Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 Autoset or Elite
RE: S9 Autoset or Elite
(06-09-2014, 02:12 PM)JWR Wrote:
(06-09-2014, 11:38 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-08-2014, 08:36 PM)JWR Wrote: I know on a fixed pressure I can't sleep on my back , but with my auto my pressure will creep up from around 13.5 on normal nights to 17.5 to 18 when I'm on my back . Yes I know shouldn't sleep on my back . I can still get a good nights sleep and have around .17 to .38 even a few 0 AHI nights on my back . can't do that with a fixed pressure machine cause it can't compensate when something changes in your sleep pattern or your having a bad night.

You could just go with a fixed pressure of 18. That's essentially what you'd have to do if you had a fixed pressure machine.

If you had trouble tolerating that high of a fixed pressure, that would be a situation where the auto-CPAP machine would become most useful.

Congrats Gabby on the Autoset Banana
That's why I Do have a Auto machine . Get to enjoy being able to sleep how ever I like and still be covered instead of high pressure all the time like on a fix pressure machine to do the same Agreed

I loved your dancing banana, Thanks
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again everyone for your thoughtful replies.
I feel as if I am a lightweight CPAP user, my AHI only being 18, and having a pressure of only 6.
Sometimes I think why even bother having a machine if it is only on 6, when I read all about the high pressures most of you are on.

But I do understand the severity of sleep apnea and I suppose if I wasn't compliant while I have the chance my numbers could very well grow.

Anyway as I said before now I have made the decision and placed the order, I am so excited to be getting this Grand PooBah of machines, and getting rid of the brick, the further away the better.

Many thanks again and no doubt once it arrives I will return with questions, and thanks for the invite!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
The new machine should come from the factory with a sdcard. Not a big deal if it doesn't, but it should be there. I think you'll like the S9. I sure like mine. The niftiest thing is you can turn the machine on then take the mask off your hose and scare the crap out of the miserable cats.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 07:08 PM)Gabby Wrote: I feel as if I am a lightweight CPAP user, my AHI only being 18, and having a pressure of only 6. Sometimes I think why even bother having a machine if it is only on 6, when I read all about the high pressures most of you are on.

I recall seeing lots of posts from users with pressure that low. It simply means that the tissue that's causing the airway collapse is easier to move.

It's the AHI that matters, not the pressure. An AHI of 18 is clinically considered to be moderate sleep apnea, which is of course worse than mild sleep apnea. That's an average of 3 or 4 events every minute. That's like someone poking you awake that many times per minute, only worse because instead of being poked you're being suffocated.

CPAP therapy is definitely worth the bother for you. Especially in view of the fact that as we adapt it's no longer bothersome to use it, it's just an inconvenience. But it's worth it because it will make a huge improvement in the quality of your life. Not to mention the health benefits.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 06:56 PM)Gabby Wrote: Zonk, I have a different supplier in the U.S. that I have bought my humidifier, masks, pipes, hoses and any other equipment I have needed since the start of my journey.
Do you mind tell me the name of the supplier, no rules broken proving saying the name but not dot com
for example CPAP Ali Baba or something like that

If you,re happy with the service, cheaper than other US suppliers and ship to Australia too, you might do a poll in MM forum to include them on our suppliers list

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 04:48 AM)Gabby Wrote: Everyone who answered me from #2 through to #10, thank you all very much.
You were all very kind and gave me much the same advice, go for the Autoset.
Once I have the Autoset I am then able to set it at CPAP mode if that is what I am most comfortable with.
Also if I need the Autoset down the track I will have it.
You all did a good job of mostly assuring me I would be ok with the settings so I am definitely going with the Autoset and have gone ahead and ordered it.

