Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SSC safety [Data First Night, see post 7]
SSC safety [Data First Night, see post 7]
I was advised some while ago to get an SSC (Soft Surgical Collar) in order to help my apnoea. I have read the wiki on it and while it seems safe I did note the disclaimer on the Wiki.

Is anyone aware of any reported cases of anyone who has come to grief using this item?

I am keen to give it a try but I have anxiety about it.
Respironics Dreamstation Auto CPAP ay 8 cm. fixed pressure.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SSC safety
Chalkie,
Are you suffering with clusters of Obstructives caused from what we call chin tucking?  You could post some data for advice.  

We have many members that use a "soft" cervical collar to help with chin tucking.  It's not for everyone, but for those that use it, most have found success in eliminating clusters of Obstructives.  

I have no recollection of anyone reporting an injury from a "soft" collar as long as it's worn properly.

Note:  We're not talking about surgical collars, but "soft" cervical collars.  There is a difference.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I do think the historical about the Soft Cervical Collar would have been due to apnea clustering via chin tucking. I myself have not heard of any ill effects due to using one. The medical personnel are going to typically give negative feedback possibly due to their lack of the reasoning why we'd suggest this. Medical professionals are very slow to adjust mindsets and viewpoints on things of this sort, especially within the Apnea treatment segment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...h-new-mask

Bonjour recommnded an SCC an on the basi sp ghjr data in this trhread. I tbink i will give it a go soon.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not a big deal, go for it.
I'm known in the homebrewing circles, we have a saying, Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.  Seriously it will all work out and come together.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to know boinjour Smile

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Data on first night with SSC

I finally got to spend part of a night's sleep wearing an SSC. In the data above it is the second half of the night.

On the basis of this data, is it possible to say whether I am in fact a chin tucking, as has been suggested, and whether the SSC is helping?

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SSC safety [Data First Night, see post 7]
Chalkie, your two threads have been merged.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure what to make of the data with a high leak rate such as it is. With the leaks touching 190 at some of the time, I question the accuracy of the rest of the chart.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I am posting the data from last night using an SSC, in the awareness of possible distortoin through leaks. I am also posting a chart from pre-SSC for comparison.

If we can just park the issue of leaks for a moment though, and asusme that the data has some value, does anything spring out that my be helpful?

Last night:

Pre-SSC:

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 115 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,817 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 140 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,818 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 168 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  First post, provider is not much help. DPAlaska 2 269 01-26-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: DPAlaska

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.