Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 pressure setting
S9 pressure setting
New to the forum! Have used my machine off and on for a couple of years, never more frequently for a week or so at a time, and have had a handful of times where I haven't woken in the middle of the night unable to breathe and just ripped it off for the night. What can I do to make the machine usable for me? I have a full face mask, but am a nose breather, so don't know if switching masks will help. Any suggestions/comments/questions would be very welcome!!!

I have lost about 30 lbs since initially getting the machine, and have a goal of losing maybe 30 more to get to an optimal healthy weight, and apnea (according to wife) is much better.
When I say unable to breathe, I mean it feels lo ice I'm suffocating. It seems OK during ramp up, but can only go a short time after falling asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: S9 pressure setting
(01-03-2014, 01:25 AM)freelovew1 Wrote: What can I do to make the machine usable for me? I have a full face mask, but am a nose breather, so don't know if switching masks will help. Any suggestions/comments/questions would be very welcome!!!
Understand sleep disordered breathing (SDB): http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._%28SDB%29

Yes if you,re not mouth breather, switching to nasal mask would help, personally I find full face mask claustrophobic

Whats the model of your machine (model name printed next to on/off button) and get the clinical manual so you know the ins and out of the machine. The manual available via email (section three) http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
S9 setup http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Here how to avoid some of the problems (some you have described)
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi freelovew1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Don't be shy about trying different masks.
You might consider switching to a nasal mask and see if that helps you.
You should really try to get to where you are using your CPAP machine every time you sleep so your body can truly get use to it. What you might try to do is to set up and use your mask and machine while you read or watch tv during the evening.
CONGRATULATIONS ! on the weight loss.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm new to this too and share your claustrophobic feeling with the full face mask. After a month, I switched to the Respironics Wisp nasal mask and found it a lot less of a "presence." The Wisp harness does not have to be nearly as tight as the ffm because it is almost leak proof!

I am having a struggle with keeping my mouth shut but will continue to work on it because I really don't want to go back to the ffm. I gather you are not a mouth breather so you should be good to go with the nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk

Great video on sleep apnea it really explains everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk ~

Really interesting video you posted and a thorough explanation. I've had my cpap for over 3 years and never have had an explanation like that about sleep apnea. All I can remember about my diagnosis is that the sleep doctor said I quit breathing hundreds of times during the sleep study. No wonder my husband complained about my snoring. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
The video presentation is must see for all newbies .Thanks to Apnea Board wiki dedicated team of editors in sourcing such excellent materials
Great-info

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice. Ok, a little more info. I have the resmed S9 escape with humidifier, and quattro FX face mask. I have not done a full sleep study, just one at home with finger clip and nose sensors.
I have all the manuals, so going to do some reading tonight, and check out the links. Any hints where to find a compatible nose mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
Just watched the video. My wife says the actual apnea is much better after weight loss, but I still snore badly, usually when on my back (more of a stomach sleeper). After watching I definitely want to get this where I'm using the machine regularly. Still wake up with extreme fatigue, and the wife knows not to talk to me in the mornings.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2014, 10:29 PM)freelovew1 Wrote: Thanks for the advice. Ok, a little more info. I have the resmed S9 escape with humidifier, and quattro FX face mask. I have not done a full sleep study, just one at home with finger clip and nose sensors.
I have all the manuals, so going to do some reading tonight, and check out the links. Any hints where to find a compatible nose mask?
The Escape is not going to tell you more than how many hours using the machine each night.
Machines choices and what machines to avoid
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices

Mask is individual thing, comes down whether you,re comfortable with full face mask or nasal pillows/nasal mask ... everyone is different

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 148 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 424 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 382 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 2,996 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 512 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.