Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SD Card Extension
RE: SD Card Extension
(01-13-2017, 03:38 PM)Jimsp1 Wrote: I was also was concerned that the daily removal of the SD card from my DreamStation might cause undo wear on the the SD socket. Since things have stabilized fairly well for me I only pull the SD card about once a week to download the data to Sleepyhead. Daily I rely on the bluetooth transfer of the data to the DreamMapper app on my inexpensive Android type smart-phone. It shows if there were any large leaks and gives a breakdown of my AHI. If something seems to be way off I will then download data to Sleepyhead from the SD card.

Aren't you able to use bluetooth to get the data to sleepyhead? Just wondering. The bluetooth option for the system one is quite cheap these days which is why I ask.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the Toshiba FlashAir W-03 (8GB).

All you need to do is edit a file on the card, add your wifi network name and password, and the card will connect to your existing network.

Something like:

============
APPMODE=5
APPSSID=Wifi SSID
APPNETWORKKEY=Wifi SSID_Password
=============

APPMODE=4 would mean Access Point mode, where the card creates its own wifi access point. APPMODE=5 is Station Mode, when the card joins an existing wifi network.

See https://flashair-developers.com/en/docum...pi/config/ for all the settings
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2017, 04:01 PM)tedgreen Wrote: I have the Toshiba FlashAir W-03 (8GB).

All you need to do is edit a file on the card, add your wifi network name and password, and the card will connect to your existing network.

Something like:

============
APPMODE=5
APPSSID=Wifi SSID
APPNETWORKKEY=Wifi SSID_Password
=============

APPMODE=4 would mean Access Point mode, where the card creates its own wifi access point. APPMODE=5 is Station Mode, when the card joins an existing wifi network.

See https://flashair-developers.com/en/docum...pi/config/ for all the settings

I am relying on memory here of the prior thread which I had started, and done, and tested, I listed it here but didn't read it all over again. At that time there was no Station Mode. There was a pass through Internet and an Access Point. You had to keep connecting and disconnecting to get the data, even the pass through was pretty much junk iirc. That was the reason we needed the Jack_Russell thing at the time. From what you said now, and a brief Google check it appears that is no longer the case. It appears now the card can join the network as it should have and be shared across the network. If that is the case, and it works as I just saw it pictured that would be most excellent. It says there is a specific rev of firmware or higher that is needed as well, and so I must go find my card and check it out to see if my card supports this, or if I need a new card. Either way, great news, it appears my information may well be outdated and I'm happy you corrected me. I'm also going to be happy if it works, that would be very nice indeed. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Galactus,
Both the W-02 and W-03 can act as a device on an existing WiFi network (Station Mode). You have the choice of having an IP assigned by a DHCP server or assign a static IP to the card. Basically the only difference between the W-02 and W-03 is the W-02 will search for a network connection only at startup. The W-03 has the ability to reestablish a connection anytime it's lost.

I hope this may help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It does work perfectly fine with my Resmed Airsense 10 machine, and FlashPAP.

1) My FlashAir card is configured to get a fixed IP address assigned by my router, and stays connected to my wifi network.

2) FlashPAP uses the fixed internal IP address to fetch the data from the card, and copies automatically the relevant files in a folder on my PC.
Note that files are also accessible through a web interface (by just typing the card IP address in a web browser), or through webdav (basically typing the IP address in the Windows file explorer, and explore the files as usual).

3) Finally, Sleepyhead imports data from that local folder.

Because of the webdav interface, it may be possible for Sleepyhead to directly fetch data from the FlashAir card, and bypass the FlashPAP tool, but I haven't tried this.

I haven't had any issues with that setup for several months, and the card does not get warm either.

I believe Toshiba have a tool to upgrade the firmware on the FlashAir cards, but they haven't released new firmware for several years.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape,
When I joined back in 2014 no one was able to do that. We had to constantly switch back and forth between our connected wifi and the Flashair to make it work. It was quite obnoxious. I don't know when this option became available but I'm really happy to see it. If you say it works on the 02 as well I can't wait to find my card, it was relegated to the draw lol. Now it could again be useful.

tedgreen,
Thanks again for the info, can't wait to find my card again, have looked in every draw so far and nada, slippery little thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, so my SD Card extension finally arrived today - 26 days!

Nice, neat and thin ribbon cable so the side cover could close nicely on it without too much of a gap.

