Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SH 1.1 and OSCAR divide sleep sessions that go over noon.
SH 1.1 and OSCAR divide sleep sessions that go over noon.
I have started running in SleepyHead 1.1 and Oscar in addition to my trusted SleepyHead 1.0, hoping to shift eventually to Oscar. So far SleepyHead 1.1 and Oscar seem identical to use.

I'm suffering from a severe circadian rhythm disorder in addition to my other sleep problems. I'm now stuck in sleeping during daytime. 

SleepyHead 1.1 and Oscar divide my sleep sessions at noon rendering them useless and also messing up my SpO2 meter data. SleepyHead 1.0 keeps the sessions combined and SpO2 data in sync. In 1.0 you can select to combine close by sessions, but there is no such selection in 1.1 or Oscar.  I use an Apple MacBook Air computer, Resmed 10 Autoset and Contec CMS 50 I SpO2 meter.

I have read the previous threads, but haven't found anyone with a similar problem. I'm grateful, if someone has a solution I can try.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SleepyHead 1.1 and OSCAR divide sleep sessions that go over noon.
You'll need to stick with Sleepyhead 1.0 for that feature. It was disabled for Resmed machines in Sleepyhead 1.1 and Oscar as you have found out. What you could try doing, bare in mind I have not done this so no idea if this will work, is set your CPAP time back 12 hours. So in essence 12 noon now becomes your 12 midnight. You'll just have to keep that in mind when looking at date specific entries.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your answer. I will try your idea to see if it works or creates some unforeseen problems. As far as my AHI or sleep diary go, it shouldn't be a problem. I have to set my Spo2 meter accordingly 12 h off for it to sync.

In my case it's a pity that the combine feature was left out, as my circadian rhythm may also get fragmented or shift altogether. My sleep is then divided into shorter bits, sometimes some during the day, some during the night, especially if I try to force my rhythm to move, or moves my whole sleep to a different time, usually persistently, but slowly forward (my nychthemeron may be around 26 h instead of 24 h and change), but sometimes suddenly hours in one change. So, the noon problem is likely to raise its head again one day. I may have to stick to SleepyHead 1.0 after all, but I can experiment with the 1.1 and Oscar, as I've kept their data separate from the main 1.0 data not to mess up my main data by accident.

Once again thanks and sweet dreams (as much as possible).
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry to say the idea doesn't work for me, because I would have to change both the Resmed and Contec clocks 12 h off to use SleepyHead 1.1 and Oscar 12 h off to avoid their mandatory noon split. Doing this would mean I would have to use also my currently working SleepyHead 1.0 12 h off, when all my old data is on normal time. 

It's a lot easier to continue using SleepyHead 1.0, as I will continue to try to change my current upside down circadian rhythm to a more suitable one. There will be problems when changing my computer, if SleepyHead 1.0 is no longer available. I would have use one of the copies in my current, ageing, Mac. Let's hope I manage to buy a new one before my current one expires. 

It's regrettable from my point of view that SleepyHead 1.1 and Oscar have removed the option to consolidate close by sleep sessions, which in my case keeps my sleep sessions intact no matter when I sleep, rendering both pretty useless to me and others, who may sleep at noon.
Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR is in its early stages of development, and I hope that we can overcome some of the obstacles posed by the ResMed data structures.
There is no reason you shouldn't continue to use SH v1.0 as long as it meets your needs. I think we can ensure that archive copies of its executable packages will remain available for quite a while.
I will add an enhancement issue for combining sessions and allowing sleeping past noon (I'm usually up by by 11:00, but, you know...you aren't the only one).
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
not directly related to the 1200 cutoff but regarding the 2 lost options to combine sessions in resmed machines: I've said it elsewhere but appropriate here too: I'd like to see the 2 combining sessions options put back into oscar for resmed machines. because my sleep is fragmented, I want to see and document gaps in sleep when I take the mask off and shut machine down. contrary to my interests, SH 1.1 and Oscar automatically combine some sessions (and the option to turn those off is gone) so I mainly continue to use SH 1.0.0 beta 2 broken gl.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your answer. I hope consolidate option is not too difficult to get back. There may have been a good reason to leave it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have sometimes to switch off and back on my Resmed 10 Autoset, because it continues to raise the pressure until my well fitting mask lifts off my face despite as tight as possible straps. All Resmed versions and Oscar seem to consolidate these. So far the noon cut out has been the big problem to me that messes everything else up. It may have covered up other problems. 

I use also other sleep measuring tools, because sleep apnea is not my only problem. Besides the circadian rhythm problem I also have severe PLMD. I use Beddit and Emfit measuring strips in my bed and also as the newest addition a Garmin activity monitor (I have other Garmin products). Beddit and Emfit are similar, but I use also Emfit, because it uses heart rate variation measurement, just like the Garmin, to measure stress. 

Since both Beddit and Emfit originate in my home country, Finland, I have discussed via email with their developers. Emfit has a similar problem to me like SleepyHead 1.1 and Oscar have. It also divides my sleep sessions, if I for example wake up to go to the bathroom and realize I also have to take some medication and take too long doing so. The Emfit developers can't allow breaks longer than about 20 min, because the measurement starts automatically. 

In Beddit, which is similar, you can start and stop sessions automatically or manually. The difference is down to the basis of the development of both apps. Beddit is meant for ordinary people and Emfit was at first developed for athletes, who are mostly younger people. Because Emfit was designed to be only automatic from the start, the developers took into account children and pets which might jump on the bed, hence the minimum times for sessions (vary depending on function) and as a consequence also breaks. 

The developers of SleepyHead and Oscar may have had to omit the consolidation option to get some other function in, or it may have been considered to be too much work to write against how many people it was thought to be useful for. In engineering this is called value analysis.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can easily see that this Value Analysis is going to conclude with the desperate need for the custom sleep session combining and splitting option in OSCAR.

I regularly rotate sleeping patterns and the 12 noon cutoff is making this software pretty useless to me. 

My circadian rythm is very irregular, sometimes I'll wake in the afternoon, sometimes in the night and other times I will be awake in the early hours of the morning and in bed asleep by 5pm.

There needs to be an option where the user can highlight sleep sessions from the timeline and combine or split them into separate sessions. Without this option, it's extremely difficult to track and use the data and at a glance data becomes unreadable. It's extremely frustrating having to mentally piece together and even then, the summaries in OSCAR are wildly different and do not reflect the correct statistics for a given day's sleep session.

This feature desperately needs to be added back to the software and most certainly needs to give the user the option to configure their own sleep sessions and select sleep sessions to combine or split.

I know of at least 5 other people who are not members of this board that have exactly the same issue so this is not isolated to just a few cases by any means.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree this would be a useful feature. Circadian rhythms, night shift work, jet lag, musicians, etc. Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 69 3 hours ago
Last Post: Ibrumley
  OSCAR Reports Omitted Some ResMed Sleep Sessions RTolley 2 122 03-17-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RTolley
  How to delete CPAP data in OSCAR before sleep and after waking? Apnealicious 30 4,495 09-29-2023, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Oscar File Export Sessions DanEm 32 1,888 09-07-2023, 01:32 AM
Last Post: DanEm
  Sessions are all off KStanLD 4 697 07-07-2023, 03:52 PM
Last Post: KStanLD
  Sleep HQ now can import Apple Watch sleep data JCW888 2 1,828 06-02-2023, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
Question How to take OSCAR data to my sleep doctor? Pugsley13 8 1,201 05-17-2023, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Pugsley13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.