Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

% SPONT C and %SPONT T - question?
% SPONT C and %SPONT T - question?
I do not use software. But my machine does give some data, and for each set of data, it lists DAY | Week | month | six months | year.

Two data sets that I do not know what they mean, or why I get the results that I do are:

"% SPONT C"
"% SPONT T"

For the above two data sets the result is always " 0% " - for both?? Is this good or bad, and/or, what does this mean?

Also, my leak rate bounces between 0.70L/s and 0.38L/S - is this acceptable, or is this throwing my other results off? I get just a single number for this data, so am not clear if it is the highest leak, or the average leak. After inspecting mask hose chamber and headgear I can not find any issues, and this nasal mask fits well with no leaks when awake.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: % SPONT C and %SPONT T - question?
Found this on another forum:

spont t
Quote:Spontaneous trigger rate is the rate at which your own breathing caused the transition from exhale to inhale (EPAP-to-IPAP). Ideally your body spontaneously triggers this machine transition 100% of the time (that's not always possible). But the machine's timing rate seems to be rushing each of your own inhale transitions instead of allowing for a natural, spontaneous transition.

spont c
Quote:Spontaneous cycle rate is the rate at which your own breathing caused the transition from inhale to exhale (IPAP-to-EPAP). Ideally your body spontaneously cycles this machine transition 100% of the time (again, not always possible). But the machine's timing rate seems to be rushing each of your own exhale transitions instead of allowing for a natural, spontaneous transition.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2013, 01:37 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Found this on another forum:

spont t
Quote:Spontaneous trigger rate is the rate at which your own breathing caused the transition from exhale to inhale (EPAP-to-IPAP). Ideally your body spontaneously triggers this machine transition 100% of the time (that's not always possible). But the machine's timing rate seems to be rushing each of your own inhale transitions instead of allowing for a natural, spontaneous transition.

spont c
Quote:Spontaneous cycle rate is the rate at which your own breathing caused the transition from inhale to exhale (IPAP-to-EPAP). Ideally your body spontaneously cycles this machine transition 100% of the time (again, not always possible). But the machine's timing rate seems to be rushing each of your own exhale transitions instead of allowing for a natural, spontaneous transition.

Thank you for the explanation.
OK - so that's what it means. But what about the fact that my machine reads ZERO PERCENT for both - for DAY, WEEK, or MONTH?

Does that mean that my machine is broken, or I am broken? There is no setting to alter this (I think).

There is MIN IPAP, and MAX IPAP, but the max only goes to 4.0 seconds. I read that it stays in IPAP until either: I stop inhaling, or the max of 4 seconds goes by.

My machine stay in EPAP until it senses that I start to inhale, then switches to IPAP - I must be missing something here???
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Not a clue. It could be you've not got it set to show that. Or you aren't switching on your own at all and the machine is doing it for you. Or you are doing it all the time and it is doing it 0%.

This is where using software may help some.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm - I hope others might chime in with more info - I am still here and sleeping, breathing - so that's a plus, right Smile)

Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone have any thoughts on my leak rate? Is this OK, high, low? I don't really know what is acceptable, and what isn't?

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2013, 10:39 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Anyone have any thoughts on my leak rate? Is this OK, high, low? I don't really know what is acceptable, and what isn't?
Hi Peter
The number you get from the machine screen is 95% percentile ... for 95% of the time you were at or below this number
ResMed consider leak rate above 0.4 L/s (24 L/m) is associated with patient discomfort, disturbed sleep, and reduced efficacy of treatment
You need the software for detailed data, not sure if your machine uses SD card or smart card (smart card require special card reader)

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2013, 11:09 PM)zonk Wrote:
(10-16-2013, 10:39 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Anyone have any thoughts on my leak rate? Is this OK, high, low? I don't really know what is acceptable, and what isn't?
Hi Peter
The number you get from the machine screen is 95% percentile ... for 95% of the time you were at or below this number
ResMed consider leak rate above 0.4 L/s (24 L/m) is associated with patient discomfort, disturbed sleep, and reduced efficacy of treatment
You need the software for detailed data, not sure if your machine uses SD card or smart card (smart card require special card reader)

Thanks for the answer. I am not sure what my machine uses either. There is a cover in back, but no slot for a memory stick, nor any stick in place, so I suspect it is for some kind of attachment.