1) Inserted the SD card into the extension slot with a spring click and inserted the other end into the machine which also had a spring click. Turned the machine on.

2) Did a dry run, stopped the machine and waited a bit in case it was still writing to the SD card. 

3) Depressed and removed the SD card from the extension and plugged it into my computer. Loaded Sleepyhead and there was data. Good so far.

4) Ejected the card from the pc slot, plugged the SC card back into the extension slot and repeated steps 2 and 3. 

Sure enough there was a second set of data!
Ok so the cable at 48cm length wasn't long enough to reach the top of my study table Unsure , but hey, I think I've solved the wear and tear on my cpap SD card reader!   Banana

Here is a pic:

http://imgur.com/a/jSk7Z

Hope this setup lasts....
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried the same setup on the pc built-in dedicated SD Card slot. This SC Card slot does not have a click. 

Inserted the SD Card into the extension slot and inserted the other end into the PC SD Card slot. PC recognizes it and shows up on explorer. If I copy and paste files into the SD Card, no problems. I remove the SD Card (without eject) and re-insert it, I can still copy, paste and delete the same files in the SD Card. 

Once I eject the SD card, remove it and re-insert it into the extension slot, the pc no longer recognizes the connection. 

Probably someone more familiar or with technical knowledge on PC / SD card can better explain what's happening. I hear that we are supposed to properly eject an SD Card before removing it from the PC, otherwise it will be damaged like a thumbdrive. I'm uncertain if this is to avoid damaging the SD card in the event data is being written when it is removed or there are other reasons.

So it seems, once I insert everything the first time, I can remove and re-insert the SD Card into the extension slot and it will function - because the pc / cpap thinks the SD Card is still physically there all the time?
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Newbee2016,
This applies even if you’re not actually using the device at the time.

The reason is because operating systems use a process called write caching. The operating system doesn’t always write a file to a drive immediately, but instead caches it and waits until it has multiple write operations to complete.

Doing these all at once improves performance, but if the cache is still full when you remove the drive, your data will become corrupted. Clicking the Eject button causes the cache to be emptied and any remaining data to be written to the drive.

That’s the reason why there’s often a delay of several seconds between ejecting the drive and being notified that it’s safe to remove it.

There are also potential issues with the abrupt removal of the power supply from a flash drive. Flash memory is susceptible to this, and it can cause parts of the drive to become corrupt.

I hope this may help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2017, 10:04 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Newbee2016,
This applies even if you’re not actually using the device at the time.

The reason is because operating systems use a process called write caching. The operating system doesn’t always write a file to a drive immediately, but instead caches it and waits until it has multiple write operations to complete.

Doing these all at once improves performance, but if the cache is still full when you remove the drive, your data will become corrupted. Clicking the Eject button causes the cache to be emptied and any remaining data to be written to the drive.

That’s the reason why there’s often a delay of several seconds between ejecting the drive and being notified that it’s safe to remove it.

There are also potential issues with the abrupt removal of the power supply from a flash drive. Flash memory is susceptible to this, and it can cause parts of the drive to become corrupt.

I hope this may help.

ok!

Now I wonder if the PR machine uses this method of write caching as well, or writes the data progressively as it is generated while in use. 

For a safe bet, if, say I've woken up for the morning, and switched the machine off at the wall for the day, I'm sure any writing would have ceased and it ought to be safe to remove the SD Card from the extension slot. Thereafter do what I will with the SD Card and re-insert it back into the extension slot in readiness for the night's usage, when I would turn the power on again. 

As it is, I would on/off the machine everyday. Just that I would move the SD Card to / from the machine when the machine is still on. I could change this part and move the SD Card to/ from the extension when the power supply is off - as added precaution against damaging the SD Card.  Thinking-about
lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 921 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  CPAP, tent camping & extension cords? chrisiscitrus 13 3,380 05-02-2021, 08:18 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?" MAPnea 41 50,867 04-29-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Scobber
  Recommendation on extension cord for international use vroomvroom 4 1,929 05-02-2019, 09:13 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Short tube extension increasing my AHI yankees123 9 1,592 03-22-2019, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Stom
  Extension Cords yenobstev 9 3,105 02-24-2017, 08:42 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Downloading data to SD card of Resmed for nights that SD card not in ResMed machine Robert6 8 9,326 06-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Last Post: estgad

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.