Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

% SPONT C and %SPONT T - question?
RE: % SPONT C and %SPONT T - question?
(10-27-2013, 08:01 PM)Peter_C Wrote:
(10-27-2013, 04:35 AM)vsheline Wrote: If you could definitely feel a difference between the two sets of settings, this would mean the machine is reacting differently (quickly versus slowly) to your spontaneous breathing.

If the sensitivity changes are making the machine react differently when it senses the transitions between inhale versus exhale, then it is sensing your spontaneous trasitions, and if the %SPONT numbers were always zero, then the zero values are invalid, disabled, whatever.

I did the test, and gave it plenty of time on each setting, with no change at all to either the SPONT C or the SPONT T. So guess I will ignore those two...

Hi Peter,

Did you feel any difference between the two sets of settings?

(Only if you definitely felt a difference between the two sets of settings would the test prove %SPONT values are invalid.)

--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, very much so. Am not yet sure which is the start(er) and which is the end(er), but there is a difference on how much of an inhale is needed to kick into IPAP, and the transition from IPAP back to EPAP. Am trying to figure out (CYCLE or TRIGGER) which one starts IPAP as I like the earlier start, and I like the later transition back to EPAP. So, yes I notice it changing, and, I can see a benefit in adjusting the values from the default of MED. However, it did not change the data at all for SPONT C or SPONT T.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
When you did your test, did you try (a) purposely quickening your breathing rate, and (b) purposely stopping breathing to let the AutoServo kick in, to see what effect those had on your SPONT values?
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not clear there, as if I 'hold my breath', my machine stays in EPAP, waiting for me to inhale. If I breathe slow or fast it matches me, so well that most of the time I can't tell if it is matching me, or I am matching it. What little documentation I have found for my machine basically states the different ways it can be setup (CPAP, Spontaneous, Autoset), and what the possible choices are for each setting. But my machine will not add 'extra breaths' if I do not breathe often enough.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Whoops, my mistake. For some reason, I thought you had an Auto-Servo machine and that the values had to do with whether the Auto-Servo kicked in or not. You have a vanilla Bi-Level CPAP. So, new question: when you tested, did you explicitly try (a) very quickly going from an exhale to an inhale, and (b) very quickly going from an inhale to an exhale? Even breathing more quickly, I can see that you might keep the same sort of "ratio" between inhale timing and exhale timing. I suspect these values might relate to how that "ratio" relates to the built-in timing of IPAP/EPAP transitions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yuppers, went all over the map. Breathed naturally, held my breath, start and stop, panted, etc... Got a good 15 minutes (or longer) in each mode, then checked results - then since I was tired, took a nap with my wife waking me 45 minutes later, changed settings again, and went back to sleep.

Changing the setting *did* change how the machine acted-how fast/slow it switched from EPAP to IPAP, etc... but nothing affected the data results for SPONT C or SPONT T. ZJust has continued to always show 0% - so either broken or disabled I guess.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Importance of Spont Cycle % SingleH 10 634 01-14-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,422 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.