Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] high ahi
Question 
high ahi
Last night first really full night. logged 8.4 hours wth no leak and an ahi of 12.4. I think the ahi is a little high still, but will play the game. Have a full download of my data scheduled for the Dr. on May 7. Felt pretty good when I got up so cannot figure why the high ahi, but I will let the doctor have his say before I go exploring.

FmacHuh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: high ahi
(04-28-2012, 08:29 AM)fmac Wrote: Last night first really full night. logged 8.4 hours wth no leak and an ahi of 12.4. I think the ahi is a little high still, but will play the game. Have a full download of my data scheduled for the Dr. on May 7. Felt pretty good when I got up so cannot figure why the high ahi, but I will let the doctor have his say before I go exploring.

Many docs will tell you to pay less attention to high AHIs if everything else is working. How are you feeling, are you less sleepy, do you still nap, are you more alert, etc., are some of the things they want to know. And most importantly, you sound very new to the game. It can take a long time for your body to get accustomed to pressurized air being forcibly introduced, sleeping with a mask, dealing with a hose, and all the other related items involved. To me, it sounds like a VERY good start, and I would be pleased if I were you. I have NEVER gotten close to 8 hours sleep with cpap, although I seem on cpap to need less. And, as the saying goes, I would kill for no leaks! :grin:

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2012, 08:29 AM)fmac Wrote: Last night first really full night. logged 8.4 hours wth no leak and an ahi of 12.4. I think the ahi is a little high still, but will play the game. Have a full download of my data scheduled for the Dr. on May 7.

What do you mean by full night? How long have you been using your machine?

It's not unusual to have a high AHI like that as you begin therapy.

Quote:Felt pretty good when I got up so cannot figure why the high ahi, but I will let the doctor have his say before I go exploring.

For an event to be counted in your AHI it has to last for at least 10 seconds. If, without the machine, you get lots of events lasting for much longer than 10 seconds, and with the machine your events last only 10 seconds, you could be having fewer arousals and fewer oxygen desaturations. That would certainly affect the way you feel in the morning.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel that sometimes the AHI can lie to you. One night I can have a good sleep and my AHI around 1 or 2 and then another night after a good sleep it can be as high as 16 ???

Always ask yourself "How do I feel"

Machines can lie and often do Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Have been using a cpap for five years. Last year had a falling out with my dme and dr. I was not getting any restfull sleep and all the dr would say was get new supplies and seif helps.first doctor had first put me on an apap because they were not able to get a good study for a pressure set. He was going to use the apap to get a pressure. I slept like a baby, no problems and my pressure was always about 10. Well he changed to a cpap with a setting of 9 and I never had a restful night since.I tried to get my apap back, but no said the insurance, and doctor, so I just went with the flow. At that time I really did not know what I know now. I was getting a fair sleep with the 9 and old apap. I decided this year to get a new sleep study. Well the new dr and sleep center turned me inside out. I had a study done to see if I really had apnea and then another to get a pressure setting. I am retired and yes I can get an average of 8 or more hours a night,but till this last night with the new machine I never woke felling rested, some days I had just enough energy to get up eat and go back to bed, I was called rip vanwinkle. I think this doctor is on the right path, he listens to you, the previous was you rock, me god.I have learned alot over time and I also think ahi not too good to judge on. My old machine ran from ahi 7 to 18. As I said I do feel rested more than with the new machine. Just playing the game to see what this doctor has to say. I have the software and am very capable of interpreting it. Thanks for the responce will keep you posted on the quest.

fmacThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2012, 08:29 AM)fmac Wrote: Felt pretty good when I got up so cannot figure why the high ahi, but I will let the doctor have his say before I go exploring.

FmacHuh
Congrats keep up the good work. Good luck with the doctor appointment, Let us know how it went bc we really would like to know

Post Reply Post Reply
Angry 
(04-28-2012, 01:24 PM)fmac Wrote: Have been using a cpap for five years. Last year had a falling out with my dme and dr. I was not getting any restfull sleep and all the dr would say was get new supplies and seif helps.first doctor had first put me on an apap because they were not able to get a good study for a pressure set. He was going to use the apap to get a pressure. I slept like a baby, no problems and my pressure was always about 10. Well he changed to a cpap with a setting of 9 and I never had a restful night since.I tried to get my apap back, but no said the insurance, and doctor, so I just went with the flow. At that time I really did not know what I know now. I was getting a fair sleep with the 9 and old apap. I decided this year to get a new sleep study. Well the new dr and sleep center turned me inside out. I had a study done to see if I really had apnea and then another to get a pressure setting. I am retired and yes I can get an average of 8 or more hours a night,but till this last night with the new machine I never woke felling rested, some days I had just enough energy to get up eat and go back to bed, I was called rip vanwinkle. I think this doctor is on the right path, he listens to you, the previous was you rock, me god.I have learned alot over time and I also think ahi not too good to judge on. My old machine ran from ahi 7 to 18. As I said I do feel rested more than with the new machine. Just playing the game to see what this doctor has to say. I have the software and am very capable of interpreting it. Thanks for the responce will keep you posted on the quest.

fmacThanks ps should have said better sleep than old machine.

(04-28-2012, 07:16 PM)fmac Wrote:
(04-28-2012, 01:24 PM)fmac Wrote: Have been using a cpap for five years. Last year had a falling out with my dme and dr. I was not getting any restfull sleep and all the dr would say was get new supplies and seif helps.first doctor had first put me on an apap because they were not able to get a good study for a pressure set. He was going to use the apap to get a pressure. I slept like a baby, no problems and my pressure was always about 10. Well he changed to a cpap with a setting of 9 and I never had a restful night since.I tried to get my apap back, but no said the insurance, and doctor, so I just went with the flow. At that time I really did not know what I know now. I was getting a fair sleep with the 9 and old apap. I decided this year to get a new sleep study. Well the new dr and sleep center turned me inside out. I had a study done to see if I really had apnea and then another to get a pressure setting. I am retired and yes I can get an average of 8 or more hours a night,but till this last night with the new machine I never woke felling rested, some days I had just enough energy to get up eat and go back to bed, I was called rip vanwinkle. I think this doctor is on the right path, he listens to you, the previous was you rock, me god.I have learned alot over time and I also think ahi not too good to judge on. My old machine ran from ahi 7 to 18. As I said I do feel rested more than with the new machine. Just playing the game to see what this doctor has to say. I have the software and am very capable of interpreting it. Thanks for the responce will keep you posted on the quest.

fmacThanks ps should have said better sleep than old machine.
opps!!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 702 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,433 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.