Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SD Card File System
Question 
SD Card File System
Hi everybody,

If I want to make an extra copy of the SD card data in the device, what file system should I format the new SD card with?

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SD Card File System
While I can't advise you which format to use, the SD card that came with my System One was formatted with FAT32
Post Reply Post Reply
All SD cards come formatted to a FAT32.  SD cards seem to have a higher failure rate as opposed to other data storage devices.  For this reason, I highly recommend that you keep a backup the SD card on your computer.  This makes duplicating your SD card very easy. Just insert a blank formatted SD card in your computer and copy the contents of the backup folder to it.

I hope this helps.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2019, 09:06 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: All SD cards come formatted to a FAT32.  SD cards seem to have a higher failure rate as opposed to other data storage devices.  For this reason, I highly recommend that you keep a backup the SD card on your computer.  This makes duplicating your SD card very easy. Just insert a blank formatted SD card in your computer and copy the contents of the backup folder to it.

I hope this helps.

Copy that (pun intended Smile )

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably the best way to back up your SD card (since the CPAPs seem to be sensitive to other computers messing with the files) is to extract an exact bitwise image of the card rather than copying its contents file by file.

For Linux users (Unix, maybe MacOS, though I don't know about that one) you can use the "dd" program to do it. then when you need to re-create a card from that image file, you can put the exact same bits back on it. of course, the new card needs to be the same size or larger...

there are probably Windows tools to image a drive, but I'm not familiar with them.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only CPAP that has problems with extra files is the Resmed S9.  It didn't like the System Volume Info files that Windows 7 and higher would write by default.  You can turn this feature off and not worry about it of just slide the Write Protect Tab before inserting the SD card into the PC.  You can still copy the SD card. A10's and other CPAP's don't experience this condition.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2019, 05:14 PM)fredex Wrote: Probably the best way to back up your SD card (since the CPAPs seem to be sensitive to other computers messing with the files) is to extract an exact bitwise image of the card rather than copying its contents file by file.

For Linux users (Unix, maybe MacOS, though I don't know about that one) you can use the "dd" program to do it. then when you need to re-create a card from that image file, you can put the exact same bits back on it. of course, the new card needs to be the same size or larger...

there are probably Windows tools to image a drive, but I'm not familiar with them.

So you are suggesting a clone copy?
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems safest to me. but if it is something you don't have facilities to do, then any backup is better than none.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where Oscar put the data file? Rosacer24 0 60 03-22-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Rosacer24
  python file converter for EMAY sleep pulse oximeter joeblough 1 618 03-04-2024, 10:26 PM
Last Post: ElectricalPaul
  SpO2 Assistant Data File Conversion WSHenry 3 3,087 01-11-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: BiggerDog
  AirSense 11 Data download csv file vs. card tkblizard 3 495 12-29-2023, 04:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Exporting Oscar File kevinmallard 2 481 12-19-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: kevinmallard
  Oscar file management on two computers nightgagger 2 533 12-18-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: nightgagger
  sample ChoiceMMed MD300W1 dat file joeblough 1 387 12-02-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: joeblough

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.