Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 Climate Control & ResMed VP responds to Apnea Board member questions
RE: S9 Climate Control & ResMed VP responds to Apnea Board member questions
Hello,

I am new to this forum so I'm not sure this is the right place to post. Please redirect me if I'm in the wrong place...

I've been using a Resmed S8 autoset with a Swift LT nasal mask for the past 6 years, much to my statisfaction. Last september it was replaced by an S9 autoset with a H5i humidifier. Still using the LT nasal mask I experienced waking up a couple of times in the middle of the night. After a few very bad nights I consulted the local Resmed dealer who advised me to start using Climate line tubing, which I did and have been using since. The problem is I still wake up several of times during each night with a completely dry mouth (tongue stuck to my teeth, can hardly open my mouth). This is becoming a very serious problem for me and I am desparate for some good advice how to deal with this.

I do not sleep with my mouth open. The S9 came all set up and I do not know how to alter any settings. What can be done?

Post Reply Post Reply
Hey jgolim,
I too am having issues with the S9 and H5i with dry mouth and stuffy nose. I have been using this unit ~a month and still playing with it to see what results I get. The last week it has been much better. Here is what I did. I disabled the auto setting on the ClimateLine tubing and went to manual (no rainout issues yet). This allowed me to set the humidity level. I have the temperature setting @77° and the humidity level @5. The auto setting using the Climateline doesn't work for me. I talked to my supplier and she told me that this time of the year, trying to get the humidity levels using auto is difficult. I loved my S8 but the S9 is what I have to work with now. I have searched the internet about the S9 and it seems that humidity levels are a issue. You need more humidity to help with the dry mouth. One more thing...inside and outside temperatures and humidity levels effect the "relative humidity" which the S9 and the ClimateLine works on so my settings may have to be adjusted to reflect that. Hope this helps and keep me/us posted on your progress. Maybe there is a better way. Good Luck..Dennis
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2013, 02:23 PM)dbrew4 Wrote: Hey jgolim,
I too am having issues with the S9 and H5i with dry mouth and stuffy nose. I have been using this unit ~a month and still playing with it to see what results I get. The last week it has been much better. Here is what I did. I disabled the auto setting on the ClimateLine tubing and went to manual (no rainout issues yet). This allowed me to set the humidity level. I have the temperature setting @77° and the humidity level @5. The auto setting using the Climateline doesn't work for me. I talked to my supplier and she told me that this time of the year, trying to get the humidity levels using auto is difficult. I loved my S8 but the S9 is what I have to work with now. I have searched the internet about the S9 and it seems that humidity levels are a issue. You need more humidity to help with the dry mouth. One more thing...inside and outside temperatures and humidity levels effect the "relative humidity" which the S9 and the ClimateLine works on so my settings may have to be adjusted to reflect that. Hope this helps and keep me/us posted on your progress. Maybe there is a better way. Good Luck..Dennis

Thanks Dennis,
I like to follow up on your suggestion but I have no idea how to change those settings. Besides reading out my sleep quality and mask type, there is not much I can change. So suggestion here would be welcome too.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed VP responds to Apnea Board member questions
[quote='SuperSleeper' pid='1534' dateline='1330637210']
[quote=Steven]I would like to echo SuperSleeper's sentiments in Post # 4 above.

I would also like to add that more & more the patient is deciding which machine to purchase & no longer just accepting whatever is being pushed by the DME and / or Sleep Doctor

I just came from the sleep doc and DME. I had to fight to get ResMed 9 auto set

They said they only deal in respironics and I said if they don't order me what I want I will go online and get it. So they said they will order it. My concern is that the DMEs RT won't know anything. I had to really push the doctor as well. We shall see what happens.
LukieSad
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey jgolim,
My suggestion would be to check this link out. Read what's there and watch the video. It should help understanding the S9. You will have to go into the "Clinician Setup" in order to access all the ClimateLine settings. It took me awhile until I understood what to do once I was in that menu. I also suggest you contact your machine supplier and ask them about your issues and ask someone there to walk you through the on how to get to the menu settings and what to do when you get there. It sounds like you need more humidity and the ClimateLine Auto setting just doesn't work that well...at least for me it hasn't. Good Luck..Dennis

http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup
Post Reply Post Reply
What I've noticed in my short time as part of the sleep apnea community is the complete lack of follow thru by the prescribing doctor/DME supplier.

