Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to forum
RE: New to forum
Hi again Roxy, CONGRATULATIONS on keeping your mask on for 7 hours, that's good to hear. CONTINUED SUCCESS.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It's very common to have to try several different masks before getting one that fits well. Because of this most insurance companies and equipment suppliers have generous replacement policies. Especially for new patients.

Have you tried a nasal mask or nasal pillows? Usually they are more comfortable and easier to fit. Of course, if you're a mouth-breather you may have to stay with the full face mask and just try a different brand or style. You may be able to tolerate a nasal mask if you wear a chinstrap to help keep your mouth closed. There are also hybrid masks with separate sections for your your mouth and nose. Lots of choices. It's trial and error finding what works for you. It sounds like you are tolerating your current mask ok and may just need more time to get used to it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you use the nasal pillow with pressures in th 14 range?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2012, 08:30 PM)Roxy Wrote: Could you use the nasal pillow with pressures in th 14 range?
Some people can use nasal pillows at 14 and higher but I cannot stand anything sticking up my nose.
Everyone is different. The Mirage FX nasal mask is very small and light. I use Activa LT nasal mask with a chinstrap.
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/mirage...c=patients

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Roxy, WELCOME! to the forum
It took me only a few weeks to realize a difference in the way I felt and only a few days to get use to using a mask it is different for us all but you are not alone there are people here that will help you learn as we all have to do I don't sleep 8 hours a night as I would like but it is a lot better after CPAP that before stay with it and it will improve your day to day life.
Sleep-well

Difficulties mastered are opportunities won.
Winston Churchill
Post Reply Post Reply
I already have found that the last few days I woke without a headache. I am still tired in the morning but seem to have a bit more energy. I hope that this is a sign that my body is happy with the cpap machine. The dme will allow me to switchnto a different mask for 30 days. I guess that I will give it a few more days with this mask. In the winter, I tend to get lots of upper respiratory infections and have trouble breathing through my nose whic is why I am Leary about using a nasal pillow. I don't think that my insurance company would pay for two masks. I am wondering if it is worth paying for one out of pocket. Luckily, I will not have any out of pocket for the machine or liners
Post Reply Post Reply
Roxy Wrote:
I don't think that my insurance company would pay for two masks. I am wondering if it is worth paying for one out of pocket.

I have had to buy a few things out of pocket ,I got most from one of the places on the Suppliers List, there are several of them, only took a few days to fill my order.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I will look at the list
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2012, 09:03 PM)Roxy Wrote: In the winter, I tend to get lots of upper respiratory infections and have trouble breathing through my nose whic is why I am Leary about using a nasal pillow. I don't think that my insurance company would pay for two masks.

If your insurance company follows the Medicare replacement schedule, as most do, they'll give you a new mask every 3 months, and allow you to switch masks every 6 months. Masks last longer than 3 months, so you'll have at least one spare on hand by the winter comes around.

I've found that the nasal pillows actually help with my congestion. They keep the passage ways clear at night. I also use the NeilMed sinus rinse kit whenever I have congestion. It works great and can be found in any drug store for about $10.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2012, 09:03 PM)Roxy Wrote: I don't think that my insurance company would pay for two masks. I am wondering if it is worth paying for one out of pocket. Luckily, I will not have any out of pocket for the machine or liners
You don,t have to buy a new mask just exchange it as its allowed within 30 days.
Whats your leak? Full face masks tend to be more difficult to maintain a seal than nasal or nasal pillows masks.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 233 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 172 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 659 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,567 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,731 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Thank to the forum search and all those you went before. CPAP machine. quiescence at last 1 493 04-13-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Arrow [Admin Note] MASTER DIRECTORY of Apnea Board forum resources SuperSleeper 0 7,564 11-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.