Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SLEEP CAN MAKE YOU MORE RESILIENT
SLEEP CAN MAKE YOU MORE RESILIENT
Just came across an interesting article in The Atlantic and thought I would share ...

Quote:Better Sleep Can Build Emotional Resilience

A new study suggests that people who naturally get more REM sleep may be less sensitive to frightening things.

The authors of a new study published in the Journal of Neuroscience say this is one of the first to show that sound sleep might protect against fear and distress, while a person’s tendency to sleep fitfully can make them more likely to be traumatized later on.

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...ma/543573/
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SLEEP CAN MAKE YOU MORE RESILIENT
Nice to know. Too bad I don't have any way to know how much REM sleep I get each night short of getting a sleep study every night.

Maybe some day.

Thanks
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2017, 01:22 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Nice to know. Too bad I don't have any way to know how much REM sleep I get each night short of getting a sleep study every night.

Maybe some day.

Thanks

If you can remember if you were dreaming, the chances are that you were experiencing REM sleep because dreams usually happen in REM sleep.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not uncommon for people not to remember their dreams. I think I read 60 or 70 percent of people don't remember dreams at any given time. It doesn't mean they weren't in REM though. Than again I do usually remember dreaming but that's coming off the last sleep cycle.
Who knows if I'm dreaming during the other 3 or 4 cycles. I'm no expert just tossing it out there.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
My brother swears by his apple watch which apparently records REM and other sleep stages.
My tracker only shows 'light' and 'restful' sleep. The timing is remarkably accurate though and suggests it can tell the difference between couch time and bed time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2017, 03:29 PM)Doza Wrote: My brother swears by his apple watch which apparently records REM and other sleep stages.  
My tracker only shows 'light' and 'restful' sleep.  The timing is remarkably accurate though and suggests it can tell the difference between  couch time and bed time.

No disrespect intended, but the makers of third-party apps that purport to use onboard sensors (especially the accelerometer) to measure sleep stages may be selling smoke and mirrors. https://www.livescience.com/42710-fitnes...uracy.html
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2017, 08:08 PM)srlevine1 Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 03:29 PM)Doza Wrote: My brother swears by his apple watch which apparently records REM and other sleep stages.  
My tracker only shows 'light' and 'restful' sleep.  The timing is remarkably accurate though and suggests it can tell the difference between  couch time and bed time.

No disrespect intended, but the makers of third-party apps that purport to use onboard sensors (especially the accelerometer) to measure sleep stages may be selling smoke and mirrors. https://www.livescience.com/42710-fitnes...uracy.html

None taken at all.  It's my bro who swears by his,  not me by mine, necessarily  Cool  
What mine helps me most with is activity during the day... I couldn't afford an apple one to make an argument for anyway, much as it would be fun to play with.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 591 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 214 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 353 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,413 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
Exclaimation SSRI's Can Make it Worse.. AlaskanJaeger 3 562 12-17-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredpanda

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.