Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SDHC Flashair card in PAPs
RE: SDHC Flashair card in PAPs
Thanks, I've done a little more reading. Looks like they haven't finished the job yet on this puppy. I don't understand their stupidity on how they configured this.

All the stuff they've got is OK, but they need to finish the job and add optional:

1) Have the chip connect to a wireless network when it's in range instead of requiring you to reconfigure your computer every time you want to use it. Even just for photography, you need to download it to your home computer. How many people are going to want to go into their Windows computer settings, disconnect from their home router, connect to the FlashAir card, and then reconfigure their Windows PC back to the normal home internet connection?

Oh-jeez

Can you imagine how much success most Windows users are going to have with this, and how many people are going to end up with their internet connection broken?

2) Put an FTP server on the card.

Darn shame they messed it up. Looks like this could be useful if done right.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 07:53 PM)archangle Wrote: Thanks, I've done a little more reading. Looks like they haven't finished the job yet on this puppy. I don't understand their stupidity on how they configured this.

All the stuff they've got is OK, but they need to finish the job and add optional:

1) Have the chip connect to a wireless network when it's in range instead of requiring you to reconfigure your computer every time you want to use it. Even just for photography, you need to download it to your home computer. How many people are going to want to go into their Windows computer settings, disconnect from their home router, connect to the FlashAir card, and then reconfigure their Windows PC back to the normal home internet connection?

Oh-jeez

Can you imagine how much success most Windows users are going to have with this, and how many people are going to end up with their internet connection broken?

2) Put an FTP server on the card.

Darn shame they messed it up. Looks like this could be useful if done right.

I so agree with you. One of the things I mentioned to Jack Russell was to add a feature to his software that allowed it to automatically reconnect back to the original connection for just that reason as I felt a bunch of people might not even understand it dropped the connection you had to go to the other connection and then it leaves you off the original connection. He did that and he did it quickly, he is very nice and easy to deal with.

In regards to Toshiba and not finishing it, they were going after the eye fi people, and so the card was primarily designed to do photos. And to address the issues for photos they added internet pass through so the card could bypass hooking to a computer go directly to an internet connection, and drop the pictures in a photobucket or dropbox or the like account then you could get them from any device hooked to the internet.

But I get the feeling from using this card myself that it's not a ready for prime time card, and it really is a shame as there are so many good uses for it and they really overlooked them and virtually dropped the ball. They act as if pictures are all that matter when in fact it can be used for so much more.

Who knows maybe the next version will do the deed properly, in the interim I do have it hooked up and working and it is less of a chore to do the sleepyhead data with it for me. For $25 it was worth it, but not much more tbh. Not at the moment anyway.

Kudos to JR though for his software, his quick replies, and the great efforts he has put in.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 08:14 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(11-18-2014, 07:53 PM)archangle Wrote: 2) Put an FTP server on the card.
I so agree with you. One of the things I mentioned to Jack Russell was to add a feature to his software that allowed it to automatically reconnect back to the original connection for just that reason as I felt a bunch of people might not even understand it dropped the connection you had to go to the other connection and then it leaves you off the original connection. He did that and he did it quickly, he is very nice and easy to deal with.
In regards to Toshiba and not finishing it, they were going after the eye fi people, and so the card was primarily designed to do photos. And to address the issues for photos they added internet pass through so the card could bypass hooking to a computer go directly to an internet connection, and drop the pictures in a photobucket or dropbox or the like account then you could get them from any device hooked to the internet.
But I get the feeling from using this card myself that it's not a ready for prime time card, and it really is a shame as there are so many good uses for it and they really overlooked them and virtually dropped the ball. They act as if pictures are all that matter when in fact it can be used for so much more.

Indeed, an ftp server on the card would make life a lot simpler.

While shopping around I found that the competition is even worse. One manufacturer even set their card up so the only files you could put on it were JPGs. Why?

As for connecting and disconnecting, all my computers are wired, but my laptop and phone can use wifi as well. With the laptop I have to disable the ethernet connection in order to connect to the Flashair, and then re-enable it in order to continue using the internet. Eventually I'll add this to my script once I get the S9 properly writing to the card.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got mine running today. I've had the card for awhile, but haven't taken the time to play with it until now. I do not have a wireless adapter on my big computer, and as pointed out the card doesn't want to connect to the wireless network right now.

So I used one of my laptops to install this. Now, I have to decide how I want to use it. I can connect to the card from the laptop and get the results, and view them in Sleepyhead there. Or I could connect, get the results, store them on my cloud space, go back to my big computer & bring the results in and view them there.

Or I could take the card out of the Resmed when I get up in the morning, poke it into the big computer, read in and view the results while I have my coffee.

Not sure yet which approach I'll take.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 09:21 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Or I could take the card out of the Resmed when I get up in the morning, poke it into the big computer, read in and view the results while I have my coffee.

Avoiding having to do this was my only motivation for getting the Flashair.

First, I lost count of how many time I got up in the morning only to discover that the card was still sitting in my computer from the day before. It's just one night's data lost, but it's still annoying.

