Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any advice for what seems to be treatment-emergent central apnea?
Any advice for what seems to be treatment-emergent central apnea?
I've been trying to use my CPAP, but I still wake up every day feeling awful. I was prescribed it a few years ago and used it diligently for the first three or four months but eventually became unable to tolerate it due to other medical issues. I used my CPAP sporadically until the past month when I was able to get my health issues under control enough that I've really been pushing myself to use the CPAP. I asked my doctor about treating the central apneas, but he won't make any recommendations or adjustments to my treatment since my AHI is under 5.

I was diagnosed with obstructive apnea based on an at-home sleep study with an AHI of 15, and as far as I'm aware, I was not suffering from central apneas before treatment. Over the past month, my obstructive index averaged 0.25 per hour, but my clear airway index was closer to 3. 

I am really struggling. I'm currently dealing with so much fatigue and tiredness that I'm completely disabled. I can't work, exercise, engage in hobbies or a social life, drive, be intimate with my partner, do any housework, or even keep up with basic self-care like brushing my teeth and showering. I'm debilitated to the point I'm essentially bed-bound from fatigue, and I'm just not getting the relief I should be getting from CPAP therapy. Any help would be really appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any advice for what seems to be treatment-emergent central apnea?
Not seeing a heck of a lot wrong there. Do you actually use the ramp of 45 minutes at the start of the night?

Post Reply Post Reply
EPR can cause centrals. If you want to see if it helps lower EPR to 2 and then 1 and see if it is helpful. Later as your body adjusts to therapy you can increase the EPR up 1 and after awhile up another 1.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Set your min to 8.
There is nothing in your charts that say to, but try it and see if it's better. Note that this may increase your centrals

As Stacey said you can decrease your EPR and see if that helps.

I don't want you to eliminate the centrals, I want your body to better adapt to your CPAP use and in your case that means having some centrals.

Do increase your min pressure though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Treatment induced central events go away with time. The more you use it, the more your body and brain adjust. Some people never get rid of them but most do. Use your CPAP. Follow the advice above. Keeping working at it. Even use the machine for a half hour or so each day while sitting on the couch watching TV. This helps to get you acclimated.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I want to say I’ve been setting the ramp to “auto”?

For my own edification, why do you recommend increasing the minimum pressure to 8?

For my own edification, why do you recommend increasing the minimum pressure to 8?
Post Reply Post Reply
Ramp is an issue because during the ramp time you're not getting the prescribed amount of pressure, not getting proper EPR and not getting an automatic adjustment in pressure until the ramp expires.

Post Reply Post Reply
"currently dealing with so much fatigue and tiredness"
This implies that you could be dealing with not enough air or volume, or not enough oxygen, even if your numbers are good.

A Min of 8 should have a positive effective on you and will do no harm. We can always adjust later if need be.

Also most users just need a min of 7 or 8. Fu) use of EPR also nefs a min of 7, even 8f you don't appear to need it for treatment of hypopneas.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 3 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 572 4 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 52 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 171 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 863 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,797 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.