Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 autoset and SD cards
RE: S9 autoset and SD cards
Like everyone else who have commented here, I guess I have been lucky. I have been removing my SD card weekly and returning it without unplugging my machine. I have not had a problem.
(08-20-2012, 12:01 PM)BabyDoc Wrote: Like everyone else who have commented here, I guess I have been lucky. I have been removing my SD card weekly and returning it without unplugging my machine. I have not had a problem.

Just because you have not yet had a problem does not mean that you won't someday.

In cases like this, I always defer to the manufacturer.
They know more than me what may or may not affect something.
(08-20-2012, 01:07 PM)StuUnderPressure Wrote:
(08-20-2012, 12:01 PM)BabyDoc Wrote: Like everyone else who have commented here, I guess I have been lucky. I have been removing my SD card weekly and returning it without unplugging my machine. I have not had a problem.

Just because you have not yet had a problem does not mean that you won't someday.

Look, I am not arguing with what the manufacturer says or what you are saying or doing. The manufacturer has to be extra cautious, allowing that people could make mistakes that could ruin the data. For example, if you pull out the card while the machine is running and recording data or you accidentaly turn on the machine, while pulling out the card, that could corrupt the data since the machine will be writing to the card. Would you intentionally turn on the machine while removing the card? Of course not. But it could happen. So, too, could an unlikely lightening strike cause data corruption if it occurred at the moment you were removing the card. If the machine is unplugged, none of these could happen. So that's what the manufacturer recommends. But with care, it shouldn't happen, even if it is left plugged in.
Like many of the above, I've hot swapped my card weekly for about a year with no issue. I guess there could be, but I'm too lazy to plug/unplug the machine each time. There really is no OFF.

One thing I've noticed in ResScan is if you make system configuration changes it warns you that all data on the card will be deleted. My insurance never required compliance conformation, so I've just ignored it. Once the data is saved in ResScan it is there.

Unless your computer hard drive crashes. But that is another story!
I remove the card every morning to download and never had such an issue keeping the machine plugged.
On occasion when put the card back ...the S9 wants to erase the data on the card to accept it.
No problem ...just let the S9 do her own thing Sleep-well
In practice, it doesn't seem to matter.

If you remove the card right after turning it off, you may lose some data for the current session. You don't have to wait very long to be "safe."

If you remove the card while the computer (PC or CPAP machine) is writing data, you can theoretically end up with missing data or even corrupting all the data on the card. The operating systems have gotten pretty good about avoiding this these days. In theory, you should "eject" or "safely remove" on Windows, but it doesn't really seem to matter that much.

Every so often, things do get screwed up even if you do things right. I think sometimes the manufacturers put in a lot of these warnings just so they can blame the customer if something goes wrong, even if it didn't have anything to do with it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.

You know Stu, in all fairness, you did ask a question and it was answered by several people. I really feel that the statement above is a bit argumentative given that your question was answered with no sort of rudeness or anything else. If you believe that we are all wrong and you "always" defer to the manufacturer, why ask in the first place? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm kinda tired of this attitude of "how do I" and then "You're all wet". Just a thought.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
(08-21-2012, 07:13 PM)mjbearit Wrote:

You know Stu, in all fairness, you did ask a question and it was answered by several people. I really feel that the statement above is a bit argumentative given that your question was answered with no sort of rudeness or anything else. If you believe that we are all wrong and you "always" defer to the manufacturer, why ask in the first place? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm kinda tired of this attitude of "how do I" and then "You're all wet". Just a thought.

Sorry, but you are totally wrong!!!!!

I never asked any question.

I merely responded in Post # 10 with an exact Quote from the ResMed Clinician Manual.

And in Post # 12, I merely gave my very humble opinion.

In the future, I will try to not post in any thread in which you also posted in the hopes of not offending you again.

Thanks everyone for participating in the discussion.

This thread is now closed for new replies.

Thanks for your understanding.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 110 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 116 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Data on 2 separate SD cards. Merge? eok361 21 878 12-11-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Compatible SD cards for ResMed AS11 suddenSomnolence 4 1,329 09-28-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Philips Respironics Bipap Auto SV, cards and settings SenatorBirch 3 541 05-01-2023, 06:58 PM
  autoset vs autoset for her on airsense 11? Uzupan 7 1,385 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
  S10 Autoset or S11 Autoset? The Latinist 3 1,862 02-01-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: tomtiki

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.