Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] When to get a new BIPAP machine?
When to get a new BIPAP machine?
Hi,

It is coming up on the 5 year mark for getting a new machine.  My current machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Auto is running fine.  I thought of trying a similar model Dreamstation.  However, I do not know if their app gets the data from Resperonics or you have to do a Bluetooth pair after every night to see your results.  My Air just uploads it and the app gets the information.  I could also just wait.  A lot to think about.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: When to get a new BIPAP machine?
If you are not having any issues with the ResMed I would not recommend the Respironics for you. If you ha a Respironics I would not recommend a ResMed for the same reason.
Why?
Because the algorithms are different. The ResMed follows your lead on breaths, When you start an inhale it increases pressure, when you start an exhale it follows with a pressure drop.
The Respironics says you should start your inhale NOW and increases pressure, frequently before you start your inhale, when the Respironics thinks you should exhale it drops pressure without waiting for you to initiate it.
That difference, either way, can be difficult to adjust to.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome back. Your profile shows a Resmed S8, so you might want to update the information. If your results are good with Resmed, stick with it for the reasons covered by Fred. Starting the process for a new machine is always a good idea, but insurance is unlikely to approve until 5-years has passed or you have a repair situation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have Medicare, call the DME that you plan to work with and find out how they are applying Medicare's new rules. Some continue to replace after 5 years while others are following stricter guidelines (replacement only after 15,000 hours or requiring repair).
Post Reply Post Reply
I checked and it is every 5 years.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the Aircurve 10 Vauto and am at 10,800 hours. Where are you at on run hours? Looks like I'm closing in on a new machine too.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure on the total run hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can download the clinical manual for your machine at the link at the top of this page https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual On the Airsense 10, the Run Hours are located in the clinical menu, About section. You can enter the menu by holding down the control knob and home button, then entering the setup menu and scrolling down to About. Easy to do and informative.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi!

I am at 5352 hrs.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are not close to needing or qualifying for a machine. Even if you only use your machine 6 hours per night, that represents just 29 months of use, or just over 2-years, and at 8-hours per night that is less than 2-years. As noted in my previous post, I have twice your total run hours and am not considering a new machine yet. A good guideline for replacement is between 12,000 and 15,000 hours or 5 years, unless you have a malfunction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,193 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going. marvin2023 2 552 10-10-2023, 07:26 PM
Last Post: marvin2023
Sad [Treatment] Need help/advise after changing BiPAP Machine dnar82 6 713 09-29-2023, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Can I use Bipap Machine for Cpap Julia63 8 690 09-21-2023, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.