Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Where to get a funded CPAP machine for health care card holder in VIC
Where to get a funded CPAP machine for health care card holder in VIC
Hello 

My mum was just diagnosed with severe OSA AHI=63. She has been told by the current hospital that they only fund the CPAP machine for pensioner, not Health Care Card holder. Mum is not a pensioner, and she cannot afford to self fund the machine herself. 

Our friend has got a free machine a couple of years ago from The Alfred Hospital as a HCC holder. We are not sure if they are still running the programme for just HCC holder anymore.

Please let me know here if any of you have got a free machine recently from any public hospital in Melbourne.

Thanks heaps
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Where to get a funded CPAP machine for health care card holder in VIC
You might look at Supplier #2 at the top of this site (suppliers list). They sell slightly used machines and ship internationally. I purchased used from them (1 month old) and they are an excellent company and excellent machine. I would recommend them and the ResMed 10s autoset machine.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
It is often cheaper (sometimes substantially so) to purchase a machine from the United States rather than Australia. See the Apnea Board Supplier List which includes a number of AU suppliers. You should call them to ask how reimbursement is managed for HCC holders, then decide if it is less expensive to a device from a U.S. supplier. We highly recommend the use of the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset For Her which is available from Supplier #2 which has a longstanding good reputation for exports to AU and warranty services. There are currently 42 Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset machines available from Supplier #2 lightly used for $389 USD or new for $589 USD.

Some clinics will try to tell you it is illegal to import a machine - it is not. Many American suppliers require a prescription which can be provided by your GP. When comparing prices take into account the current exchange rate and shipping charges. CPAP is GST exempt, but will likely attract a Customs fee (currently around $80.00).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi babynurse,

Looks like public health CPAP supply here in Victoria is really messed up compared to some other states.

According to this submission from the Australasian Sleep Association to a Parliamentary Inquiry on Sleep Health Awareness in Australia early last year, in Victoria funding is "provided through individual public hospitals/health service networks and there is no co-ordinated state-wide approach or consistency". So it might be necessary to call around to different hospital networks to see if they can help... and even then there might be a significant waiting list.

It looks like with a health care card your mum may be able to get $163/year from the Essential Medical Equipment Payment scheme, so that should cover a significant portion of the cost (around 50% of the cost of a locally sourced ResMed AirSense 10 auto & mask with 5 year warranty amortized over 5 years, more if you buy from the US). Although I understand people buying from the US I'm not convinced it's worthwhile as Australian Consumer Law gives you so many more rights and local service/warranty is worth something... (Our AirSense 10 auto motor got noisy after a couple of years and we immediately got a loan unit and our original unit back repaired after a few weeks).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 305 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Gut Absorbtion Health? Zoltyzolt 0 90 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Zoltyzolt
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 624 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 91 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,729 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.