Once you've passed your 30 day compliance period, sleep apnea is treated more like a once a year thing like a flu shot instead of an iterative back and forth fine tuning process between patient and physician.

People on this and other sites like it are the ones controlling their treatment, but only becase they've taken the time and trouble to search out how to do it. I personally know two other apnea patients who rarely, if ever, check their nightly results and have never considered adjusting anything from the way their machine was set up by the DME. Like me, they have had little to no further contact with their sleep doc to see how their treatment is going.

I understand that DMEs are only interested in moving "iron", as we used to say in the computer business, and so have little or no interest in how that "iron" is used once a sale is made.

Also, doctors in my experience seem to feel that a one night titration study is good enough to prescribe a long term treatment plan with little or no followup to see if it's actually working in the real world. This is the only medical treatment for a severe chronic condition I'm aware of that operates this way.

That's why these sites are essential to people who actually want to control their treatment, and this is why the firewall of DMEs manufacturers set up to preclude patients not in the know from adjusting their treatment needs to change. Even my sleep doc can't read my ResMed data card, seems satisfied with whatever data the DME chooses to pass on, and was surprised that I even knew about it.

Imagine being a diabetic using a blood glucose meter whose results can only be interpreted by sending the meter to a DME. This seems to be the treatment model sleep apnea patients are up against.
Post Reply Post Reply
By insisting on getting a ResMed I am forcing both my sleep doc and thr DME people to get familiar with other products. They only deal in the Phillips System one. They all seemed upset with my choice. But I'm the one who has to use it.
Post Reply Post Reply
You cannot go wrong with either ResMed S9 or Phillips Respironcis System One but make sure avoiding flogged a brick
Read here, machines choices and what machines to avoid
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Masks are most important, there are different types and style to choose from. Don,t be afraid to try as many as you like, good mask fit is essential for successful therapy
Post Reply Post Reply
I dont have a resmed

but i strongly disagree with the statement at the start of this post

my phillips bilevel model 50 is dead

i was blessed and amazed i was given a brand new FP sleep style 600

yes out dated and changes since

i hate a machine controlling my humidifier

my 50 and remstar humid with a insulating wrap was fantastic enough humidity every night

this thing calls up the but to FP a local supply repair shop

finally put my insulator over the hose and confused it now its great

it would not start till morn or whenever it felt like it on and on

i went through my 50 dying and lost control of its humid

at the start this was so dry now with the cover just have to set a alarm so i dont cook the tank

heated is great heated gets more water to the face

but when heated gets smart its a big problem in my book

humidity is not optional i have a fitlife fireman mask my nose wont stay moisturized anymore had to run the 50 no humid for 6 months

i am finally getting some of the moister problems in my face and eyes to go away

i also found interesting except for major mask adjusting i had no problem

going bi level to regular i adjusted that night and thats a pressure or 17.5

just hurts the head being tight so you dont get blowouts but hey i wont look good fortune and say bad it saved me my 5o was dying so bad i felt a 10 percent difference on the new
"You're only lonely if you're not there for you."
-- Phil McGraw
Well, I looked my demons in the eyes, laid bare my chest, said "Do your best, destroy me. You see, I've been to hell and back so many times, I must admit you kind of bore me."
- Ray LaMontagne
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='dbrew4' pid='49744' dateline='1384866313']
Hey jgolim,
My suggestion would be to check this link out. Read what's there and watch the video. It should help understanding the S9. You will have to go into the "Clinician Setup" in order to access all the ClimateLine settings. It took me awhile until I understood what to do once I was in that menu. I also suggest you contact your machine supplier and ask them about your issues and ask someone there to walk you through the on how to get to the menu settings and what to do when you get there. It sounds like you need more humidity and the ClimateLine Auto setting just doesn't work that well...at least for me it hasn't. Good Luck..Dennis

Thank you! I will try out changing the settings. Regards.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 5 131 4 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 144 5 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 226 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 144 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 243 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 199 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 747 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.