Incidentally, I love Sleepyhead

Attached Files
.docx   s9 with n30i mask.docx (Size: 88.12 KB / Downloads: 2)
Post Reply Post Reply
To upload information press F12 in Sleepyhead and it will take a screen shot to a screenshot folder in your sleepyhead data directory, that can be uploaded directly here. Look in my signature for further information
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay. The F12 is magic!  I have now added 3 screenshots to cover all of the all of the info.  To clarify, the is a short run to show what happens when I use the n30i mask with the Resmed s9.  I also did a run with the mask attached to the Dreamstation.  The pressure stayed at 6.  I could not get this data into Sleepyhead due to a lack of a MicroSD data card! They don't come with this.  I will certainly get one.

Elliot
Post Reply Post Reply
Your settings on the S9 Autoset are a minimum pressure of 6.0 and maximum pressure of 12 with EPR at 3. This chart is based on a therapy session of only 15 minutes, so there is a limit to what we can conclude from this short sample, and it is likely you have no sleep in this sample. The chart does not include flow limitations, but the summary indicates they are very prevalent, and if you zoom in on the flow rate graph I'm certain you would see a flattened or downward sloping wave form. Your EPR setting at 3 does help with flow limitation.

The Resmed machines recognize flow limitation as obstruction, and the autoset algorithm will rapidly increase pressure. Normally this results in fewer events, but for people with chronic flow limits, it is often necessary to limit the maximum pressure with settings. Philips auto CPAP machines do not respond very fast to flow limitation and for some people, this leaves them vulnerable to more hypopnea and OA events as pressure stays too low to treat events before they occur. The behavior of the Dreamstation Go is predictable in this context. We don't have enough data (time in therapy) to know whether your flow limitations eventually give rise to obstructive events, so it's hard to conclude what approach works best for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 198 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 663 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 406 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,814 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Do mask types affect xpaps rise in eye pressure? Happyeyes 4 392 01-12-2024, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 369 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph
  Mask for High Pressure on ASV PamVT41 8 588 12-16-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.