Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 questions
S9 questions
Two questions,
First, did RESMED really intentionally release the S9 with the "whistle" on exhale defect?

Second, I use a nasal mask, and have for almost 35 years. I prefer to have CPAP vs APAP delivery to my mask. How do I set that up on my S9?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: S9 questions
Welcome bigfish, there shouldn't really be a whistle sound, I can hear the echo of my breathing but I have got used to that. You are really defeating the purpose of the comfort of an autoset but you would set your high and low pressures the same to get the effect of a straight CPAP. You can get the CPAP set up manual from the link at the top of the page. Hope that helps and good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used 2 Resmed S9's and neither have ever whistled. What kind of mask specifically are you using? From what I have been reading, the issue with the whistling turned out to be a mask issue and not the S9.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2013, 12:58 AM)bigfish Wrote: Two questions,
First, did RESMED really intentionally release the S9 with the "whistle" on exhale defect?

Second, I use a nasal mask, and have for almost 35 years. I prefer to have CPAP vs APAP delivery to my mask. How do I set that up on my S9?
Hi bigfish and welcome aboard
wow 35 years, you must be one of the longest CPAP users ... Congrats
Mine does whistle, the whistle on exhale is very common and Resmed knows about it, they might fix the problem with the next upcoming S10

S9 setup instructions and video http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

The clinical manual available via email (scroll down to section three)
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Whats the model of your S9, model name printed next to on/off button
Anything but Escape model is good machine

Edit: Luck of the draw, not all machines are affected by the motor whining noise and some more affected than others
Also some machines are affected by the clicking noise from the humidifier every few seconds

Post Reply Post Reply
I used an S9 Autoset for around 20 months before switching to another machine. The S9 was very quiet with no whistling sound whatsoever.

Is returning the machine for a non whistling S9 a possibility?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bigfish,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Both my Resmed machines whistle but it's not enough of a bother to me to be concerned with.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I know this whistling subject has been brought up before on the board. I am in the whistle club, but like trish, it is very minor and doesn't bother me. Apparently not all machines do this.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, all , for responding. It's interesting to hear that some machines whistle, and others don't.
Post Reply Post Reply
Air is flowing. Noise is to be expected. However it is not going to be loud on an S9. Please try to ignore it.

If you feel the sound it makes is abnormal, please record a sample for us to hear...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, bigfish,

Sorry your ResMed S9 is whistling. That has to be distracting. Maybe you should take it back to the supplier and ask them to listen to it while you breathe in and out. Maybe there is something wrong with your machine and they might be able to fix it or exchange it. Maybe not, but it would be worth a try.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,594 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.