Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 making noise
S9 making noise
Hi Folks,

My one and a half month old S9 is starting to get loud.
It is making a whooshing noise on inhale and it started to make a low whistling noise on exhale. Sort of like a morning dove! (low whistling sound)

It started out on my nightstand, ended up on the floor and last night I shoved it far under my bed to get some quiet. I even have a white noise machine.

I disconnected the Humidifier unit and plugged my hose directly into the S9, same noise.

Time to return it and get a new unit?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: S9 making noise
Have you checked the filter? Is the EPR turned on? Oh, and have you checked to hose for any leaks?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2013, 08:05 AM)PollCat Wrote: Have you checked the filter? Is the EPR turned on? Oh, and have you checked to hose for any leaks?

Just replaced the filter, (noise still there) EPR has not changed (on level 1) will check the hose. Are they that fragile? Just over a month old?
Post Reply Post Reply
The hoses are not *that* fragile, but just like any hose, if it gets kinked it has a great starting point for a leak. If the hose isn't the issue and you've already eliminated the humidifier as the source, then perhaps you will need to have your DME check it out...could be a seal within the unit itself isn't holding up (was your S9 put together on a Friday or Monday? Big Grin )
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, read this thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Resmed-S9 - it may help you with your noise problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Its common complaint with the S9, luck of the draw ... not all the S9 are affected with the noise and some are louder than others
From what have read, there is no remedy to fix the noise, its something to do with tooling, It,ll cost ResMed millions of dollars to fix the problem but they are not going to do that or recall the affected machines
ResMed had a recall for the S8 ... form memory its for electrical problem

ResMed won some design award for the S9 in 2010, don,t think they might won this award if the facts of noise issues were known

My advice, if the noise is loud enough to disturb you, ask for replacement, some people had the motor replaced and they still had the problem

Other than the noise complaint, S9 is great machine but ResMed is lousy Australian company adament to rip-off Australian users ... shame on them

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Zonk, also you don't want to have it on the floor or under your bed as it will pick up dust, you want it back on your nightstand around head high level, time to return it quickly and get a quiet one, mine doesn't make a sound, the only thing I sometimes hear is my breathing which is quiet a nice noise
Post Reply Post Reply
If the noise is still there with a new filter and without the humidifier, yeah, take it back. If it is loud enough to keep you awake, definitely take it back. Explain what you did to try and eliminate the noise. If they refuse, mention the better business bureau.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Since it is so new, I would take it back.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Ohhh, I didn't realize that S9's had a noise problem. I'm really lucky mine is nice and quiet, especially since I bought the thing on Craigslist.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 595 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,294 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 147 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 589 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.