Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SD card extender
RE: SD card extender
This all gets into transmission line theory.
VSWR, inductive and capacitive coupling...

Even circuit board design has to take into account these effects. The analytical tools are generally part of the PCB designers CAD software suit.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Vivitar 50 IN 1 USB card reader that I use on my Mac. The Mac doesn't have a built in slot. It is plugged into one of my many powered hubs and works fine. Don't know why they call it a 50 IN 1 as there are 5 slots on it.

This may be another option to try. BTW I find I get the best results if I unmount the reader and put in the card and then remount it. (In other words, disconnect the reader, put the SD card in it, and then plug it back in). I have formatted a different SD card on it for another system and it worked fine.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2014, 11:51 AM)Homerec130 Wrote: I have a Vivitar 50 IN 1 USB card reader that I use on my Mac. The Mac doesn't have a built in slot. It is plugged into one of my many powered hubs and works fine. Don't know why they call it a 50 IN 1 as there are 5 slots on it.

This may be another option to try. BTW I find I get the best results if I unmount the reader and put in the card and then remount it. (In other words, disconnect the reader, put the SD card in it, and then plug it back in). I have formatted a different SD card on it for another system and it worked fine.

Homer

Defeats the purpose the OP wanted -- the ability to have SD card elevated for easier access since the OP's machine is on the floor.

If the OP must reach for the machines SD slot to use the extender, then the OP may just as well not use the extender.

I think, more than a transmission issue, this is a "card presence' issue.

(What did you fly homer?)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2014, 02:01 PM)justMongo Wrote: I think, more than a transmission issue, this is a "card presence' issue.

I think that is correct. This isn't a speed of data issue nor a delay in timing or even crosstalk, but a simple presence issue.

Neither snow nor sleet nor excess cable length will stop the performance of the SD cable extension but if the slot in the receiving machine detects the open cable as an SD card, an error message will result that prevents further progress. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
This thread reminds me of a joke I heard once.

Three professors from Yale, Harvard, and MIT were attending the execution of a murderer. When the execution goes awry because the electric chair fails to operate, the Law Professor from Yale interprets the miscue as ‘foundation for legal jeopardy’. The Harvard Divinity School Professor proclaims the event an ‘Act of God’, demanding the immediate release of the convicted felon. Finally the MIT Professor wryly suggests that the executioner try inserting the power cord into the wall socket.

The obvious isn't always so obvious any more than common sense is all that common. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
other words ... Don't Do It !
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2014, 02:01 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(10-20-2014, 11:51 AM)Homerec130 Wrote: I have a Vivitar 50 IN 1 USB card reader that I use on my Mac. The Mac doesn't have a built in slot. It is plugged into one of my many powered hubs and works fine. Don't know why they call it a 50 IN 1 as there are 5 slots on it.

Homer

Defeats the purpose the OP wanted -- the ability to have SD card elevated for easier access since the OP's machine is on the floor.

If the OP must reach for the machines SD slot to use the extender, then the OP may just as well not use the extender.

I think, more than a transmission issue, this is a "card presence' issue.

(What did you fly homer?)

With the card reader you could also attach it to a USB extension and put the female end of the cable on the desktop. Plug the SD reader into that. Or you could attach a powered USB hub to the back of the computer and put it on the desktop and go from there.

Homer

I flew as an Navigator/Instructor Navigator on KC-135s (air refuelers), E-3s (AWACS) and EC-130Hs (comm jammers). Great job.

Post Reply Post Reply
Buy Toshiba wifi-card and leave the card in the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2014, 01:14 PM)Lazer1234 Wrote: Buy Toshiba wifi-card and leave the card in the machine.

Toshiba calls their version of such devices "Flashair" (available in 8, 16 and 32 GB) and there are competitors who also have SD cards + wifi. The 8 GB Toshiba is $26.95 on Amazon, worth every penny if it really eliminates needing to schlep the SD card back and forth all the time. How often have I gone to bed and left the SD card in the computer, only to discover my error the next morning?

But before I spend the money, is anyone actually using one of these things and will my S9 Autoset (and other CPAP machines) use it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the info about the SD card extender. I will do some research into the flashair.
I too also forget to put the card back in. It would be nice if the flashair would work.
When I have time to play with it, I will get back with the results unless some one has already used it. Thanks, Brad
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 922 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?" MAPnea 41 50,876 04-29-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Scobber
  Hose extender - best practices? YYCBrian 3 978 05-13-2020, 05:13 AM
Last Post: MitchS
  Downloading data to SD card of Resmed for nights that SD card not in ResMed machine Robert6 8 9,327 06-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Last Post: estgad
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,250 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.