Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 making noise
RE: S9 making noise
(09-06-2013, 07:58 PM)awakeiam Wrote: Ohhh, I didn't realize that S9's had a noise problem. I'm really lucky mine is nice and quiet, especially since I bought the thing on Craigslist.
Hi awakeiam,
Not all of them have noise problems. Both my backup and newest machines have a whistle on the breathing out but it's not enough to bother me. It's good that your machine is quiet
Oh by the way, WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It was dead silent when new, just getting wheezy!!!

Monday I'll call the DME and talk about a replacement.
Post Reply Post Reply
To ask a silly question - you sure its the machine and not the mask where the noise is coming from?
Regardless - with a new machine, barely settled in - take it back for a new one - forget repairs!

Oh, and I third Zonks comments
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I walked into my DME this morning and told her of the noise. I demonstrated it for her and she said she would swap it out.

She came out with another unit and set it up. She said try it and went to great her next customer.
As she was out I checked the S/N. Unit made in 2012. (same as my current unit)
Checked the software and it showed 905....my first unit had 907.
Worst of all the replacement unit whistled on exhale like my original one!

When she came back in, I told her it did the same thing and told her I would like a newer unit with the latest software. She looked confused and I showed her how to determine date with S/N and check software version in menu. She said she learned something new and got me a newer unit made this year with 907 software!

Best of all the new unit is quiet!!

Happy so far and she told me if any problems, just come back in.
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the noises my S9 made, a whistling, I was able to determine occurred whenever I had excessive rain-out and a wet mask.

I recorded my S9 overnight and came up with the following:

Normal operation:
.txt   S9 Normal2.txt (Size: 68.92 KB / Downloads: 280)

Brief wavering, early in the night. I don't know if it repeated later.
.txt   S9 noise1.txt (Size: 45.61 KB / Downloads: 261)

Higher pitched noise on breathing out that got worse as the night progressed and stopped (at least for a while) when I turned the machine off and then on again.
.txt   S9 Noise2.txt (Size: 62.76 KB / Downloads: 313)

I was unable to post MP3 files so I posted these recordings as text (TXT) files. To listen to them, you will have to change the file extensions back to MP3 after downloading them.

I was unable to get a recording of the wet mask whistling that night, so that's not included here.

Even making these noises the S9 is quieter than the Respironics unit I tried recently and both are quieter than my older Respironics.
Post Reply Post Reply
They may be quieter, but the constant sound of breathing or a motor can be considered "white" noise, the whistle is truly annoying. I can't even get my DME to call me back. I've called and left messages with the receptionist for the past 4 days. Told her yesterday that if I didn't receive a call back, I was driving up their Monday...I guess they really are "Craprea".
Post Reply Post Reply
It is that very decision I am trying to make. The whistle is annoying but the S9 I currently have is so much quieter, even with its whistle, than the Philips/Respironics 560 APAP I tried that it is the lesser of two evils for me.

The whistle on my machine isn't as obvious as the one that DreamDiver mentions in post 95 of the other thread, S9 AutoSet - Noise at the breathing out!. [I cannot yet link to it.]

I am concerned that, if I try to get a better S9 that I will only get a worse one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kritiker,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully, you can get a quieter S9AutoSet.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: S9 making noise - whistle on exhale - it IS the unit itself
Here is a summary of what I have learned about the S9 (AutoSet, S/W 0907, from brand new to 160 hours) whistle-on-exhale problem in the last few days, from this board and from my own limited observations (marked with #):
  • not all S9s have it
  • some S9s have it worse than others
  • it occurs with different mask and hose types #
  • it occurs with and without the H5i humidifier #
  • it occurs with or without the filter - dirty, clean or missing #
  • it occurs with no humidifier, no mask and no filter, just breathing into the air outlet – but is difficult to hear – so not terribly useful as a test. #
  • it occurs with and without using the ramp feature #
  • it occurs in both APAP (4-20 & 10-20) and CPAP (12) modes #
  • It occurs at all CPAP pressures from 4 to 20 - very quiet at 4 and 5, then gets louder at higher pressures #
  • occurs with both EPR set on and off #
  • some people can live with the whistle and some can't
  • somepeople can hear it and some can’t
  • some machines don't have the whistle and never get it
  • some machines start out quiet and develop the whistle
  • some machines start with a quiet whistle which gets worse
  • whistle may be present only some of the time and/or get better or worse (in my case) as the night progresses.
  • I have seen one report of a whistle that disappeared
  • the whistle seems to travel up the hose to the mask. I got a second, younger, listener to confirm that the whistle came from the machine and not from the mask. #
  • other whistles can also be caused by any number of things apparently, including dirty filters, mask/hose leaks, poor seals etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: S9 making noise - whistle on exhale - it IS the unit itself
(09-22-2013, 01:38 PM)Kritiker Wrote: Here is a summary of what I have learned about the S9 (AutoSet, S/W 0907, from brand new to 160 hours) whistle-on-exhale problem in the last few days, from this board and from my own limited observations (marked with #):
  • not all S9s have it
  • some S9s have it worse than others
  • it occurs with different mask and hose types #
  • it occurs with and without the H5i humidifier #
  • it occurs with or without the filter - dirty, clean or missing #
  • it occurs with no humidifier, no mask and no filter, just breathing into the air outlet – but is difficult to hear – so not terribly useful as a test. #
  • it occurs with and without using the ramp feature #
  • it occurs in both APAP (4-20 & 10-20) and CPAP (12) modes #
  • It occurs at all CPAP pressures from 4 to 20 - very quiet at 4 and 5, then gets louder at higher pressures #
  • occurs with both EPR set on and off #
  • some people can live with the whistle and some can't
  • somepeople can hear it and some can’t
  • some machines don't have the whistle and never get it
  • some machines start out quiet and develop the whistle
  • some machines start with a quiet whistle which gets worse
  • whistle may be present only some of the time and/or get better or worse (in my case) as the night progresses.
  • I have seen one report of a whistle that disappeared
  • the whistle seems to travel up the hose to the mask. I got a second, younger, listener to confirm that the whistle came from the machine and not from the mask. #
  • other whistles can also be caused by any number of things apparently, including dirty filters, mask/hose leaks, poor seals etc.

If I remember correctly, one member said his S9 machine only whistles while in a certain pressure range. During the Ramp time, the machine will start ramping silently and later a slight whistle will start, and later still will stop while continuing to ramp up. The whistle does not reoccur until the next time the machine is in a pressure range part way through its ramp.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 595 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,303 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 147 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,605 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 589 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.