I would assume that if my water chamber, hose, or mask had any leaks, they would be rather easy to find? I've been using my machine so long that it isn't so much that I open my mouth, but rather air simply escapes between my lips.

The odd part is that my leak rate is bout the same if not higher if I switch to my FFM mask (which of course, is not as comfortable).

I guess what I am wondering is how to pin down whatever leaks I have using only the tools I have to work with? Buying some kind of reader cable is not in the cards due to my fixed income, I do have spare new parts, so I guess I could simply start swapping things out? But am also wondering if there is anything I am missing - something else I should be checking?

AHI tends to bounce a bit, but stays under 10, and my AI hangs around 1.3 or so, so I am pleased with those numbers (if accurate??).

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2013, 03:21 PM)Peter_C Wrote:
(10-15-2013, 01:37 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Found this on another forum:

spont t

spont c

Thank you for the explanation.
OK - so that's what it means. But what about the fact that my machine reads ZERO PERCENT for both - for DAY, WEEK, or MONTH?

Does that mean that my machine is broken, or I am broken?

Hi Peter_C,

I think there are 4 settings which can affect the % SPONT C and % SPONT T.

On your machine, what are the values for the following settings?
1. TiMin (min time machine stays in inhalation)
2. TiMax (max time machine stays in inhalation)
3. Trigger sensitivity
4. Cycle sensitivity

ADDED:

Clinical Guide for Auto 25 says:

Trigger/Cycle: VERY LOW/LOW/MED/HIGH/VERY HIGH

Trigger: "Sets the level of inspiratory flow above which the VPAP changes from EPAP to IPAP."
[Actually, the wording here in the Clinical Guide seems misleading, because a picture is included which shows clearly that the VERY HIGH setting causes the earliest (most sensitive) transition from EPAP to IPAP, when the inspiratory flow has not yet risen very much and is still low. The VERY LOW setting produces the lowest sensitivity to the start of inhalation, delaying the transition from EPAP to IPAP until the amount of inspiratory flow is larger.]

Cycle: "Sets the level of inspiratory flow below which the VPAP changes from IPAP to EPAP."
[The Clinical Guide includes a picture which shows clearly that the VERY HIGH setting causes the earliest (most sensitive) transition from EPAP to IPAP, when the Inspiratory flow has dropped a little but is still fairly high. A setting of VERY LOW delays the transition from EPAP to IPAP until the inspiratory flow has dropped to a low amount (but has not yet dropped to zero, so this is toward the very end of inhalation and before exhalation.]

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Prior to last night, the 'trigger' and cycle' were on their default settings of 'MED'. I then changed them before going to sleep last night to 'LOW" (both of them).

Settings:
MODE: VAUTO
Max IPAP: 25
Min EPAP: 7
Press SUP: 6
Ti Max: 4.0s
Ti Min: 0.3s
EXHALATION: MED
SMARTSTART: ON
Mask: STANDARD
Leak Alert: OFF
TRIGGER: Low
CYCLE: Low
Tube Length: 3m
MaxSettle: off

Data from last night (10/19/2013)
USEAGE: 9:48hrs

Item | DAY | WEEK |
LEAK: 0.46L/s 0.48L/s
VT: 420-860 360-780
Resp Rate: 10-15 10-15
MV: 5.2-10.3 5.0-9.6
PRESS: 13.4 13.2
AHI: 19.6 11.2
AI: 4.4 2.3
%SPONT T: 0% 0%
%SPONT C: 0% 0%

I noticed no real change, other than having one of those nights where you don't even notice the air flow in your mask.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Importance of Spont Cycle % SingleH 10 638 01-14-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,423 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.