Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Rapidly Cycling Bilevel Pressure
Rapidly Cycling Bilevel Pressure
This morning, I woke up to find my ResMed VPAP Auto 25, Which is operating in bi-level mode, cycling between my IPAP and EPAP very rapidly. The cycle was taking about 1 second. I tried slowing my breathing to see if it would sense it and even tried holding my breath. It just maintained its rapid cycling and also did not score an apnea. This is way faster than my Ti max which is set at 2.0.

Does anyone know what might be going on or what might be causing this?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rapidly Cycling Bilevel Pressure
Sounds to me like a call to the DME is in order.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd reboot (power off, wait 10 seconds, power on) in that situation -- should not have a 30-60 respiratory rate unless trying to force hyperventilation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ti max is the max time in IPAP.
Ti min, which is often of the order of 300 milliseconds, is the minimum time it stays in IPAP.

Your machine can trigger as fast as about 3.33 times per second.
It may be a defect in the machine.
It may be your breathing pattern.
It may be the sensitivity of the trigger or cycle which is are often defaulted to MED.

I find my VPAP, that I run in S mode (Spontaneous) double triggers during a portion of my sleep.
I can see in the flow data why is would trigger. A slight positive flow in the middle of expiration triggers it back to IPAP during expiration.
My resp rate is usually around 15 per minute.
During this double trigger, my resp rate is recorded as about 30 per minute.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I am trying the Bill Gates Solution (Reboot!!!)

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
On power cycling, I prefer to pull the AC line cord, not the DC plug in the back of the machine.
The supply takes a while to drain the capacitors -- I have found 10 seconds too short.
More like minutes!

(Or pull the AC first, then the DC.)
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2014, 09:24 PM)justMongo Wrote: On power cycling, I prefer to pull the AC line cord, not the DC plug in the back of the machine.
The supply takes a while to drain the capacitors -- I have found 10 seconds too short.
More like minutes!

(Or pull the AC first, then the DC.)

My S8 apparently has the transformer internal to the machine. I did disconnect the power and left it that way for several hours. Last night-no problem. Thanks for the input on draining the capacitors. I will keep that in mind.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2014, 10:39 AM)PaytonA Wrote: My S8 apparently has the transformer internal to the machine. I did disconnect the power and left it that way for several hours. Last night-no problem. Thanks for the input on draining the capacitors. I will keep that in mind.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Ah,yes. I missed your machine in your profile.
The VPAP Auto 25 is indeed an S8, and the power supply is internal to the machine.

Your machine is the S8 version of my S9 VPAP Auto.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,972 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 80 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Sucking in on bilevel ahuman 9 175 03-19-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: ahuman
  Bilevel ASV - Resuming After Septoplaasty Dread 130 8,160 03-13-2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 797 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,828 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.