Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SEVERE EAR PAIN WITH CPAP
RE: SEVERE EAR PAIN WITH CPAP
(03-08-2019, 12:26 PM)mesenteria Wrote: There's another often overlooked cause of the clicks 'n pops, and that would be hardened ear wax making occasional contact with the tympanic membrane.

Yes!  For me, I had ruled that out.  But good point.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2019, 05:49 AM)pavelow360 Wrote: Revisiting this issue because it has not gone away. I've worked on no swallowing or yawning but it doesn't change anything. I've been able to see an ENT that understands this phenomena and he suggested two possible aids. One, estrogen ear drops and / or two , poking a hole in my ear drum to help aleve any pressure build up. I have received the ear drops but haven't used them as I am scared of any side effects this may cause. This is an estrogen that is injected into woman. The doctor just diluted a bottle of estrogen in saline solution.  I want help but I am scared of side effects. The Dr. says this would help to keep my eustachian tubes closed better. He said he has had mixed results. Has anyone heard of or had experience with either of these two methods?

Have you tried (or are you on) a decongestant and/or an allergy medication?

A few years ago, way before I was on cpap, I had symptoms very similar, ranging from minor clicking/popping feelings to stabbing pain.  My doctor couldn't find anything obviously wrong, but prescribed a stronger allergy medication.  The allergy meds did the job but left me feeling incredibly groggy.  I now take a half dose of Mucinex-D every night before bed in addition to a daily dose of Claritin, and haven't had problems since.  Since starting cpap a few weeks ago I've had an occasional instance where I'll swallow with the mask on and get a brief uncomfortable sensation in one or both ears similar to a need to pop them, but it goes away quickly.

I've not tried either of the mentioned solutions, when I was having the ear pain the doctor offered me a pain relieving ear drops, but I only used them once as they numbed my ears in a way that felt just as weird as the more minor clicking/popping feelings.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2019, 11:50 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: I've not heard of either of those.

My ear issues have *completely resolved* since shutting off the exhale support.  Keeping the pressure the same for both inhale and exhale has eliminated the ear pain, clicks, and pops.

I did a little more digging. I do not believe I have the issue of overly open eustation tubes other than possibly pushed open by the pressure of the CPAP. I found a video where a doctor does talk about the use of estrogen to help with patulous eustachian tubes. That doctor said exactly what my doctor said "mixed results". There was another video that mentioned putting a tube in the eardrum to help as well. I didn't really doubt the Dr., just don't like the idea of estrogen use.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2019, 07:30 PM)ruthcatrin Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 05:49 AM)pavelow360 Wrote: Revisiting this issue because it has not gone away. I've worked on no swallowing or yawning but it doesn't change anything. I've been able to see an ENT that understands this phenomena and he suggested two possible aids. One, estrogen ear drops and / or two , poking a hole in my ear drum to help aleve any pressure build up. I have received the ear drops but haven't used them as I am scared of any side effects this may cause. This is an estrogen that is injected into woman. The doctor just diluted a bottle of estrogen in saline solution.  I want help but I am scared of side effects. The Dr. says this would help to keep my eustachian tubes closed better. He said he has had mixed results. Has anyone heard of or had experience with either of these two methods?

Have you tried (or are you on) a decongestant and/or an allergy medication?

A few years ago, way before I was on cpap, I had symptoms very similar, ranging from minor clicking/popping feelings to stabbing pain.  My doctor couldn't find anything obviously wrong, but prescribed a stronger allergy medication.  The allergy meds did the job but left me feeling incredibly groggy.  I now take a half dose of Mucinex-D every night before bed in addition to a daily dose of Claritin, and haven't had problems since.  Since starting cpap a few weeks ago I've had an occasional instance where I'll swallow with the mask on and get a brief uncomfortable sensation in one or both ears similar to a need to pop them, but it goes away quickly.

I've not tried either of the mentioned solutions, when I was having the ear pain the doctor offered me a pain relieving ear drops, but I only used them once as they numbed my ears in a way that felt just as weird as the more minor clicking/popping feelings.

I am not on any full time allergy medication, although I used to be. I had / have occasional jaw pain as well, but the ear pain started as random sharp pains, then a fullness of the ears and then jaw pains. I've since had a splint made and for the most part, the sharp pains in the ear and jaw pains aren't as prevalent. I still have the ear issues though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there. 

I have been having a similar problem. My sleep doctor (an ENT) recommended an antihistamine, nasal steroid spray and debrox to loosen up ear wax. He also suggested chewing gum in the morning to help to drain the fluid in my ears. It is slowly getting better. I've also been blowing my nose when I wake up for the bathroom. 

Thanks for asking this question!  I might play with my ERP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another sinusitis sufferer here, and another who finds that CPAP affects my ears. In my case however, it gives me tinnitus for an hour or so after waking, when I feel like I just spent the night in the engine room of an ocean-going liner.

I also occasionally get sinus pain behind my right eye when I've been on the machine for a hour or more.

On doctor's advice, I tried using decongestant and antihistamine sprays. Both helped somewhat, but I didn't continue with either because I feel I already bombard my body with enough drugs and chemicals, to treat my various other ailments.

The worst aspects of my sinus issues are hearing loss, which I can alleviate a little by using a Neti pot, and barotrauma when flying. The latter can be bad enough to make me weep, but if I remember to use a decongestant spray before we commence descent and pop in my 'Earplanes' ear plugs, I can usually avoid it so long as the pilot doesn't descend too quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi

Do you use full face mask? 

This patient was helped with nasal mask - pain was eliminated.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4548426/
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi

Do you use full face mask? 

This patient was helped with nasal mask - pain was eliminated.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4548426/
Post Reply Post Reply
Grinding or clenching (bruxism) can cause severe ear pain. You mentioned your jaw is sometimes sore.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad cause severe brain fog and unbearable headaches use cpap jiyun 1 105 04-09-2024, 08:26 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Diagnosis] Cheyne Stokes Respiration & Severe OSA Keymom0122 2 88 04-08-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Keymom0122
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 749 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,072 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 204 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 511 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 363 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.