Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SD Card Extension
RE: SD Card Extension
Since CPAPs don't have a soft disconnect (screen prompt), I would hazard a guess that when you press the On/Off switch, it signals a final write to the SD.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2017, 11:01 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote:
(02-06-2017, 10:04 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Newbee2016,
This applies even if you’re not actually using the device at the time.

The reason is because operating systems use a process called write caching. The operating system doesn’t always write a file to a drive immediately, but instead caches it and waits until it has multiple write operations to complete.

Doing these all at once improves performance, but if the cache is still full when you remove the drive, your data will become corrupted. Clicking the Eject button causes the cache to be emptied and any remaining data to be written to the drive.

That’s the reason why there’s often a delay of several seconds between ejecting the drive and being notified that it’s safe to remove it.

There are also potential issues with the abrupt removal of the power supply from a flash drive. Flash memory is susceptible to this, and it can cause parts of the drive to become corrupt.

I hope this may help.

ok!

Now I wonder if the PR machine uses this method of write caching as well, or writes the data progressively as it is generated while in use. 

For a safe bet, if, say I've woken up for the morning, and switched the machine off at the wall for the day, I'm sure any writing would have ceased and it ought to be safe to remove the SD Card from the extension slot. Thereafter do what I will with the SD Card and re-insert it back into the extension slot in readiness for the night's usage, when I would turn the power on again. 

As it is, I would on/off the machine everyday. Just that I would move the SD Card to / from the machine when the machine is still on. I could change this part and move the SD Card to/ from the extension when the power supply is off - as added precaution against damaging the SD Card.  Thinking-about

Depending on the OS you are using you should be able to tell the card not to cache data on the PC, that will avoid corrupting the card with an unsafe removal. I've had to do this with USB drives and sticks in the past as well.

My PRS1 760 has a screen that flashes something like "Do not remove card writing data" when you tuen it on, I never really looked after I woke up as it's on the bedside, and by the time i get the P10 off I presume it's done.

Hope that helps.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2017, 01:04 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(02-06-2017, 11:01 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote:
(02-06-2017, 10:04 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Newbee2016,
This applies even if you’re not actually using the device at the time.

The reason is because operating systems use a process called write caching. The operating system doesn’t always write a file to a drive immediately, but instead caches it and waits until it has multiple write operations to complete.

Doing these all at once improves performance, but if the cache is still full when you remove the drive, your data will become corrupted. Clicking the Eject button causes the cache to be emptied and any remaining data to be written to the drive.

That’s the reason why there’s often a delay of several seconds between ejecting the drive and being notified that it’s safe to remove it.

There are also potential issues with the abrupt removal of the power supply from a flash drive. Flash memory is susceptible to this, and it can cause parts of the drive to become corrupt.

I hope this may help.

ok!

Now I wonder if the PR machine uses this method of write caching as well, or writes the data progressively as it is generated while in use. 

For a safe bet, if, say I've woken up for the morning, and switched the machine off at the wall for the day, I'm sure any writing would have ceased and it ought to be safe to remove the SD Card from the extension slot. Thereafter do what I will with the SD Card and re-insert it back into the extension slot in readiness for the night's usage, when I would turn the power on again. 

As it is, I would on/off the machine everyday. Just that I would move the SD Card to / from the machine when the machine is still on. I could change this part and move the SD Card to/ from the extension when the power supply is off - as added precaution against damaging the SD Card.  Thinking-about

Depending on the OS you are using you should be able to tell the card not to cache data on the PC, that will avoid corrupting the card with an unsafe removal. I've had to do this with USB drives and sticks in the past as well.

My PRS1 760 has a screen that flashes something like "Do not remove card writing data" when you tuen it on, I never really looked after I woke up as it's on the bedside, and by the time i get the P10 off I presume it's done.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! 

Anyway it's a US$3.54 alternative with free shipping from <link to dealextreme removed> if anyone is interested.

-----
-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 921 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  CPAP, tent camping & extension cords? chrisiscitrus 13 3,380 05-02-2021, 08:18 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?" MAPnea 41 50,867 04-29-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Scobber
  Recommendation on extension cord for international use vroomvroom 4 1,929 05-02-2019, 09:13 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Short tube extension increasing my AHI yankees123 9 1,592 03-22-2019, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Stom
  Extension Cords yenobstev 9 3,106 02-24-2017, 08:42 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Downloading data to SD card of Resmed for nights that SD card not in ResMed machine Robert6 8 9,326 06-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Last Post: estgad

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.