So thanks to you all, I am going to be the owner, finally of an S9 Autoset.
It will be a few weeks before it arrives, I will have been on CPAP for five months by then.
Hi Gabby,
WOOHOO,! that's great to hear. What a neat 5-month aniversary gift to yourself.
Since I am unfamiliar with how to use the emoticons, I'll just say THUMBS UP.!
Good luck to you with the new machine and enjoy it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 10:21 PM)trish6hundred Wrote:
(06-09-2014, 04:48 AM)Gabby Wrote: Everyone who answered me from #2 through to #10, thank you all very much.
You were all very kind and gave me much the same advice, go for the Autoset.
Once I have the Autoset I am then able to set it at CPAP mode if that is what I am most comfortable with.
Also if I need the Autoset down the track I will have it.
You all did a good job of mostly assuring me I would be ok with the settings so I am definitely going with the Autoset and have gone ahead and ordered it.

So thanks to you all, I am going to be the owner, finally of an S9 Autoset.
It will be a few weeks before it arrives, I will have been on CPAP for five months by then.
Hi Gabby,
WOOHOO,! that's great to hear. What a neat 5-month aniversary gift to yourself.
Since I am unfamiliar with how to use the emoticons, I'll just say THUMBS UP.!
Good luck to you with the new machine and enjoy it.

Thank you so much Trish.
This five months has gone quite fast and I am proud to say I have never gone one single night without my machine and mask. I never allow myself to remove the mask before 6am and many times if I have a bathroom stop at that hour I will still mask up for the final hour or two of sleep.

I could not have made it so far or been as compliant if I hadn't had been a daily reader of this forum and received the continued guidance and support I have needed, simply by reading and learning from all the varied questions and answers.
It is great that people come and go but most regulars have been here as long as me (which isn't very long)and very much longer, including you Trish.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 07:17 PM)retired_guy Wrote: The new machine should come from the factory with a sdcard. Not a big deal if it doesn't, but it should be there. I think you'll like the S9. I sure like mine. The niftiest thing is you can turn the machine on then take the mask off your hose and scare the crap out of the miserable cats.

If I am able to get any reaction out of my 20 year old cat with an attitude, I'll try it!
He rules this place.eeew
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 07:42 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-09-2014, 07:08 PM)Gabby Wrote: I feel as if I am a lightweight CPAP user, my AHI only being 18, and having a pressure of only 6. Sometimes I think why even bother having a machine if it is only on 6, when I read all about the high pressures most of you are on.

I recall seeing lots of posts from users with pressure that low. It simply means that the tissue that's causing the airway collapse is easier to move.

It's the AHI that matters, not the pressure. An AHI of 18 is clinically considered to be moderate sleep apnea, which is of course worse than mild sleep apnea. That's an average of 3 or 4 events every minute. That's like someone poking you awake that many times per minute, only worse because instead of being poked you're being suffocated.

CPAP therapy is definitely worth the bother for you. Especially in view of the fact that as we adapt it's no longer bothersome to use it, it's just an inconvenience. But it's worth it because it will make a huge improvement in the quality of your life. Not to mention the health benefits.

Thanks Sleepster, when you put it like that it makes a world of difference.
No, I am quite used to my machine and mask now and I think I would feel strange curling up to go to sleep without it.
It is just part of the bedtime ritual and it is great only waking once or twice a night now instead of five or six times a night and getting up everyone of those time to go to the bathroom.
Oh how I miss those trips, NOT!

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 08:55 PM)zonk Wrote:
(06-09-2014, 06:56 PM)Gabby Wrote: Zonk, I have a different supplier in the U.S. that I have bought my humidifier, masks, pipes, hoses and any other equipment I have needed since the start of my journey.
Do you mind tell me the name of the supplier, no rules broken proving saying the name but not dot com
for example CPAP Ali Baba or something like that

If you,re happy with the service, cheaper than other US suppliers and ship to Australia too, you might do a poll in MM forum to include them on our suppliers list

Zonk I have sent you a personal message with some information.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  [CPAP] Res Med S9 Elite bikerfriend 3 102 03-14-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 232 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite stuck "erasing all data", bricked User3001 0 272 11-17-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: User3001
Question How do I enable autoset on a ReMed Airsense 10 elite krschultz 3 583 09-25-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Noise resmed 10 autoset elite Galletto1959 0 480 05-19-2023, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Galletto1959

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.