Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SEVERE NIGHTIME HYPOXIA TREATED BY CPAP?
SEVERE NIGHTIME HYPOXIA TREATED BY CPAP?

Because of the results of my first sleep study it said that I have severe nightime hypoxia and they were treating it with CPAP. By the time that I had my second sleep study, three months later, they told me it was cleared up.

Anyone else with this experience? Sleep-well
Kate
:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SEVERE NIGHTIME HYPOXIA TREATED BY CPAP?
Nope, have not heard of this but hopefully some of the more experienced people will be by and help.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 04:23 AM)Kate Wrote: Because of the results of my first sleep study it said that I have severe nightime hypoxia and they were treating it with CPAP. By the time that I had my second sleep study, three months later, they told me it was cleared up.

Kate

Just a WAG here Kate, since I don't really know what your docs were looking at, but Docs often focus on the "result" of a problem rather than what caused it in the first place.

So if they determined you had "severe nighttime hypoxia," rather than saying "Oh, you have Sleep Apnea, and that's known to cause "severe nighttime hypoxia," they just put you on a CPAP machine. And that "corrected" the problem. In other words, control the apnea, control the effects.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 11:51 AM)retired_guy Wrote:
(08-15-2014, 04:23 AM)Kate Wrote: Because of the results of my first sleep study it said that I have severe nightime hypoxia and they were treating it with CPAP. By the time that I had my second sleep study, three months later, they told me it was cleared up.

Kate

Just a WAG here Kate, since I don't really know what your docs were looking at, but Docs often focus on the "result" of a problem rather than what caused it in the first place.

So if they determined you had "severe nighttime hypoxia," rather than saying "Oh, you have Sleep Apnea, and that's known to cause "severe nighttime hypoxia," they just put you on a CPAP machine. And that "corrected" the problem. In other words, control the apnea, control the effects.

I have mild apnea but severe nightime hypoxia.
:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 11:51 AM)retired_guy Wrote: [quote='Kate' pid='79697' dateline='1408094586']
retired_guy pretty much covered it.
The word apnoea translates (approximately) as lack of air. Therefore to suffer from nocturnal hypoxia (oxygen desaturation) you must either stop breathing or have a restricted airway as you sleep. To remedy this, CPAP was prescribed for you as it was for all of us. In my case, an oxygen concentrator was also prescribed. That was over 14 years ago. and I sleep with it turned on every night The supplemental O2 won't prevent nocturnal desaturation in the event of central or full obstructive apnoea, but helps keep up O2 levels in cases of hypopnoea. It also speeds up recovery from hypoxic events. Thus you are among the lucky ones who have achieved maximum benefit from CPAP therapy.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2014, 05:10 AM)Kate Wrote: I have mild apnea but severe nightime hypoxia.

Hi Kate,

Mild sleep apnea refers only to the average number of how many (5 to 15) Apnea plus Hypopnea events are occurring per hour, not to how deep the O2 desaturations go.

Severe nighttime hypoxia refers to how deep (SpO2 under 75%) the desaturations go during events.

Apparently, with PAP treatment your hypoxia events are no longer as deep.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am prescribed supplemental O2 from a concentrator induced into my CPAP flow.
CPAP can improve desaturation in several ways -- first by reducing apneas.
But, second: Some people with OSA will also have areas of collapsed air sacs in the lungs called Atelectasis.
Some of these collapsed air sacs can be recovered by positive airway pressure.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad cause severe brain fog and unbearable headaches use cpap jiyun 1 105 04-09-2024, 08:26 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Diagnosis] Cheyne Stokes Respiration & Severe OSA Keymom0122 2 88 04-08-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Keymom0122
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 749 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  One machine says I'm treated, another suggests I'm not shawsg 5 221 03-10-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 511 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,808 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 531 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.