Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New to Cpap need advice
RE: New to Cpap need advice
The Escape is a good machine. It will not give you data from your therapy, but that may not bother you.
The climate line is a good investment- it may help your dry mouth. There is also a line of dental products for dry mouth- Biotene.
One remedy for leaks is the old tried and true use of silicone ear plugs (usually macks, store band is fine)- soften them in your hands (start with three), roll into a string the diameter of a pillow and place around perimeter of mask where it contacts the face.
Good luck, thanks for posting, keep us informed on how you're doing please.
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
(12-10-2012, 12:01 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: Welcome

With the Quattro FX it's really important to make sure the mask cushion is squeaky clean and free of oil. It also helps to wash your face right before bed (I also shave at night now). If your getting leaks at the nose keep this in mind: sometimes it helps to loosen the bottom end of the mask a little rather than tighten the top part.

A lot of people prefer the nasal pillows or a nasal mask and use a chinstrap. The chin strap should help, but might take a little time to adjust and get used to. 14cm shouldn't be too high a pressure, but you can check the mask specs on the manufacturer websites and posters here that use nasal pillows or nasal masks can give suggestions.

As for the ClimateLine, I would strongly recommend it. I use one with my humidity set at 6 and hose temp. at 86 deg. and have never had rainout.

I'm not sure about the CPAP pillow. I use one that I got from an online supplier for a penny when I bought other stuff. It's OK, but I wouldn't have paid $30 or $50 for it.

Sleep-well
Thanks for advice. Washed my face well last 2 nights and it has been better. Not perfect but much better and my suppler has agreed to get me a Mirage Quattro to try, also have a friend that has a used nasal mask that I can try with a chin strap to see if that is a possibility. Definitely looking up. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2012, 11:03 AM)lilfarm Wrote: Was told however that my pressure may be to high to use with a nasal pillow.

Health professionals make this claim but it contradicts the manufacturer's claims. Moreover, I've never seen anyone report that nasal pillows come popping out of their nose at high pressures.

Quote:At this point my insurance won't by more mask (was told they will by one every 3 months).

Your DME (equipment provider) probably has in place a policy that allows you to switch out masks more often than that during the first month.

As to your choice of machine, it's very unfortunate that DME's stick unsuspecting patients with these S9 Escape models that don't record any useful data. Better machines are now available for just a few dollars more.

You should call your DME and tell them you're returning the machine for a refund. If they won't give you at least the S9 Elite, or better yet the S9 Autoset, tell them you'll take your business elsewhere.

The S9 Escape is a brick. Very few people here will recommend that as a useful machine. The vast consensus is that you need a fully data-capable machine so that you can evaluate the effectiveness of your therapy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2012, 04:44 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Moreover, I've never seen anyone report that nasal pillows come popping out of their nose at high pressures.
Dielaughing This gave me such a visual of pillows flying across the room from the nose that I may not be able to sleep if I can't stop thinking about it! Too-funny

Thanks for that!

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
I did mean Bella LOOPS, sorry!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2012, 02:41 PM)ImReallyTired Wrote: For what it's worth....

I'm using the Resmed Mirage Quattro, I know alot of people really like that mask, but no matter how hard I try I can't seem to stop the leaks once the pressure hits around 15 or more.

The ResMed Gecko nasal pad will fix leaks around the nose and eyes, if that is where your leaks were.
I think most insurance will cover it.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 173 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,527 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 328 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 464 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 286 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,026 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 187 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.