Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ST vs ASV - studies about risk
ST vs ASV - studies about risk
Not too long ago, I remember someone mentioning the well-known study involving risks of ASV and it was pointed out that ST's were not considered (and I think it was mentioned they have the same or a similar risk). I cannot remember what was said though. Can someone point me to the thread, or remind me if ST's have the same risks as ASV? Thanks. (background: I am being considered for ST)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ST vs ASV - studies about risk
If I recall correctly, the point in the thread you mentioned is that only ASVs have been studied with respect to ejection fractions, not STs (therefore risks being unknown) in addition to the seeming flaws of the ASV study itself.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Might have been this thread.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...+versus+ST
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2018, 01:00 AM)Spy Car Wrote: If I recall correctly, the point in the thread you mentioned is that only ASVs have been studied with respect to ejection fractions, not STs (therefore risks being unknown) in addition to the seeming flaws of the ASV study itself.

Bill

Yes, that's true as well, as far as my understanding would be on it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Talk to your doctor. From the limited reading I have done. They have treated CHF apnea with ST for years. I have not seen a flag raised for LVEF and death with ST. Or any other mode, other than ASV. Fixed cpap, S and ST are standard modes.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2018, 01:18 AM)ajack Wrote: Talk to your doctor. From the limited reading I have done. They have treated CHF apnea with ST for years. I have not seen a flag raised for LVEF and death with ST. Or any other mode, other than ASV.  Fixed cpap, S and ST are standard modes.

Possibly because ST was never studied or the subject of a flawed study. 

To my knowledge, ASV was "flagged" only due to one study whose methodology and conclusions have provoked skepticism.

Has it been established that ST is of less risk to LVEF patients than ASV? I've seen nothing to suggest this is proven.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm happy to look at what you found. I haven't found anything myself and I have looked when this has been talked about before.
As I see it, I think ASV was flagged because people were dying, who were put on an ASV with impaired LVEF. I think this would have become apparent with or without the trial. ST was the standard treatment for central apnea, both with and without impaired LVEF. ASV is only a relatively recent mode. They put people on ASV and it failed this sub group.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your input.

Dave, you found the thread I was thinking of, Thank You so much!!

Within the thread, there was mention of CPAP + supplemental oxygen being successfully used for those that are ineligible for ASV. The pulmonologist thinks I should be on supplemental oxygen. I'm going to ask the sleep doctor about using my AirCurve 10 VAuto + O2 before titrating for ST. If it works, perhaps I can skip the ST altogether?
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. BTW not certain, but the mentioned thread might have been split to a second, separate thread due to topic "drift" in the latter postings via Board Mod.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave the thread drift was put into a thread you started here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ed-5-15-17
This conversation was occurring in a therapy thread by Larryrapp and it just seemed like it should be on its own.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELP WITH SLEEP STUDIES PLEASE Johnny Bravo 17 1,008 03-08-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Johnny Bravo
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  CPAP Treatment and the Risk of Recurrent Cardiovascular Events Rgn3 0 418 10-09-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Rgn3
  Is in-lab titration study needed for higher-risk patient who wants to avoid COVID? DevinJones 19 1,377 03-11-2023, 07:37 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  [Symptoms] I'm scared. Am I at risk of death? Or is my pulse oximeter acting up? 444stranger444 5 834 08-04-2022, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Is OSCAR showing my life at risk?? racprops 3 672 07-18-2022, 07:11 AM
Last Post: racprops
  2 PSG Studies w/ RERAS, Unsure OSA/UARS Diagnosis and APAP Pressure SleepyTeacher 5 949 04-13-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.