Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 Mask Settings for Nasal Pillows???
S9 Mask Settings for Nasal Pillows???
I have recently been trialing a nasal pillows mask, The Pilairo Q. I like the features of the mask but have not been successful yet. I did notice one thing having to do with the mask type settings.

With my Mirage Quattro and set at full face mask type, the transitions between my 16 cm EPAP and 20 cm IPAP are as smooth as silk. When I used the Pilairo Q with the mask type set for "pillows". the pressure transitions became rather sharp and abrupt.

Once I forgot to set the mask type back to full face when I went back to my Mirage Quattro. The pressure transitions were still sharp and abrupt and had my ffm doing mini pushups on my face. I corrected the setting and it became very smooth.

Out of curiosity, I tried the Pilairo Q with the type setting at full face and got very nice, smooth transitions.

Does anybody know why the full face setting gives me smooth transitions and the pillows setting does not? Can anyone think of any problems that might arise from using a nasal pillows mask with the full face mask type setting? I have not really thought it through but at face value this situation does not make a lot of sense to me.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: S9 Mask Settings for Nasal Pillows???
Payton -- it would be interesting if you could post some high rate pressure graphs zeroed in on a couple of cycles for the pillow setting.

Are you running with easybreathe on? Could your unit have switched rise time when you changed mask type settings? IIRC: Trise is grayed out with easybreathe turned on.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2015, 02:03 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Does anybody know why the full face setting gives me smooth transitions and the pillows setting does not?

I was ready to put forth a theory that the full face mask has a larger volume, providing an air plenum that acts like a shock absorber, but you eliminated that as a possibility.

With the PRS1 I know that dialing up a higher resistance setting (like you would do when switching from a FFM to small pillows, for example) simply lowers the pressure a bit.

I can't imagine what would be causing the effect you're experiencing. Have you altered the triggering and cycling settings from their default values? I'm just trying to think if these settings are somehow affected, because those are the settings that affect the transitions between IPAP and EPAP pressures and flow rates.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2015, 02:26 PM)justMongo Wrote: Payton -- it would be interesting if you could post some high rate pressure graphs zeroed in on a couple of cycles for the pillow setting.

Are you running with easybreathe on? Could your unit have switched rise time when you changed mask type settings? IIRC: Trise is grayed out with easybreathe turned on.

Bump2
I have Easybreathe turned on when operating in S mode. I am told that VPAP Auto mode automatically uses Easybreathe. I will check the rise time to see if it might be being changed when changing mask type settings.

Best Belated Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2015, 12:03 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(10-23-2015, 02:03 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Does anybody know why the full face setting gives me smooth transitions and the pillows setting does not?

I can't imagine what would be causing the effect you're experiencing. Have you altered the triggering and cycling settings from their default values? I'm just trying to think if these settings are somehow affected, because those are the settings that affect the transitions between IPAP and EPAP pressures and flow rates.

I have not changed the trigger or cycle settings. They are still set at factory default. I will check to see if one of them might change when changing the mask type setting. On occasion, one setting will affect another like Mongo mentioned Easybreathe affecting the Rise Time setting by greying it out and taking total control of the transition pressure change.

Belated Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
There are some very smart people on this forum and I was hoping I might get more opinions. I realize that not a lot of members have experience with the Resmed VPAP Auto or even Bilevel machines in general but I would be interested in hearing any guesses you folks might have even if you have never seen a VPAP Auto or something from your own experience with other equipment that might possibly transfer.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 10 16,947 8 hours ago
Last Post: DaveL
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 991 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,099 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 166 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,252 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,369 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 494 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.