Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

S9 humidifier "Warm up"
How long does it take the humidifier to warm up when using that option?

I've tried it a few times in the past week and it is taking forever (and I am not patient). I give up and when I put them mask on and hit the "on" button, I get that hot smell like when the tank runs out of water, even though the tub is full. Then I start sneezing.

What I am trying to do is not have cold air blowing into my sensitive throat right away. I eventually get used to it but right now, when I first lay down, I can't take a deep breath or I have a coughing fit. I had hoped the warm up option would fix that.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-10-2014 05:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Tez62 Offline

Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: S9 humidifier "Warm up"
PaulaO2, I was told about 10 minutes, you may have to try heating it 30 mins before you want to go to sleep or get someone to look at the humidifier.
01-10-2014 05:12 PM
Lukie Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: Airfit F 10
Humidifier: H I heated tubing resmed
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Masks: Simplus, Air, Quattro fx, Nano, Eson, Swift fx and Activ

Sex: Female

(01-10-2014 05:08 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  How long does it take the humidifier to warm up when using that option?

I've tried it a few times in the past week and it is taking forever (and I am not patient). I give up and when I put them mask on and hit the "on" button, I get that hot smell like when the tank runs out of water, even though the tub is full. Then I start sneezing.

What I am trying to do is not have cold air blowing into my sensitive throat right away. I eventually get used to it but right now, when I first lay down, I can't take a deep breath or I have a coughing fit. I had hoped the warm up option would fix that.

Paula, I have the same issue. I sometimes try to press the warm up button a few minutes before I get into bed and put on my mask. It really work then. "A watched pot never boils" ;-)http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
01-10-2014 06:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset

Heh, probably.

I'll turn it on first then get everything ready. Maybe by then it will be done. I'm hoping by then the smell is gone, too. I think it's just the hot plate getting hot and the heat not yet being dispersed by the tub. I still have the humidifier turned on 84. I have to get up to eat and take the antibiotic at 5 so I just refill the tank then. So it has worked out having it that high.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-10-2014 07:43 PM
Bladskinner Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed 9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Q
Humidifier: Resumed H5 (disttilled) top up ,dish soap
CPAP Pressure: 11

Other Comments:

(01-10-2014 07:43 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Heh, probably.

I'll turn it on first then get everything ready. Maybe by then it will be done. I'm hoping by then the smell is gone, too. I think it's just the hot plate getting hot and the heat not yet being dispersed by the tub. I still have the humidifier turned on 84. I have to get up to eat and take the antibiotic at 5 so I just refill the tank then. So it has worked out having it that high.

Maybe try then climate control hose with the power hook up.
01-11-2014 12:10 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Not sure what you mean. I am using the Climateline.

I did notice that when I use the "warm up" feature, the Climateline hose is noticeably warm to the touch. One night when it was ghastly cold (went to -8 here), I actually snuggled with it to go to sleep.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-11-2014 12:41 AM
Bladskinner Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed 9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Q
Humidifier: Resumed H5 (disttilled) top up ,dish soap
CPAP Pressure: 11

Other Comments:

(01-11-2014 12:41 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Not sure what you mean. I am using the Climateline.

I did notice that when I use the "warm up" feature, the Climateline hose is noticeably warm to the touch. One night when it was ghastly cold (went to -8 here), I actually snuggled with it to go to sleep.

Thats what I meant Climateline. I wish they had gave me one.
Does it help with dry mouth?
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014 01:10 AM by Bladskinner.)
01-11-2014 01:08 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Quote:Thats what I meant Climateline. I wish they had gave me one.
Does it help with dry mouth?

you can ask your doctor to write a script for the climateline tubing. I started out with a climateline tubing so I don't know what it is like to not have one and how it helps with dry mouth, etc. I am sure someone else here can answer that for you. in the meantime, ask your doctor for a script for one (at least Apria told me that they had to have a script if my doctor wanted me to have a climateline tube).
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014 04:11 AM by me50.)
01-11-2014 04:10 AM
drgrimes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 Resmed Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Philips Dreamwear
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Paula, I have never noticed any smell from the humidifier. Is it possible that something has gotten on the heating plate that gets cooked a bit when heating up? Odd, but a few times I have started sneezing right after putting my mask on. Never thought it might be the machine. I am plagued with allergies.

Also Paula, I keep reading references about temperature settings and I don't see this. Is this a function of the heated hose or am I missing something. Sometimes my air feels quite cool.
01-11-2014 11:46 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Bladskinner, all the Climateline is for is to prevent Rainout. It heats up the hose to about the same as the air from the humidifier so condensation doesn't form. It wouldn't help with dry mouth any more than the humidifier alone.

drgrimes, when the Climateline is properly seated, the humidifier icon is both a temperature gauge and a water droplet. This is the "auto" setting. When you turn the knob to set it, it is a temperature setting of 67 to 87 I think. If it is set to "manual", then it is two settings, the temp and the water drop.

If the Climateline is not properly seated, then it is just the usual water drop.

Oh, and as for the smell, I have always smelled it when the tub runs out of water. Sometimes it just smells like something hot but usually it is almost like ammonia. If I sleep through it, I wake up sneezing my head off. I have found that a nasal rinse will "fix" that most of the time. Else i will sneeze all day.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-11-2014 04:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Beginning use with H5i humidifier Lanco 27 863 Yesterday 02:59 PM
Last Post: Lanco
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 434 12-06-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  Breath too warm when exhaling Stevie1under 5 264 11-15-2016 01:12 AM
Last Post: Stevie1under
  Gunk and grit in humidifier. MrEGuy 11 518 11-07-2016 12:49 AM
Last Post: cands
  [Equipment] Resmed S10 Autoset Humidifier question keithb4158 6 393 11-02-2016 05:13 AM
Last Post: keithb4158
  Dreamstation heated tube/humidifier initial settings. NorthernGuy 9 742 10-28-2016 09:21 AM
Last Post: Perchas
  [CPAP] Humidifier texasbluedevil69 13 500 10-28-2016 06:58 AM
Last Post: texasbluedevil69