Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pillow on a wedge pillow?
Pillow on a wedge pillow?
I’ve been using a wedge pillow for like a year. My cpap settings were adjusted to 5-20 auto like a month ago. With just the wedge pillow my AHI would hover around 5-7 staring putting a regular pillow on top of wedge pillow last 5 days now it’s like 2-3 AHI’s. Any reason why? Or the extra added elevation makes it easier for me to breathe so in turn my events come down
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pillow on a wedge pillow?
I would guess that the position does help you. Advice often given to people without a CPAP is to try sleeping in a recliner to help lessen the apnea.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
A better guess may be able to be provided if you post Sleepyhead charts.   Data always helps, even if it's just to say not that.

Also 5-20 is typically an auto starter setting, We frequently get better results after tweaking settings, but it is an excellent place to start. (added this line)

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
The more elevated you are the easier it tends to be to breathe for most people.
5 might be a bit low if sitting more upright is helping, I would tend to raise it a little to see if that helps get rid of some of the apneas.
However, without charts it is hard to say what is going on.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
A little off subject, but a wedge pillow is not intended to be used alone and its name confuses many people. Even with the wedge, you should continue to use your desired standard pillow on top of the wedge. Think of it this way, the intent is to raise your upper body a few degrees above horizontal usually to help with some medical problem such as GERD or SA in this case. Many people with GERD prefer to just place blocks under the bed frame to get the desired effect without having to mess with an additional pillow on the bed. There are blocks available many places that are designed to do just this; raise the head of the bed (inclines the entire bed actually).

A little farther off topic; there is now research that says inclining the entire bed has many health benefits. This does not mean a power head lift, which is commonly available (we have one), but inclining the entire bed a few degrees (as blocks would do). It will be interesting to see if that takes off and becomes common.
Post Reply Post Reply
the entire bed on an incline didn't work for me or my wife. if you want to test it put phone books or something under the bed legs before investing in the bed raisers. to me it was almost like sleeping on a roof.

i have about a 4" wedge with pillow on top of that that i lay on with another little pillow. works good. started out for gerd so i've been using it a long time.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,861 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 264 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 451 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 340 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 396 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 662 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.