More importantly, the SD card jack in my old computer failed. And the jack in my PRS1 failed also, although I was later able to repair it. The connectors on the cards seem sturdy enough, but the jacks in the PAPs and computers are junk. Bear in mind that all the components in these devices were supplied by the lowest bidder.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 09:13 PM)JJJ Wrote: While shopping around I found that the competition is even worse. One manufacturer even set their card up so the only files you could put on it were JPGs. Why?

Because the card was designed solely to go in digital cameras, and then transfer the pictures to a smartphone. We are adapting it for a design it was never intended for. The only reason the flashair works at all is because it sees files other than just image files.

(11-18-2014, 09:13 PM)JJJ Wrote: As for connecting and disconnecting, all my computers are wired, but my laptop and phone can use wifi as well. With the laptop I have to disable the ethernet connection in order to connect to the Flashair, and then re-enable it in order to continue using the internet. Eventually I'll add this to my script once I get the S9 properly writing to the card.

Yes that is what JR did for the software as well, makes it easier.

(11-18-2014, 09:21 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Or I could take the card out of the Resmed when I get up in the morning, poke it into the big computer, read in and view the results while I have my coffee.

This is exactly what I wanted to get away from.

(11-18-2014, 10:08 PM)JJJ Wrote:

Avoiding having to do this was my only motivation for getting the Flashair.

First, I lost count of how many time I got up in the morning only to discover that the card was still sitting in my computer from the day before. It's just one night's data lost, but it's still annoying.

That was exactly why I did it, the very same reason. I was also afraid that the daily in and out was not good for anything least of all the cpap machine.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sort of success this morning.

The first time I used the Flashair in the S9 was Sunday night, after spending some time with a genius friend who helped me figure out the script. We removed the password so it would be an open network. When I put it back into the S9 Sunday night it wanted to erase the card, which I let it do. Monday morning I pulled it out of the S9 because my computer could not see it. I put it into my computer, and then the computer could see it. It took me a while, but I finally got connected it (had to use my phone at first).

Monday night I put the card back into the S9 and it accepted it without demanding to erase it. When I got up Tuesday morning I was unable to connect to it with my phone or my computer, so I pulled the card out of the S9 and reinserted it. Then I was able to connect to it with my phone and my computer, but there was no data for Monday night. I left the card in the S9.

Last night (Tuesday night) I just went to bed as usual because the card was still in the S9. When I got up this morning once more neither my phone nor my computer could see the card. Remembering what happened Tuesday morning when I pulled the card out and reinserted it in order to wake it up again, this morning I unplugged the S9 and then plugged it back in again. The S9 gave me no complaints about the card, and my computer and phone could see it. I connected to it with my computer, disconnected from the ethernet, and my script worked. I pointed SleepyHead to the folder where the script downloaded the files to, and SleepyHead happily reported the data for last night.

So the moral of the story is if your computer does not see the Flashair in your S9, unplug the S9 and plug it back in again rather than pulling out the Flashair and reinserting it. A better solution would be to figure out how to remove the timeout setting on the Flashair.

On Toshiba's site I found that you can set the timeout in milliseconds (google on "flashair timeout"), but if you set the timeout to 0 it won't timeout ever. Unfortunately, I can't find a place to enter that setting on the card. That is, I found a config file (plain text), but there is no setting for timeout. I think I should just add the entry per Toshiba's instructions "APPAUTOTIME=0" to the config file. Changes to the config don't take effect until you remove and reinsert the card,which is annoying.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to believe I was quite tech savvy, then as I learned more I began to realize how little I knew. Now it seems I have learned so much that I know nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've got it working on Xubuntu, and soon I will write a complete Linux tutorial for the Flashair. The last thing I need to figure out is what these four files in the root of the card do and if I need to re-download them every day. The following are how they appear on Saturday morning, November 22, 2014:

identification.crc 2014.11.21 00:07.20 4 bytes
identification.tgt 2014.11.21 00:07.20 18 bytes
STR.crc 2014.11.22 12:00.00 8 bytes
STR.edf 2014.11.22 12:00.00 40 KB

My script downloads the eight new files in the DOWNLOADS folder every day, but does not currently re-download these files every day. When I import the data into SleepyHead I find the SleepyHead thinks that each day is a new change to the settings in my S9 Autoset:

[attachment=1101]

Does anyone know what the function of these four files is?
Post Reply Post Reply
A new version of Sleep Master wireless data transfer has been released on the website sleepmaster.org.

It will run on Ubuntu using the Wine windows program loader.

Tom
Admin Note:
Jack_Russell_Fan passed away in June 2020
For his SleepMaster software, click here.

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 923 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?" MAPnea 41 50,885 04-29-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Scobber
Angry [News] ELON MUSK TAKES CRAP FOR DELIVERING BI-PAPS srlevine1 2 971 04-16-2020, 03:01 AM
Last Post: sleepyp
  Please help me find an SDHC card reader that will work on Resmed cards EnsignRo 8 1,585 01-28-2020, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Helpful info re Toshiba Flashair Keljian 6 1,625 03-11-2018, 09:19 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Is SDHC suitable for REMSTAR System One DS56? asdftalk 6 1,430 08-21-2017, 05:06 PM
Last Post: asdftalk
  [CPAP] FlashAir III w/ PR System 1 A-Flex markn62 11 2,572 07-09-2017, 06:55 PM
Last Post: markn62

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.