Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SD slot life ?
SD slot life ?
Does anyone know how much use the SD slot in a Dreamstation cpap 
can have before it wears out ? That is is removing my SD card every day
to look at my data wearing out the slot in the machine ?  I don't care much
about wearing the DS card out as they are dirt cheap but am woried about
that card slot.
\
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SD slot life ?
Yo could always buy a WiFi SD card so you don't have to take it out. I don't know how long they last but I haven't heard of them wearing out. Maybe someone else has.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Under the assumption that you have health insurance coverage, these machines are typically replaced every 5 years. IMO wearing out the SD card slot is probably not an issue. But there is a first time for me being proven wrong.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a WiFi card to download my data to my computer. It was a pain to setup, but well worth the effort. I’ve been using it for over two years with no problems. There are several threads on the forum on which card to get and how to set it up.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The specs from the card manufacturers typically give a number in the range of 10,000 to 20,000.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2018, 05:57 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: The specs from the card manufacturers typically give a number in the range of 10,000 to 20,000.

Clarify please. 10-20,000 what? Insertion into the slot maybe?

Sounds like a real fun job huh? OK Charles, insert this SD card into the machine and tell Joe when the slot breaks.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Physical insertion/removal cycles, yes.

(No off-color jokes, please, anyone. This is a family forum and we are easily shocked.)

Write cycles to the flash RAM are different and I don't have a number for those; would need to look it up. But the information is all out there and web-searchable.
Post Reply Post Reply
The card slot failed on my System One BiPAP at relatively low hours. The pins and springs can fail more quickly if the SD card is inserted incorrectly, or if it is defective or damaged. Life varies a lot, but daily use will certainly wear it out faster. Once you have settled on therapy settings, you will probably find weekly or monthly review of data is plenty. If not, then switching to wifi makes sense.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2018, 06:10 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: Physical insertion/removal cycles, yes.

(No off-color jokes, please, anyone.  This is a family forum and we are easily shocked.)

Write cycles to the flash RAM are different and I don't have a number for those; would need to look it up.  But the information is all out there and web-searchable.

Hopefully, what I posted didn't offend. I don't do off-color jokes. What I posted was literally about an SD card and installing/inserting. I can rightfully be charged with being too joking like or overly sarcastic at the wrong time, improper place as well. You only have my word for it, but as I stated, I don't do off-color jokes here or in person, public private or otherwise. As in never.

Regardless, if what I posted, or the manner or phrases I used did offend, I apologize.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't know about the slot but I have had problems with SD card.  I always lock SD card before inserting into computer. (Didn't lock it once and Windows OS did its thing rendering card useless and lost all my data on card).

BTW. Has anyone figured out how to make a backup SD card?  Can't save data on PC and then reload files to SD card.  The Windows format is rejected by PAP machine.

Anyway after downloading data you have to unlock SD card before putting back in machine. Resmed bundles really cheap 2GB SD cards with machine with assumption it will only be removed once or twice a year.  The little write lock tab broke off and the machine kept saying "Insert SD card".  Without the tab apparently the PAP machine can't recognize the SD card. 

So I bought a 8 GB SanDisk SD card replacement and never had lock tab problem again. 

One thing I noticed with Resmed is the machine's internal memory only stores 30 days of detailed data.  So if you ever have to start new SD card, the PAP machine will format it and write only 30 days of detailed data.  So if you want to preserve all detailed data, download to SleepyHead at least every 30 days just in case as a way to backup data.  The internal memory of PAP machine stores years of summary data.
Everyone has a bad hair day once in a while.  Same with a night on xPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 398 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,111 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 Reptile 13 12,259 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Airsense 10 end of life JamesW 3 622 12-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  [Treatment] Waking up worse despite multiple changes, life feels awful davigalindo 10 957 10-26-2023, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Motor Life Exceeded, at 21,900 hours Aircurve 10 Vauto Sleeprider 52 7,316 10-08-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.